Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it. Afterwords I
have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep in mind, at which
handler I was coming from and click at it in the list of handlers. Wouldn't
it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward" button, (like in a browser) to
get back to the last visited line (not like in a browser) or again forward,
where I 've already been?

Am I the only one, working like this, or is it my overflowed brain
requesting such a feature?

Tiemo

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Tiemo,

This feature would be really really useful. Please feel free to file an
enhancement request.

Panos
--

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
> handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it. Afterwords I
> have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep in mind, at which
> handler I was coming from and click at it in the list of handlers. Wouldn't
> it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward" button, (like in a browser) to
> get back to the last visited line (not like in a browser) or again forward,
> where I 've already been?
>
> Am I the only one, working like this, or is it my overflowed brain
> requesting such a feature?
>
> Tiemo

AW: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Done: 19683
You can vote for it :)

[hidden email]> wrote:

> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
> handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it.
> Afterwords I have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep
> in mind, at which handler I was coming from and click at it in the
> list of handlers. Wouldn't it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward"
> button, (like in a browser) to get back to the last visited line (not
> like in a browser) or again forward, where I 've already been?
>
> Am I the only one, working like this, or is it my overflowed brain
> requesting such a feature?
>
> Tiemo

RE: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
This would be a great enhancement. Coming from VB land I really miss the VB
IDE right click "Last position" menu option in LC.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Tiemo,
+1
Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:

 > When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
 > handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it.
 > Afterwords I have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep
 > in mind, at which handler I was coming from and click at it in the
 > list of handlers. Wouldn't it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward"
 > button, (like in a browser) to get back to the last visited line (not
 > like in a browser) or again forward, where I 've already been?

Isn't that the use-case that in other editors is supported with split views?

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
GLX2 had a neat concept called breadcrumbs. Maybe someone could dig into the code and see what made breadcrumbs work, then incorporate it into the main script editor.

Bob S

> On May 11, 2017, at 05:32 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
> handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it. Afterwords I
> have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep in mind, at which
> handler I was coming from and click at it in the list of handlers. Wouldn't
> it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward" button, (like in a browser) to
> get back to the last visited line (not like in a browser) or again forward,
> where I 've already been?
>
> Am I the only one, working like this, or is it my overflowed brain
> requesting such a feature?
>
> Tiemo

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I've wanted this for years. There is half a way to do it, but it's very
limited. Right click on a handler name in calling handler and choose "go to
definition". It will scroll to the handler in the script or open a new
script tab if necessary. The orginal start position in the handler list
remains hilited so you can find it again easily.

But it's far from perfect. If you click anywhere in the new handler, the
list selection changes. And it only works for one hop. But even that much
is useful for a quick check on what a particular handler does.

On May 11, 2017 7:35:41 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
> handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it. Afterwords I
> have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep in mind, at which
> handler I was coming from and click at it in the list of handlers. Wouldn't
> it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward" button, (like in a browser) to
> get back to the last visited line (not like in a browser) or again forward,
> where I 've already been?
>
> Am I the only one, working like this, or is it my overflowed brain
> requesting such a feature?
>
> Tiemo

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Jacque, are you confusing the dictionary with the script editor?

On 05/11/2017 07:51 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> GLX2 had a neat concept called breadcrumbs. Maybe someone could dig into the code and see what made breadcrumbs work, then incorporate it into the main script editor.
>
> Bob S

Feel free to do so.
https://bitbucket.org/mwieder/glx2

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

pink
Have you looked into lcTaskList?

I often use it to give myself quick bookmarks/placeholders, so long as you already know where you are going to want to be.

It is reasonably priced and tops my listed of recommended plugins.
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
No. Try it. I use it all the time.

On May 11, 2017 11:23:32 AM Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jacque, are you confusing the dictionary with the script editor?
>

> On May 11, 2017 7:17 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've wanted this for years. There is half a way to do it, but it's very
>> limited. Right click on a handler name in calling handler and choose "go to
>> definition". It will scroll to the handler in the script or open a new
>> script tab if necessary. The orginal start position in the handler list
>> remains hilited so you can find it again easily.
>>
>> But it's far from perfect. If you click anywhere in the new handler, the
>> list selection changes. And it only works for one hop. But even that much
>> is useful for a quick check on what a particular handler does.
>>

>> On May 11, 2017 7:35:41 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
>>> handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it. Afterwords I
>>> have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep in mind, at which
>>> handler I was coming from and click at it in the list of handlers.
>>> Wouldn't
>>> it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward" button, (like in a browser) to
>>> get back to the last visited line (not like in a browser) or again
>>> forward,
>>> where I 've already been?
>>>
>>> Am I the only one, working like this, or is it my overflowed brain
>>> requesting such a feature?
>>>
>>> Tiemo

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I will, Thanks.

