Quantcast

align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Hi.

The part I've got working...

Two clickable scrolling fields (fld1, fld2), same height and width. Click a
fld1 line and fld2 SCROLLs and HILITEDLINEs to visually reveal a matching
line. (fld1 is French text, fld2 is an English gloss.)

The part I would welcome your help with...

If, say, the hilited line on fld1 is kinda halfway down, how do I get the
hilited line on fld2 to also be kinda halfway down?

Here's my scrolling-magic script:

  set the scroll of fld2 to (tMatchingLineNr - 1) * \
    the textHeight of fld2 - the textHeight of fld2
  set the hilitedline of fld2 to tMatchingLineNr

Of course, this ends up with the hilited line of fld2 being at the top.
How do I get it to scroll just that little bit more so that it aligns with
the hilited line as seen in fld1?

Thank you.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
I have a stack that does a similar thing, but with numbers and I just use the following script in the main field;

on scrollBarDrag pScroll
   set the vScroll of fld  “lineNumbers" to pScroll

end scrollBarDrag

Provided both fields have the same number of lines and the text properties are identical they should stay aligned correctly.

Or a simpler version would be;
set the vScroll of fld 2 to the vScroll of fld 1

Paul

> On Mar 5, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> The part I've got working...
>
> Two clickable scrolling fields (fld1, fld2), same height and width. Click a
> fld1 line and fld2 SCROLLs and HILITEDLINEs to visually reveal a matching
> line. (fld1 is French text, fld2 is an English gloss.)
>
> The part I would welcome your help with...
>
> If, say, the hilited line on fld1 is kinda halfway down, how do I get the
> hilited line on fld2 to also be kinda halfway down?
>
> Here's my scrolling-magic script:
>
>  set the scroll of fld2 to (tMatchingLineNr - 1) * \
>    the textHeight of fld2 - the textHeight of fld2
>  set the hilitedline of fld2 to tMatchingLineNr
>
> Of course, this ends up with the hilited line of fld2 being at the top.
> How do I get it to scroll just that little bit more so that it aligns with
> the hilited line as seen in fld1?
>

> Thank you.
>
> --
> Nicolas Cueto

Re: align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
> Provided both fields have the same number of lines...

​I should've added that the fields do not contain the same number of
lines.  They are identical, though, in size and text properties.

Thanks, Paul.

--
Nicolas Cueto

On 6 March 2017 at 11:26, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a stack that does a similar thing, but with numbers and I just use
> the following script in the main field;
>
> on scrollBarDrag pScroll
>    set the vScroll of fld  “lineNumbers" to pScroll
>
> end scrollBarDrag
>
> Provided both fields have the same number of lines and the text properties
> are identical they should stay aligned correctly.
>
> Or a simpler version would be;
> set the vScroll of fld 2 to the vScroll of fld 1
>
> Paul
>

> > On Mar 5, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > The part I've got working...
> >
> > Two clickable scrolling fields (fld1, fld2), same height and width.
> Click a
> > fld1 line and fld2 SCROLLs and HILITEDLINEs to visually reveal a matching
> > line. (fld1 is French text, fld2 is an English gloss.)
> >
> > The part I would welcome your help with...
> >
> > If, say, the hilited line on fld1 is kinda halfway down, how do I get the
> > hilited line on fld2 to also be kinda halfway down?
> >
> > Here's my scrolling-magic script:
> >
> >  set the scroll of fld2 to (tMatchingLineNr - 1) * \
> >    the textHeight of fld2 - the textHeight of fld2
> >  set the hilitedline of fld2 to tMatchingLineNr
> >
> > Of course, this ends up with the hilited line of fld2 being at the top.
> > How do I get it to scroll just that little bit more so that it aligns
> with
> > the hilited line as seen in fld1?
> >

> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Nicolas Cueto

Re: align field scrolls

dunbarx
This post was updated on .
So if your two fields have different number of lines, you must scale the "slave" field to the "master". You cannot just align their scroll values.

If the master has, say 100 lines, and the slave 75, you simply set the ratio of the scroll of the master to its total line count to the ratio of the slave's similar properties. You may need the "trunc" function to avoid unnecessary pain and suffering.

Craig

Re: align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Hi Nicolas,

Does the number of lines increase or decrease between executions?

Have you tried to add or subtract a constant to adjust for the difference?

