Working between two stacks

Glen Bojsza
After some time of troubleshooting my application I realized that I
had made an assumption how information flows between two stacks.

In stack "build" I have a button that does several calculations and at
one point opens another stack where the user is to determine what
parameters they want to include.

STACK "BUILD"

on mouseUP
-- do calcs
modal stack "Input"
--do more calcs based on user selection from modal stack "Input"

My problem is obvious now ... the mouseUp in STACK "BUILD" continues
not waiting for the user input from the STACK "Input"

What would be the proper way to handle communication between stacks so
it will wait for the input decisions?

thanks,

Re: Working between two stacks

Eric Chatonet
Hi Glen,

Have a look at the dialogData property:
It allows exactly what you want: exchange data between 2 stacks (one
of which is a  modal stack) and pause the calling handler until the
modal stack is closed.
Very handy :-)

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 13 juin 05 à 17:07, Glen Bojsza a écrit :

> After some time of troubleshooting my application I realized that I
> had made an assumption how information flows between two stacks.
>
> In stack "build" I have a button that does several calculations and at
> one point opens another stack where the user is to determine what
> parameters they want to include.
>
> STACK "BUILD"
>
> on mouseUP
> -- do calcs
> modal stack "Input"
> --do more calcs based on user selection from modal stack "Input"
> end mouseUp
>

> My problem is obvious now ... the mouseUp in STACK "BUILD" continues
> not waiting for the user input from the STACK "Input"
>
> What would be the proper way to handle communication between stacks so
> it will wait for the input decisions?

So Smart Software

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website

Re: Working between two stacks

Ralph R. Forehand
You wrote;

>After some time of troubleshooting my application I realized that I
>had made an assumption how information flows between two stacks.
>
>In stack "build" I have a button that does several calculations and at
>one point opens another stack where the user is to determine what
>parameters they want to include.
>
>STACK "BUILD"
>
>on mouseUP
>-- do calcs
>modal stack "Input"
>--do more calcs based on user selection from modal stack "Input"
>end mouseUp
>
>My problem is obvious now ... the mouseUp in STACK "BUILD" continues
>not waiting for the user input from the STACK "Input"
>
>What would be the proper way to handle communication between stacks so
>it will wait for the input decisions?
>
>thanks,

Glen

Your problem sounds very much like my recent problem implementing a Dialog Box in one of my stacks,

Here are my exchanges on the subject from this forum;
Hi Ralph,

Rev built-in "Ask" and "Answer" modal dialog use this form. It seems  to work well :-)

To understand how it works:
Create a new mainstack with a substack named myDialogBox
BTW it is always a good idea to do like that: isolate the issue in a  little stack created on the fly to understand without spoiling your  main job.
Place a button on the main stack with the following script:

on mouseUp
  modal stack "myDialogBox"
  put the dialogData
end mouseUp

Put another button on the substack with this script:

on mouseUp
  set the dialogData to random(1000)
  close this stack
end mouseUp

Run it and you will find that a random number do not appear in the  message box until you close the dialog substack :-)

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 27 mai 05 à 15:31, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :

Eric,

Thanks for your quick response.

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. I tried it and also  setting the style of "myDialogBox" stack to Model just prior to the  modal stack "myDialogBox" statement.

The script did not recognize the stack as a container!?

I'm nearly at wits end on this problem.

Does anyone have documentation on setting up Dialog Boxes and/or a  working example  of a Dialog Box use similar to mine?

It's surprising Rev. doesn't provide more info on this important  GUI feature. I hope it's just a matter of my not looking in the  right place rather than omission?

Thanks or any assistance.
Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Your handler will stop running only if you use the modal form:
modal stack "myDialogBox" and no modeless stack "myDialogBox" :-)
Hope this helps.

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 26 mai 05 à 20:22, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :

I have a main stack set up with;

1. a Button that;
on mouseUp
includes a few globals
does a few calculations with the globals
modeless "myDialogBox"
does a few more calculations with the dialogData
end mouseUp

2. the "myDialogBox" is a stack consisting of 1 field and
seven buttons.
the "OK"button script executes properly and delivers
the proper results to the dataDialog string

My problem is that when the button executes "myDialogBox"
comes up but the mouseUp continues on through the button
handler - it does not stop to wait for the user input into
myDialogBox and resultant dialoData string before proceeding
to the rest of my button script.

However, on my next button click it again brings up
"myDialogBox" and uses the previous dialogData for the
rest of the handler.

I suspect I may have left something out of my button
handler and/or my dialog box OK button script??

I have scanned my documentation and can't pin down
anything I've don wrong. Any help will be very much
appreciated.

