You should avoid using "Open in New Navigator" in Navigator

You should avoid using "Open in New Navigator" in Navigator

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I've updated GitHub and the download to remove it for now. Under some
circumstances (that I can't replicate just yet) "Open in New Navigator" can
fail in a way that seems to mess with the dialogs in the IDE. If you happen
to trigger this, you'll likely see a dialog that contains the word
"something" and no buttons; I saw this during development, but thought it
was banished (I didn't know it was possible to mess up dialogs, and I still
don't know how it's  even possible to open a dialog with no buttons, and
it's not even my code that's opening the dialog -- I think).

If it happens to you, apologies, and pressing the enter key should (did,
for me) dismiss it. Restarting LC is the best recourse.

In any case, don't use that function if you do see it, and this copy of
Navigator has it disabled for now:

Get Navigator here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or get it
from GitHub: Navigator's GitHub page <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>

Re: You should avoid using "Open in New Navigator" in Navigator

On Feb 27, 2018, at 9:14 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've updated GitHub and the download to remove it for now. Under some
> circumstances (that I can't replicate just yet) "Open in New Navigator" can
> fail in a way that seems to mess with the dialogs in the IDE. If you happen
> to trigger this, you'll likely see a dialog that contains the word
> "something" and no buttons; I saw this during development, but thought it
> was banished (I didn't know it was possible to mess up dialogs, and I still
> don't know how it's  even possible to open a dialog with no buttons, and
> it's not even my code that's opening the dialog -- I think).
>
> If it happens to you, apologies, and pressing the enter key should (did,
> for me) dismiss it. Restarting LC is the best recourse.
>
> In any case, don't use that function if you do see it, and this copy of
> Navigator has it disabled for now:
>
> Get Navigator here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or get it
> from GitHub: Navigator's GitHub page <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>

All great code/projects have bugs. I am sure you will figure this out Geoff. The feature will be very useful when it returns. This bug mainly affects LC 9 dp11. In the LC 8 series it simply does not work, but does not have any negative effect that I can see.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>
canelasoftware.com <http://www.canelasoftware.com/>

Re: You should avoid using "Open in New Navigator" in Navigator

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I downloaded LC 9. I wasn't able to replicate the spurious/borked dialogs,
but I was able to get the command to fail. I fixed a few things, and
tweaked a few things. I am unable to make this update fail. Please have a
look at this and see if it still fails in your environment. You can get it
at either of these locations.

Thx

gc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyjelfzsfl0p4nt/new_navigator_test.zip?dl=0