Windows standalones?

Richmond Mathewson-2
Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:

libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll

in the Windows standalone folder.

1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?

2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them in
the shipment?

3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end
users about those 3 files?

Re: Windows standalones?

Bernard Devlin-2
They are the SSL libraries.  You need them if you are doing encryption or
using secure sockets/https.

Bernard

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
> Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:
>
> libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll
>
> in the Windows standalone folder.
>
> 1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?
>
> 2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them in the
> shipment?
>
> 3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end users
> about those 3 files?
>
> Richmond.

Re: Windows standalones?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Richmond,

I think there was a bug, which caused these libraries to be included all
the time and Revolution to crash if you removed them. Are they also
added if you select libraries for inclusion manually?

What would you do, if someone sends you an application, consisting of a
bunch of files? Would you throw away a few random files because you
don't see why you'd need them?

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour spaces. http://www.color-converter.com

We have time for new software development projects. Contact me for a quote.

On 14 January, we suffered severe server problems. If you tried to send an e-mail between 13 and 18 January and didn't get a reply, please try again.

On 2/24/2013 10:55, Richmond wrote:

> Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
> Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:
>
> libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll
>
> in the Windows standalone folder.
>
> 1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?
>
> 2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them in
> the shipment?
>
> 3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end
> users about those 3 files?
>
> Richmond.

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Windows standalones?

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 02/24/2013 12:35 PM, Bernard Devlin wrote:
> They are the SSL libraries.  You need them if you are doing encryption or
> using secure sockets/https.
>
> Bernard

Thank you very much.

I'm not, so, presumably, I'm fine if I chuck them out.

Richmond.

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
>> Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:
>>
>> libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll
>>
>> in the Windows standalone folder.
>>
>> 1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?
>>
>> 2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them in the
>> shipment?
>>
>> 3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end users
>> about those 3 files?
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Windows standalones?

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 02/24/2013 02:31 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> I think there was a bug, which caused these libraries to be included
> all the time and Revolution to crash if you removed them. Are they
> also added if you select libraries for inclusion manually?
>
> What would you do, if someone sends you an application, consisting of
> a bunch of files? Would you throw away a few random files because you
> don't see why you'd need them?

No, I wouldn't,

BUT, I would throw away those files before I sent the thing out to
end-users if I thought they

a) were not needed

and

b) would just confuse the end-users.

> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other
> colour spaces. http://www.color-converter.com
>
> We have time for new software development projects. Contact me for a
> quote.
>
> On 14 January, we suffered severe server problems. If you tried to
> send an e-mail between 13 and 18 January and didn't get a reply,
> please try again.
>
> On 2/24/2013 10:55, Richmond wrote:
>> Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
>> Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:
>>
>> libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll
>>
>> in the Windows standalone folder.
>>
>> 1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?
>>
>> 2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them
>> in the shipment?
>>
>> 3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end
>> users about those 3 files?
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Windows standalones?

Roger Eller
"end users", this is the key. Windows applications are normally delivered
via an installer, which place the executable and dll's inside the Program
Files folder. Users typically don't look in the there because a Shortcut is
on the Desktop, and in the Start menu. There was is a great and free
installer creator, which I can't remember what its called at this moment.
I'll look for it and reply.

~Roger

Sent from my Pipo M2
Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:

libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll

in the Windows standalone folder.

1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?

2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them in the
shipment?

3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end users
about those 3 files?

Re: Windows standalones?

Klaus on-rev
Hi Roger,

Am 24.02.2013 um 18:24 schrieb Roger Eller <[hidden email]>:

> "end users", this is the key. Windows applications are normally delivered
> via an installer, which place the executable and dll's inside the Program
> Files folder. Users typically don't look in the there because a Shortcut is
> on the Desktop, and in the Start menu. There was is a great and free
> installer creator, which I can't remember what its called at this moment.
> I'll look for it and reply.

this is the wonderful "Inno Setup": <http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php>

And it is free, just to please Richmond :-)

> ~Roger
>
> Sent from my Pipo M2
> Every time I churn out a Windows standalone (whether on Linux or on
> Macintosh) I end up with 2 files:
> libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll
> in the Windows standalone folder.
>
> 1.  What are they for /; what do they do ?
> 2. When I ship a Windows standalone is it necessary to include them in the
> shipment?
> 3.  If the answer to #2 is 'Yes' what instructions should I give end users
> about those 3 files?
>
> Richmond.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Windows standalones?

xtalkprogrammer
Richmond,

BUT you asked: what instructions do I give? And the answer you give
yourself is: none.

--

On 2/24/2013 16:13, Richmond wrote:

> No, I wouldn't,
>
> BUT, I would throw away those files before I sent the thing out to
> end-users if I thought they
>
> a) were not needed
>
> and
>
> b) would just confuse the end-users.
>
> Richmond.

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Windows standalones?

xtalkprogrammer

There's also the Installer Maker Plugin. Not free, but it gets installed
as part of LiveCode.
You can download a trial copy at http://qery.us/356

--

On 2/24/2013 18:28, Klaus on-rev wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> Am 24.02.2013 um 18:24 schrieb Roger Eller <[hidden email]>:
>
>> "end users", this is the key. Windows applications are normally delivered
>> via an installer, which place the executable and dll's inside the Program
>> Files folder. Users typically don't look in the there because a Shortcut is
>> on the Desktop, and in the Start menu. There was is a great and free
>> installer creator, which I can't remember what its called at this moment.
>> I'll look for it and reply.
> this is the wonderful "Inno Setup": <http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php>
>
> And it is free, just to please Richmond :-)
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Windows standalones?

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 02/24/2013 07:28 PM, Klaus on-rev wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> Am 24.02.2013 um 18:24 schrieb Roger Eller <[hidden email]>:
>
>> "end users", this is the key. Windows applications are normally delivered
>> via an installer, which place the executable and dll's inside the Program
>> Files folder. Users typically don't look in the there because a Shortcut is
>> on the Desktop, and in the Start menu. There was is a great and free
>> installer creator, which I can't remember what its called at this moment.
>> I'll look for it and reply.
> this is the wonderful "Inno Setup": <http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php>
>
> And it is free, just to please Richmond :-)

Whacko!