Ralph
============================
Yes !!!

Just use the contextual menu on the dialog box window to set its mode  to toplevel.
I am used to click with control/option/shift on Mac OS to make the  contextual menu appear.
The same on Windows with a right click (but less keys may be  enough :-) I have got into a routine...

As for the substacks, check them within the app browser (Tools menu).

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 31 mai 05 à 19:16, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :

Eric,

Hmmm... it works great and the simple example scripts were perfect.  Thank You very, very much. :-))

Now, is there a way to open the substack (my Dialog Box) script and  objects for editing??

Also my substack does not appear in the Stack Files listing??
Eric,

GREAT!!! Again you hit the nail on the head with exactly the info I was seeking. The contextual menu approach opens the whole Dialog Box handling technique for me. THANK YOU!! :-))

I spent a lot of hours on my Dialog Box problem before I came to this mail-list.  I just wish I'd found you sooner. :-(

I think the important area of dialog box use (from the newbes viewpoint) needs a good on-line tutorial. Since no one on this mail-list offered an existing tutorial, I may even write one as I gain more experience.

MANY THANKS AGAIN for your invaluable help and TAKE CARE,
Ralph

>Yes !!!
>
>Just use the contextual menu on the dialog box window to set its mode  to toplevel.
>I am used to click with control/option/shift on Mac OS to make the  contextual menu appear.
>The same on Windows with a right click (but less keys may be  enough :-) I have got into a routine...
>
>As for the substacks, check them within the app browser (Tools menu).
>
>Best regards from Paris,
>
>Eric Chatonet.
>
>Le 31 mai 05 à 19:16, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :
>
>>Eric,
>>
>>Hmmm... it works great and the simple example scripts were perfect.  Thank You very, very much. :-))
>>
>>Now, is there a way to open the substack (my Dialog Box) script and  objects for editing??
>>
>>Also my substack does not appear in the Stack Files listing??

=====================================
Hi Ralph,

Always happy to help :-)
If this experience could give you the idea to write a tutorial about  how to manage modal dialogs, it shoul be great and valuable for all!

Le 31 mai 05 à 21:30, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :

Eric,

GREAT!!! Again you hit the nail on the head with exactly the info I  was seeking. The contextual menu approach opens the whole Dialog  Box handling technique for me. THANK YOU!! :-))

I spent a lot of hours on my Dialog Box problem before I came to  this mail-list.  I just wish I'd found you sooner. :-(

I think the important area of dialog box use (from the newbes  viewpoint) needs a good on-line tutorial. Since no one on this mail- list offered an existing tutorial, I may even write one as I gain  more experience.

=================================
Eric,

Thanks for your encouragement. I have already set up a "Dialog Box Study" folder to gather my info, experiments, examples, and experiences for a potential tutorial. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks Again for all you help and TAKE CARE,
Ralph
--------------------------------

>Hi Ralph,
>
>Always happy to help :-)
>If this experience could give you the idea to write a tutorial about  how to manage modal dialogs, it shoul be great and valuable for all!
>
>Le 31 mai 05 à 21:30, Ralph R. Forehand a écrit :
>
>>Eric,
>>
>>GREAT!!! Again you hit the nail on the head with exactly the info I  was seeking. The contextual menu approach opens the whole Dialog  Box handling technique for me. THANK YOU!! :-))
>>
>>I spent a lot of hours on my Dialog Box problem before I came to  this mail-list.  I just wish I'd found you sooner. :-(
>>
>>I think the important area of dialog box use (from the newbes  viewpoint) needs a good on-line tutorial. Since no one on this mail- list offered an existing tutorial, I may even write one as I gain  more experience.
>

>Best regards from Paris,
>
>Eric Chatonet.

[OT] Does someone read Maclife in Germany ?

Thierry Arbellot
Hi all,

I just found that Maclife (a German magazine) has published a test of
my last app "TOKI Shot" in its release of June 2005.
The result doesn't seem very good (note is 2.5/6)

Has someone read this article ?
I would like to know what says this article, or to get a copy of it.

Thank you.
Thierry Arbellot

Re: [OT] Does someone read Maclife in Germany ?

Malte Brill
Hi Thierry,

I don´t read it anymore, but I have written for that Mag. as a
freelancer before. I could try to get a copy for you if you want or am
sure you could request a copy for your files if you request it. I can
mail you the contact email adresses off list.

Cheers,

Malte

Re: [OT] Does someone read Maclife in Germany ?

jbv-2
Looks like you can buy it online :
http://www.maclife.de/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=45

JB