a weird thing about registration, Linux

Peter Alcibiades
Has anyone else had this?

I installed and registered my 4.5 copy.  Works fine.  Now, I want to update
the Slug's package.  It won't let me, most likely because its installed the
app in /opt and as user I have no write privileges there.

OK, no problem, become root with the root environment, fire up LC.  Asks me
to register!

Think, OK, maybe this is due to having the root environment, so just do su.
Same thing.

OK, maybe this is something to do with root or root privileges, so log out,
log on as another account.  Same thing.

This is weird.  The only point of installing in /opt as opposed to
/home/user would be to let all accounts have access to the app in a multi
account environment, but it seems in some way to be restricting use of the
app to just one account?  Cannot be, surely?

I can always do it manually, download the package, delete the existing plug
in, so that's not a problem.  The problem is if registration is restricting
to just one account on a machine.  To be clear, no-one else uses Rev on my
machine, but for various reasons I do use multiple accounts on the same
machine myself and can't see why I should have to register not only by
machine, but by account.  Anyone else getting this?

Peter

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
My guess would be that it puts a dot file in your user account on
first run that manages prefs and registration info.  Since you don't
run it as root, no .file, same for all other users.  Still leaves it
as being a pain in the tookus to set it up as multiple users, but i'm
curious... It's been a while, but isn't there a skeleton directory
that holds default files to add when an account is created?  Did
livecode add one there? If not, and you copy your file there it should
solve the problem for new accounts, but unfortunately doesn't keep you
from having to beat already created accounts into submission manually
for now.

On 11/1/10, Peter Alcibiades <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone else had this?
>
> I installed and registered my 4.5 copy.  Works fine.  Now, I want to update
> the Slug's package.  It won't let me, most likely because its installed the
> app in /opt and as user I have no write privileges there.
>
> OK, no problem, become root with the root environment, fire up LC.  Asks me
> to register!
>
> Think, OK, maybe this is due to having the root environment, so just do su.
> Same thing.
>
> OK, maybe this is something to do with root or root privileges, so log out,
> log on as another account.  Same thing.
>
> This is weird.  The only point of installing in /opt as opposed to
> /home/user would be to let all accounts have access to the app in a multi
> account environment, but it seems in some way to be restricting use of the
> app to just one account?  Cannot be, surely?
>
> I can always do it manually, download the package, delete the existing plug
> in, so that's not a problem.  The problem is if registration is restricting
> to just one account on a machine.  To be clear, no-one else uses Rev on my
> machine, but for various reasons I do use multiple accounts on the same
> machine myself and can't see why I should have to register not only by
> machine, but by account.  Anyone else getting this?
>
> Peter

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
Oh, another thought.  If it WILL keep seperate preferences/settings
for each user, you can change where it points for your plugins, and
move it to a folder you Do have write permissions to, but then that
means every plugin change you would hve to update the plugin on all
installations.  Since it sounds like its only you, could point it to a
dir that users have a right to, or setup a specific group for livecode
user accounts and set group permissions on that.  That way I believe
all accounts could update plugins.  Hmm. In fact, you could setup 1
account with write privelages to a director, and setup a group or
world with read permissions so that you have only 1 account that can
trash your plugins folder, but all other accounts can read them.

On 11/1/10, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My guess would be that it puts a dot file in your user account on
> first run that manages prefs and registration info.  Since you don't
> run it as root, no .file, same for all other users.  Still leaves it
> as being a pain in the tookus to set it up as multiple users, but i'm
> curious... It's been a while, but isn't there a skeleton directory
> that holds default files to add when an account is created?  Did
> livecode add one there? If not, and you copy your file there it should
> solve the problem for new accounts, but unfortunately doesn't keep you
> from having to beat already created accounts into submission manually
> for now.
>
> On 11/1/10, Peter Alcibiades <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone else had this?
>>
>> I installed and registered my 4.5 copy.  Works fine.  Now, I want to
>> update
>> the Slug's package.  It won't let me, most likely because its installed
>> the
>> app in /opt and as user I have no write privileges there.
>>
>> OK, no problem, become root with the root environment, fire up LC.  Asks
>> me
>> to register!
>>
>> Think, OK, maybe this is due to having the root environment, so just do
>> su.
>> Same thing.
>>
>> OK, maybe this is something to do with root or root privileges, so log
>> out,
>> log on as another account.  Same thing.
>>
>> This is weird.  The only point of installing in /opt as opposed to
>> /home/user would be to let all accounts have access to the app in a multi
>> account environment, but it seems in some way to be restricting use of
>> the
>> app to just one account?  Cannot be, surely?
>>
>> I can always do it manually, download the package, delete the existing
>> plug
>> in, so that's not a problem.  The problem is if registration is
>> restricting
>> to just one account on a machine.  To be clear, no-one else uses Rev on
>> my
>> machine, but for various reasons I do use multiple accounts on the same
>> machine myself and can't see why I should have to register not only by
>> machine, but by account.  Anyone else getting this?
>>
>> Peter

