Windows 8

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Hello,

I wonder if anybody has reflected yet, what the windows 8 metro paradigm
means for our standard LiveCode applications?

I didn't downloaded yet the beta version, but I think most programs will run
also under windows 8.

But what would we have to change in our programs to be "fully win8
compliant"? It's probably not only just a "Metro" Icon for the App? What
about making a program "really" touch screen compatible for tablet PCs?
Making all menus, fields and fonts larger? Or what has to be done behind the
screens? What will have runrev to do in livecode?

Any ideas yet?

Tiemo

Re: Windows 8

Andrew Kluthe
I don't really foresee livecode being able to build metro apps anytime in next couple of years. Chances are that livecode apps will work almost like they do in win7, but will require some tweeks to fix some of the compatibility issues with the new api. But livecode building metro apps? I just don't see runrev thinking about putting that up as any kind of priority.

Re: Windows 8

François Chaplais-3
Look Metro, Look Mountain Lion, look Mobile...
I think the motto "code once, deploy everywhere..." should be severely reevaluated. This is not the 90s anymore.
The future (if any) for livecode looks more, to me, like "faceless code once, easily build a GUI for every platform".
The times, they are a-changin'....
Best regards,
        François
Le 6 mars 2012 à 17:57, Andrew Kluthe a écrit :

> I don't really foresee livecode being able to build metro apps anytime in
> next couple of years. Chances are that livecode apps will work almost like
> they do in win7, but will require some tweeks to fix some of the
> compatibility issues with the new api. But livecode building metro apps? I
> just don't see runrev thinking about putting that up as any kind of
> priority.

AW: Windows 8

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Hi Andrew,
I am actually not in this matter yet.
What do you think of, that would be necessary to build metro Apps?
And which tweaks to you think of to be Win8 compatible?
Do you think the current Apps won't run under Win8?
Tiemo

Re: Windows 8

xtalkprogrammer

I just installed an app with an installer created by the Installer Maker Plugin and it seems to work fine. The app appears in the overview of colorized bricks, next to LiveCode.

It looks like LiveCode apps won't work "almost like they do in Windows 7" but they will work just fine, as they do in Win XP up to and including 7. After all, Windows 8 is just like Windows 7 once you have found the door in the brick wall. The secret entrance is a brick called Desktop. The usual door in the bottom-left is gone. I hope we'll soon be able to get to the desktop on startup automatically.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Download the Installer Maker Plugin 1.7 for LiveCode here http://qery.us/za

On 6 mrt 2012, at 17:57, Andrew Kluthe wrote:

> I don't really foresee livecode being able to build metro apps anytime in
> next couple of years. Chances are that livecode apps will work almost like
> they do in win7, but will require some tweeks to fix some of the
> compatibility issues with the new api. But livecode building metro apps? I
> just don't see runrev thinking about putting that up as any kind of
> priority.

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Windows 8

Tim Jones
On Mar 6, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed an app with an installer created by the Installer Maker Plugin and it seems to work fine. The app appears in the overview of colorized bricks, next to LiveCode.
>
> It looks like LiveCode apps won't work "almost like they do in Windows 7" but they will work just fine, as they do in Win XP up to and including 7. After all, Windows 8 is just like Windows 7 once you have found the door in the brick wall. The secret entrance is a brick called Desktop. The usual door in the bottom-left is gone. I hope we'll soon be able to get to the desktop on startup automatically.

In Win8 DP1, you could set the Desktop as your staring point.  Apparently, they discovered that the vast majority of developers were doing just that and ignoring the Metro screen so they removed the ability in CP1.

"We've ignored our customers and put far too much effort into this, so you will run Metro, and you WILL like it!"

Tim

Re: Windows 8

xtalkprogrammer
Thanks for the reply, Tim. In one word: awful.

--

On 6 mrt 2012, at 19:04, Tim Jones wrote:

> In Win8 DP1, you could set the Desktop as your staring point.  Apparently, they discovered that the vast majority of developers were doing just that and ignoring the Metro screen so they removed the ability in CP1.
>
> "We've ignored our customers and put far too much effort into this, so you will run Metro, and you WILL like it!"
>
> Tim

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

AW: Windows 8

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Thanks Mark for your first experiences!
Tiemo

mwieder
Tim Jones <tolistim@...> writes:

> In Win8 DP1, you could set the Desktop as your staring point.  Apparently,
they discovered that the vast
> majority of developers were doing just that and ignoring the Metro screen so
they removed the ability in CP1.

Yeah - I miss that in the new release, but at least it's only one more click.

> "We've ignored our customers and put far too much effort into this, so you
will run Metro, and you WILL like it!"

I don't *like* it yet, but I'm getting closer to not hating it.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Windows 8

Andrew Kluthe
I assumed that there would be some hiccups here and there seeing as how they removed win32 api for winRT api, Mark.