Rick

> On Mar 5, 2017, at 9:45 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Provided both fields have the same number of lines...
>

> ​I should've added that the fields do not contain the same number of
> lines.  They are identical, though, in size and text properties.
>
> Thanks, Paul.
>
> --
> Nicolas Cueto
>

> On 6 March 2017 at 11:26, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a stack that does a similar thing, but with numbers and I just use
>> the following script in the main field;
>>
>> on scrollBarDrag pScroll
>>   set the vScroll of fld  “lineNumbers" to pScroll
>>
>> end scrollBarDrag
>>
>> Provided both fields have the same number of lines and the text properties
>> are identical they should stay aligned correctly.
>>
>> Or a simpler version would be;
>> set the vScroll of fld 2 to the vScroll of fld 1
>>
>> Paul
>>

>>> On Mar 5, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> The part I've got working...
>>>
>>> Two clickable scrolling fields (fld1, fld2), same height and width.
>> Click a
>>> fld1 line and fld2 SCROLLs and HILITEDLINEs to visually reveal a matching
>>> line. (fld1 is French text, fld2 is an English gloss.)
>>>
>>> The part I would welcome your help with...
>>>
>>> If, say, the hilited line on fld1 is kinda halfway down, how do I get the
>>> hilited line on fld2 to also be kinda halfway down?
>>>
>>> Here's my scrolling-magic script:
>>>
>>> set the scroll of fld2 to (tMatchingLineNr - 1) * \
>>>   the textHeight of fld2 - the textHeight of fld2
>>> set the hilitedline of fld2 to tMatchingLineNr
>>>
>>> Of course, this ends up with the hilited line of fld2 being at the top.
>>> How do I get it to scroll just that little bit more so that it aligns
>> with
>>> the hilited line as seen in fld1?
>>>

>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Cueto

Re: align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
You need 3 controls: 2 fields with the vertical scrollbars turned off
and a vertical scroller

Set the min of the vertical scrollbar to 0 and the max to the "max(the
formattedHeight of field X,formattedHeight of field Y)

In the scrollbar, add the script:

on scrollbarDrag newPosition
  set the vScroll of field X to newPosition
  set the vScroll of field Y to newPosition
end scrollbarDrag

On 3/6/2017 9:39 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Does the number of lines increase or decrease between executions?
>
> Have you tried to add or subtract a constant to adjust for the difference?
>
> Rick
>
>> On Mar 5, 2017, at 9:45 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Provided both fields have the same number of lines...
>>
>> ​I should've added that the fields do not contain the same number of
>> lines.  They are identical, though, in size and text properties.
>>
>> Thanks, Paul.
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Cueto
>>

>> On 6 March 2017 at 11:26, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a stack that does a similar thing, but with numbers and I just use
>>> the following script in the main field;
>>>
>>> on scrollBarDrag pScroll
>>>   set the vScroll of fld  “lineNumbers" to pScroll
>>>
>>> end scrollBarDrag
>>>
>>> Provided both fields have the same number of lines and the text properties
>>> are identical they should stay aligned correctly.
>>>
>>> Or a simpler version would be;
>>> set the vScroll of fld 2 to the vScroll of fld 1
>>>
>>> Paul

>>> Click a

>>> with

Re: align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
An alternate solution..
If you
put item 2 of the selectedloc of the first field - item 2 of the
selectedloc of the second field into tScroll

-- you can then
set the vscroll of field "your second field" to the vscroll of field "your
second field" - tScroll

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need 3 controls: 2 fields with the vertical scrollbars turned off
> and a vertical scroller
>
> Set the min of the vertical scrollbar to 0 and the max to the "max(the
> formattedHeight of field X,formattedHeight of field Y)
>
> In the scrollbar, add the script:
>
> on scrollbarDrag newPosition
>   set the vScroll of field X to newPosition
>   set the vScroll of field Y to newPosition
> end scrollbarDrag
>

> On 3/6/2017 9:39 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> > Hi Nicolas,
> >
> > Does the number of lines increase or decrease between executions?
> >
> > Have you tried to add or subtract a constant to adjust for the
> difference?
> >
> > Rick

> >> ​I should've added that the fields do not contain the same number of
> >> lines.  They are identical, though, in size and text properties.
> >>
> >> Thanks, Paul.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nicolas Cueto

> use

> properties

> matching

> the

> top.

Re: align field scrolls

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Mike Bonner's solution -- using selectedLoc to set vScroll -- matches
exactly the scrolling effect I'm after.

Thank you, everyone. And, thank you Mike!

--
Nicolas Cueto