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Peter Alcibiades
Yes, there is a .revolution folder.  And it does indeed have a cryptic preferences text file in it.  But what I'm having trouble understanding is that if I just acquire root permissions, by doing

      su

rather than doing

     su -

Then I retain the same home directory.  So if I then fire up rev, why does it not find the preference files?  Is it somehow distinguishing between me logged on with and without root privileges?  And why on earth would they want to do that?

I can just about understand that if I do su -, which places me in the root home directory, it might have some trouble.  But I can't understand why if, as myself, I simply acquire root privileges, it should not find all its files?

Peter

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

zryip theSlug
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Peter Alcibiades
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone else had this?
>
> I installed and registered my 4.5 copy.  Works fine.  Now, I want to update
> the Slug's package.  It won't let me, most likely because its installed the
> app in /opt and as user I have no write privileges there.
>
> OK, no problem, become root with the root environment, fire up LC.  Asks me
> to register!
>
> Think, OK, maybe this is due to having the root environment, so just do su.
> Same thing.
>
> OK, maybe this is something to do with root or root privileges, so log out,
> log on as another account.  Same thing.
>
> This is weird.  The only point of installing in /opt as opposed to
> /home/user would be to let all accounts have access to the app in a multi
> account environment, but it seems in some way to be restricting use of the
> app to just one account?  Cannot be, surely?
>
> I can always do it manually, download the package, delete the existing plug
> in, so that's not a problem.  The problem is if registration is restricting
> to just one account on a machine.  To be clear, no-one else uses Rev on my
> machine, but for various reasons I do use multiple accounts on the same
> machine myself and can't see why I should have to register not only by
> machine, but by account.  Anyone else getting this?
>
> Peter

Peter,

I suppose that the solution I replied in the other thread will not
working for multi-accounts.
For a single user all seems working as expected. I have no problem
with the LC license. I'm assuming the license is probably stored
somewhere and linked to the account the application is opened.

-Zryip TheSlug- wish you the best! 8)
http://www.aslugontheroad.co.cc

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
Well now i'm curious.  If you su, then cd ~
then pwd, it doesn't switch you to the root home account?

I just setup dsl in a virtual machine and tried it, the home directory
changes to match root when su'd. not su -.  If nothing else, check
your system variables, for me, after su, my HOME variable is changed
to /root (thats where it is on DSL)

I wonder, if you set things up so you can sudo livecode can you then
update? I did a check on osx, if I do this.
sudo cd ~;pwd
it retains my home folder.  I don't have sudo configured on my virtual
machine so can't test there, but if it behaves the same then sudo
livecode should run it with elevated permissions allowing the update
to go forward.  I think.

On 11/1/10, zryip theSlug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Peter Alcibiades
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone else had this?
>>
>> I installed and registered my 4.5 copy.  Works fine.  Now, I want to
>> update
>> the Slug's package.  It won't let me, most likely because its installed
>> the
>> app in /opt and as user I have no write privileges there.
>>
>> OK, no problem, become root with the root environment, fire up LC.  Asks
>> me
>> to register!
>>
>> Think, OK, maybe this is due to having the root environment, so just do
>> su.
>> Same thing.
>>
>> OK, maybe this is something to do with root or root privileges, so log
>> out,
>> log on as another account.  Same thing.
>>
>> This is weird.  The only point of installing in /opt as opposed to
>> /home/user would be to let all accounts have access to the app in a multi
>> account environment, but it seems in some way to be restricting use of the
>> app to just one account?  Cannot be, surely?
>>
>> I can always do it manually, download the package, delete the existing
>> plug
>> in, so that's not a problem.  The problem is if registration is
>> restricting
>> to just one account on a machine.  To be clear, no-one else uses Rev on my
>> machine, but for various reasons I do use multiple accounts on the same
>> machine myself and can't see why I should have to register not only by
>> machine, but by account.  Anyone else getting this?
>>
>> Peter
>
> Peter,
>
> I suppose that the solution I replied in the other thread will not
> working for multi-accounts.
> For a single user all seems working as expected. I have no problem
> with the LC license. I'm assuming the license is probably stored
> somewhere and linked to the account the application is opened.
>

