abort a handler

Serge Brami
  How to abort a handler  on Mac OS X

Command  .                   doesnt work
Command :                     doenst work
Command space           doesnt work

so ?

what is the period key wich is mentionned in the userguide on a mac
azerty keyboard ?

Re: abort a handler

xtalkprogrammer
Are you sure that the cantAbort of the stack containing your handler
is set to false?

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 28-mei-2006, om 14:23 heeft BRAMI het volgende geschreven:

>  How to abort a handler  on Mac OS X
>
> Command  .                   doesnt work
> Command :                     doenst work
> Command space           doesnt work
>
> so ?
>
> what is the period key wich is mentionned in the userguide on a mac
> azerty keyboard ?

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: abort a handler

J. Landman Gay
BRAMI wrote:

>  How to abort a handler  on Mac OS X
>
> Command  .                   doesnt work
> Command :                     doenst work
> Command space           doesnt work
>
> so ?
>
> what is the period key wich is mentionned in the userguide on a mac
> azerty keyboard ?

It doesn't always work, especially if you are inside a repeat loop. A
client was asking me about this recently, and just last night I found
myself in the same situation. Force-quit was the only way out, and if
you have not saved your work then you will lose it.

For those curious, try this in a button:

on mouseup
  repeat
    put the ticks
  end repeat
end mouseup

Now try to get out of it. Remember to save your work first.

It is essential, I have found, to build in an escape clause like this:

on mouseup
  repeat
   if the shiftkey is down then exit repeat
   put the ticks
  end repeat
end mouseup

Re: abort a handler

Stephen Barncard
Yes, I've noticed that - command period NEVER WORKS in Rev. EVER.

One has to put in code:

if the mouse is "down" then exit to top

or put in a iteration limit like this

on yerHandler
  repeat forever
   add 1 to m
   if m > 500 then exit to top
   -- yer code here...

  end repeat
end yerHandler

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Re: abort a handler

Stephen Barncard
And my question is -- is the cantAbort state DEFAULT?

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Re: abort a handler

Serge Brami

Le 28 mai 06 à 19:35, Stephen Barncard a écrit :

> And my question is -- is the cantAbort state DEFAULT?
>
>> Are you sure that the cantAbort of the stack containing your
>> handler is set to false?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> --
> stephen barncard
> s a n  f r a n c i s c o
> - - -  - - - - - - - - -

thanks for your help
I ll try to put a secure code in repeat loop
best

Re: abort a handler

Ian Wood-3

On 28 May 2006, at 18:10, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> It is essential, I have found, to build in an escape clause like this:
>
> on mouseup
>  repeat
>   if the shiftkey is down then exit repeat
>   put the ticks
>  end repeat
> end mouseup
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay

Or add in a line with something like:

wait 1 millisecond with messages

Then there should be an opportunity for the handler to be aborted.

Ian

Edit - just tried it and it doesn't work, but at least Rev isn't
totally frozen, allowing you to suppress messages, or to pick up on
keypresses.