XMLRPC & Authentication

david bovill
Looking into sending xmlrpc calls that require basic http
authentication... any ideas as it is not documented in the xmlrpc
create request, but is AFAIK part of the libUrl stack... just can't
find any docs at the moment...

Re: XMLRPC & Authentication

Andre Garzia

On Jul 18, 2005, at 3:47 PM, david bovill wrote:

> Looking into sending xmlrpc calls that require basic http
> authentication... any ideas as it is not documented in the xmlrpc
> create request, but is AFAIK part of the libUrl stack... just can't
> find any docs at the moment...

David,

many ways to do that David, one is to script the basic auth header
yourself using the set httpheader property. it's fairly easy, just
get your username and password and to like this:

     put the cusername of this stack & ":" & the cpassword of this
stack into tToken
     put format("Authorization: Basic %s", base64encode(tToken)) into
tAuthToken
     set the httpheaders to tAuthToken

then call your method.

other more professional ways, refer to libURL Real Docs at http://
support.runrev.com/resources/liburlrealdocs.html

cheers
andre

Re: XMLRPC & Authentication

Jan Schenkel
--- david bovill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looking into sending xmlrpc calls that require basic
> http
> authentication... any ideas as it is not documented
> in the xmlrpc
> create request, but is AFAIK part of the libUrl
> stack... just can't
> find any docs at the moment...

Hi David,

While you can follow Andre's suggestion to do it
directly, it is an excellent enhancement request, and
I suggest you feed it to bugzilla so it can be picked
up ine of the next releases of Revolution.

The way the current library works, you cannot set your
own httpHeaders and then call revXMLRPC_Execute, as
this replaces the httpHeaders with a set of its own
before calling the web service.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

Re: XMLRPC & Authentication

Dave Cragg

On 19 Jul 2005, at 10:56, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> --- david bovill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Looking into sending xmlrpc calls that require basic
>> http
>> authentication... any ideas as it is not documented
>> in the xmlrpc
>> create request, but is AFAIK part of the libUrl
>> stack... just can't
>> find any docs at the moment...
>>

> Hi David,
>
> While you can follow Andre's suggestion to do it
> directly, it is an excellent enhancement request, and
> I suggest you feed it to bugzilla so it can be picked
> up ine of the next releases of Revolution.
>
> The way the current library works, you cannot set your
> own httpHeaders and then call revXMLRPC_Execute, as
> this replaces the httpHeaders with a set of its own
> before calling the web service.
>
> Hope this helped,
>
> Jan Schenkel.

I'm not too sure how the revXMLRPC handlers make http requests, but
assuming they make use of liburl, you should be able to make use of
libUrlSetAuthCallback. There is an example in the online docs (url
below) of how to set this up for basic authentication:

    http://support.runrev.com/resources/
liburlrealdocs.html#libUrlSetAuthCallback

It's not the easiest thing to set up, but once done, you can
basically forget about it.

Cheers
Dave