WordReport Help

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I am having difficulty with a data tag in WordReport.  I am using LC 6.1.3.

How do you keep a data tag from inserting an extra line after the data tag?   I have one data tag that keeps inserting an extra line before a non-data tag line.  The data tag has a cr immediately after it. When a Word document is created, the cr is moved to the next line creating an extra line.  I have look at formatting but cannot figure how to fix the problem.

Sent from my iPad

Re: WordReport Help

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

 > How do you keep a data tag from inserting
 > an extra line after the data tag?

BTW, Charles is aware that I can look into this issue if he sends me a
test stack and template to examine precisely what's going on with the
tag and the data. I may charge a fee if I need to edit templates or user
code. Unfortunately I don't feel on firm ground to venture an opinion on
this one myself without seeing the actual test. Otherwise too many
unknowns! Thanks, Charles.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

WordLib: Take charge of MS Word and OpenOffice documents
SpreadLib: "Excel-lent" spreadsheet import/export for LC
http://livecodeaddons.com/

Re: WordReport Help

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Charles,

On the surface it sounds to me like it might be a text encoding issue.
You could do an experiment to find out. Since the textEncode() function
isn't available in LC 6.1.3, you would have to use uniEncode() to encode
your Word doc content before writing it to disk and handing it off to Word.

I'm rusty, but I believe you would do it like so:

     put uniEncode(tMyContent) into url ("binfile:" & tMyDocPath)

Like I said, this is an experiment to see if it makes the desired
difference! But at least it might tell you something. And it's possible
it will change other parts of your document into a form you don't want.

And it's possible I'm altogether wrong!

Best -
Phil Davis

On 4/10/18 9:25 PM, Charles Szasz via use-livecode wrote:

> I am having difficulty with a data tag in WordReport.  I am using LC 6.1.3.
>
> How do you keep a data tag from inserting an extra line after the data tag?   I have one data tag that keeps inserting an extra line before a non-data tag line.  The data tag has a cr immediately after it. When a Word document is created, the cr is moved to the next line creating an extra line.  I have look at formatting but cannot figure how to fix the problem.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Phil Davis

Re: WordReport Help

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input!  The data tag was working before this anomaly occurred.  The text in the data tag is just regular text.  The font is Times New Roman.  The text and formatting were not changed in the data tag.  I am hoping that someone who uses WordReport can give me insight on this problem.

There are a few general rules in the WordReport for data tags but no suggestions to aid in resolving this type of problem.  Since WordReport uses brackets for the data tags, I am guessing that it is using merge in creating a Word document.  I never used merge in any of my projects.  So, this problem could be possibly related to merge.

I paid Curry for the initial WordReport template.  Curry was very helpful in setting up the template for WordReport.  It worked on a consistent basis for a few days until yesterday.  I am thinking that Word for the Mac may be the culprit. I used Word for Mac in adding a data tag to the template.  But no other changes were made to the template.

I am going to try Word for Windows today to see if this will fix the problem.  Curry indicated that he does not think Word for the Mac is the problem, however.  But I am pretty sure Curry used Word for Windows in creating the data tags in the template.

Sent from my iPad

Re: WordReport Help

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
While on a walk just now, I was thinking about line endings on Mac vs.
Windows - they are different! I think you're right - open your original
template in Word for Windows, add your tag, and save & close it. Then it
will probably work as you expect.

Phil

On 4/11/18 10:52 AM, Charles Szasz via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Thanks for your input!  The data tag was working before this anomaly occurred.  The text in the data tag is just regular text.  The font is Times New Roman.  The text and formatting were not changed in the data tag.  I am hoping that someone who uses WordReport can give me insight on this problem.
>
> There are a few general rules in the WordReport for data tags but no suggestions to aid in resolving this type of problem.  Since WordReport uses brackets for the data tags, I am guessing that it is using merge in creating a Word document.  I never used merge in any of my projects.  So, this problem could be possibly related to merge.
>
> I paid Curry for the initial WordReport template.  Curry was very helpful in setting up the template for WordReport.  It worked on a consistent basis for a few days until yesterday.  I am thinking that Word for the Mac may be the culprit. I used Word for Mac in adding a data tag to the template.  But no other changes were made to the template.
>
> I am going to try Word for Windows today to see if this will fix the problem.  Curry indicated that he does not think Word for the Mac is the problem, however.  But I am pretty sure Curry used Word for Windows in creating the data tags in the template.
>

> Sent from my iPad

Phil Davis

Re: WordReport Help

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Yes, no end of problems with this "helpful" thing Word for Mac does. It silently changes line endings, borking any file that expects them to be something OTHER than what the MacOS uses. For instance I cannot export an address book from a Toshiba copier and open it in MacOS, *even if I do not save it*!!! Office for Mac will silently and erroneously (IMHO) change the line endings "for me". If I do, the file will not import back into the Toshiba.

Bob S