> Regards,
> --
> -Zryip TheSlug- wish you the best! 8)
> http://www.aslugontheroad.co.cc

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Peter Alcibiades
peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ ls
Documentation          livecode.x86       Resources         Runtime
Externals              Plugins            revpdfprinter.so  Toolset
License Agreement.txt  Release Notes.pdf  revsecurity.so
peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ ./livecode.x86
peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ pwd
/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5
peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ su
Password:
xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5# pwd
/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5
xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5# ./livecode.x86
xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5#

So, if you do su the working directory remains the same.  If you are in the working directory without su, Rev starts.  If you are in the same working directory after having done su, it asks you to register.

Don't get it.  The difference of course is that when it works, its identifying the user:

     peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ ./livecode.x86

as opposed to in the other case, where the prompt is just

     xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5# ./livecode.x86

So the difference is, it is looking for the registration in a particular user home folder?  But in that case, why install in /opt?  And why restrict the use to one account on a multi account system?  Makes no sense, no-one else does it, do they?

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
Working directory, and home directory are different things.  It's
looking for the .Revolution file on the home directory, working
directory makes no difference, and as soon as you su, the home
directory is changed to roots home.

And yeah, not really an effective solution. For all user install, the
reg info should be kept seperate and used for all users, with only
individual user preferences stored in ~/.revolution. To make it
seemless rev needs to set up a default prefs file that is
automagically placed in the home directory, with registration intact,
or as I mentioned, seperate the registration out and have the home dir
only store preferences, not reg info.

On 11/1/10, Peter Alcibiades <[hidden email]> wrote:

> peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ ls
> Documentation          livecode.x86       Resources         Runtime
> Externals              Plugins            revpdfprinter.so  Toolset
> License Agreement.txt  Release Notes.pdf  revsecurity.so
> peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ ./livecode.x86
> peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ pwd
> /opt/runrev/livecode-4.5
> peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ su
> Password:
> xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5# pwd
> /opt/runrev/livecode-4.5
> xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5# ./livecode.x86
> xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5#
>

> So, if you do su the working directory remains the same.  If you are in the
> working directory without su, Rev starts.  If you are in the same working
> directory after having done su, it asks you to register.
>
> Don't get it.  The difference of course is that when it works, its
> identifying the user:
>
>      peter@xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5$ ./livecode.x86
>
> as opposed to in the other case, where the prompt is just
>
>      xxxx:/opt/runrev/livecode-4.5# ./livecode.x86
>
> So the difference is, it is looking for the registration in a particular
> user home folder?  But in that case, why install in /opt?  And why restrict
> the use to one account on a multi account system?  Makes no sense, no-one
> else does it, do they?

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
Try su -m
That leaves env vars the same, and should allow you to do your upgrade
since home is still home.

Peter Alcibiades
Nope, same thing.  Also su -m -p, or su -p, also same thing.  Weird.

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
not sure why then.  /shrug If you copy the prefs to root does it still think
it needs to be registered when su'd?  Either way, think its time for a
bigger hammer.

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Peter Alcibiades <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nope, same thing.  Also su -m -p, or su -p, also same thing.  Weird.

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

J. Landman Gay
On 11/1/10 5:34 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:
> not sure why then.  /shrug If you copy the prefs to root does it still think
> it needs to be registered when su'd?  Either way, think its time for a
> bigger hammer.

Prefs don't store the licensing info, it's stored separately. I'm not
sure where it's stored on Linux systems, but you (or rather Peter) can
download the file from your user account and manually point to it during
installation. Or easier, just be online during installation and the
installer will look up your license. You should only have to do this
once per installation.

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Mike Bonner
Peter did it once, but.. well easier to read the whole thread.  He's coming
at things from a different angle than the initial install.

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 11/1/10 5:34 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:
>
>> not sure why then.  /shrug If you copy the prefs to root does it still
>> think
>> it needs to be registered when su'd?  Either way, think its time for a
>> bigger hammer.
>>

> Prefs don't store the licensing info, it's stored separately. I'm not sure
> where it's stored on Linux systems, but you (or rather Peter) can download
> the file from your user account and manually point to it during
> installation. Or easier, just be online during installation and the
> installer will look up your license. You should only have to do this once
> per installation.

Re: a weird thing about registration, Linux

Peter Alcibiades
A solution is to change owner.  After chown to my user, it runs and updates the DGH fine.  Should not have to do this, however, and it does not solve the problem that every account should be able to use it.  I will write to support.