Richmond.

On 11.05.2017 20:11, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> No. Try it. I use it all the time.
>

> On May 11, 2017 11:23:32 AM Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jacque, are you confusing the dictionary with the script editor?
>>

>> On May 11, 2017 7:17 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've wanted this for years. There is half a way to do it, but it's very
>>> limited. Right click on a handler name in calling handler and choose
>>> "go to
>>> definition". It will scroll to the handler in the script or open a new
>>> script tab if necessary. The orginal start position in the handler list
>>> remains hilited so you can find it again easily.
>>>
>>> But it's far from perfect. If you click anywhere in the new handler,
>>> the
>>> list selection changes. And it only works for one hop. But even that
>>> much
>>> is useful for a quick check on what a particular handler does.
>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>>>

>>> On May 11, 2017 7:35:41 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I’m a little late to this party, but I’ve thought it would be handy to have a “sort by most recent” button on the handler list… like in apple mail and desktop folders.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst wrote:

 > I’m a little late to this party, but I’ve thought it would be handy
 > to have a “sort by most recent” button on the handler list… like in
 > apple mail and desktop folders.

With all due respect to those who've worked on the SE, the last thing
I'd want to see added to is more metadata and the complexity inherent in
keeping it up to date.

This may be another reason this need is most commonly handled in other
editors with a split view.

On 5/11/17 9:45 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Tiemo Hollmann wrote:
>
>> When working on longer scripts with a lot of handlers, I often work on
>> handler 1 and have to jump to handler 2 to have a look at it.
>> Afterwords I have to go back to my handler 1. Nowadays I have to keep
>> in mind, at which handler I was coming from and click at it in the
>> list of handlers. Wouldn't it be nice, to have a "back" and "forward"
>> button, (like in a browser) to get back to the last visited line (not
>> like in a browser) or again forward, where I 've already been?
>
> Isn't that the use-case that in other editors is supported with split
> views?

That would be really good for editing, but back/forward is better for
tracing script flow which is mostly what I want it for.

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 5/11/17 9:45 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> Isn't that the use-case that in other editors is supported with split
>> views?
>
> That would be really good for editing, but back/forward is better for
> tracing script flow which is mostly what I want it for.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking of: what could be better than jumping back
and forth than not having to jump at all?

On 5/11/17 2:09 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 5/11/17 9:45 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't that the use-case that in other editors is supported with split
>>> views?
>>
>> That would be really good for editing, but back/forward is better for
>> tracing script flow which is mostly what I want it for.
>
> Yes, that's what I'm thinking of: what could be better than jumping back
> and forth than not having to jump at all?

Well, I don't usually jump only once. If I do, I just use the built-in
trick I described. But what I usually need to do is follow script flow
from one handler to the one that called it, to the one that called that,
the back to the second one until I see another reference, then jump to
that one, see what it does, then back to the first one, then on to
another one.

How many split windows would that take?

Re: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "back/forward" button in script editor?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Maybe show something like the executionContexts as a list in a palette,
and be able to go back and forth to the referenced lines by clicking the
lines?

Phil Davis

J. Landman Gay wrote:
 > Well, I don't usually jump only once. If I do, I just use the
 > built-in trick I described. But what I usually need to do is follow
 > script flow from one handler to the one that called it, to the one
 > that called that, the back to the second one until I see another
 > reference, then jump to that one, see what it does, then back to the
 > first one, then on to another one.

Yes, quite different from the original problem statement, and more
reflective of my own needs as well.

Right now I make liberal use of the "Lookup Definition" item in the
context menu, but that only goes one way.

I once considered making a static analysis tool that would provide a
list of handlers with specific line numbers for a flow of execution.

Not surprisingly, I also decided the time it would take to do that would
exceed the time it would save me. :)