armed icons?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

armed icons?

Lars Brehmer
Well, I am going a bit crazy here (again)!!   For certain buttons I  
am trying to get an "armedIcon" to be displayed when the mouse enters  
the button.  Seems pretty standard, right? Is there some kind of  
trick here? Giving the button an icon, a hilite icon and an armed  
icon in the property inspector doesn't work (nothing happens when the  
mouse enters). Setting the icon, hilite and armed icon with the  
messagebox doesn't work (nothing happens when the mouse enters).  
Setting the autoArm property of the button to true in combination  
with the afore mentioned doesn't work. In fact I've tried every  
combination of all of these things and everything I could find in the  
docs, but I just can't get a button to switch icons  when the mouse  
enters and switch back when it leaves. It seems to me that this  
shouldn't be that hard, I would think it works just like a rollover.  
I've even tied scripting this (on mouseEnter set the icon to...., on  
mouseLeave set the icon to..., etc) but nada. What the heck am i  
donig wrog here?

Cheers,

lars
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: armed icons?

Derek Bump
Lars Brehmer wrote:

> Well, I am going a bit crazy here (again)!!   For certain buttons I  am
> trying to get an "armedIcon" to be displayed when the mouse enters  the
> button.  Seems pretty standard, right? Is there some kind of  trick
> here? Giving the button an icon, a hilite icon and an armed  icon in the
> property inspector doesn't work (nothing happens when the  mouse
> enters). Setting the icon, hilite and armed icon with the  messagebox
> doesn't work (nothing happens when the mouse enters).   Setting the
> autoArm property of the button to true in combination  with the afore
> mentioned doesn't work. In fact I've tried every  combination of all of
> these things and everything I could find in the  docs, but I just can't
> get a button to switch icons  when the mouse  enters and switch back
> when it leaves. It seems to me that this  shouldn't be that hard, I
> would think it works just like a rollover.  I've even tied scripting
> this (on mouseEnter set the icon to...., on  mouseLeave set the icon
> to..., etc) but nada. What the heck am i  donig wrog here?

Well, the following script should work...

    on mouseEnter
       set the icon of me to "1002"
    end mouseEnter

    on mouseLeave
       set the icon of me to "1001"
    end mouseLeave


Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
_______________________________________________
Compress Images Easily with JPEGCompress 2.6.1
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: armed icons?

Chipp Walters
In reply to this post by Lars Brehmer
Lars,

I built you a little demo so you can see how it's done using armedIcon
and NO SCRIPTS.

type in the message box and hit return:

go URL "http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/CustomButtonObjects.rev"

or go to
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Downloads.htm
bottom of the page.

(Chances are your traversalOn property is false)

best,

Chipp


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.6.9 - Release Date: 6/11/2005

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: armed icons?

Eric Chatonet
In reply to this post by Lars Brehmer
Hi Lars,

The armedIcon of any button will be shown only if you set the armed  
property of this button to true.
By default, when creating a new button, its armed property is set to  
false.

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 13 juin 05 à 01:21, Lars Brehmer a écrit :

> Well, I am going a bit crazy here (again)!!   For certain buttons I  
> am trying to get an "armedIcon" to be displayed when the mouse  
> enters the button.  Seems pretty standard, right? Is there some  
> kind of trick here? Giving the button an icon, a hilite icon and an  
> armed icon in the property inspector doesn't work (nothing happens  
> when the mouse enters). Setting the icon, hilite and armed icon  
> with the messagebox doesn't work (nothing happens when the mouse  
> enters).  Setting the autoArm property of the button to true in  
> combination with the afore mentioned doesn't work. In fact I've  
> tried every combination of all of these things and everything I  
> could find in the docs, but I just can't get a button to switch  
> icons  when the mouse enters and switch back when it leaves. It  
> seems to me that this shouldn't be that hard, I would think it  
> works just like a rollover. I've even tied scripting this (on  
> mouseEnter set the icon to...., on mouseLeave set the icon to...,  
> etc) but nada. What the heck am i donig wrog here?

----------------------------------------------------------------
So Smart Software

For institutions, companies and associations
Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website
----------------------------------------------------------------
Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
Email        [hidden email]/
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
----------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new boontlingesque RevCon usage

Erik Hansen

the heated emotions over scripting conventions,
literally involving a food fight, overshadowed
Richard Gaskin's newly coined phrase:

last year's "groups of stuff" has been updated
to "things of stuff" which adroitly avoids
confusion with the more prosaic
"backgrounds of groups".

Erik Hansen

[hidden email]    http://www.erikhansen.org

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new boontlingesque RevCon usage

Richard Gaskin
Erik Hansen wrote:
> the heated emotions over scripting conventions,
> literally involving a food fight,

Yes, for the record let it be known that none other than the
otherwise-mild-mannered Dar Scott threw food at Ken and I during our
discussion of "Hungarian-lite" notation, complete with a flailing of
arms and shouts of "Keep your purity out of my code!"

Since they were packages of peanut butter M&Ms and were rather good, Dar
has been invited to throw food at all presenters at all future Rev
conferences.


> overshadowed
> Richard Gaskin's newly coined phrase:
>
> last year's "groups of stuff" has been updated
> to "things of stuff" which adroitly avoids
> confusion with the more prosaic
> "backgrounds of groups".

Well put (and arguably clearer than my discussion of the differences
between backgrounds and groups). :)

So what's the Boont for "backgroundBehavior"?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation
  __________________________________________________
  Rev tools and more: http://www.fourthworld.com/rev
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new boontlingesque RevCon usage

sims
At 10:31 PM -0700 6/19/05, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>Since they were packages of peanut butter M&Ms and were rather good,
>Dar has been invited to throw food at all presenters at all future
>Rev conferences.



Ahem.
I have some thoughts on that 'invitation' of yours.

Tomato & octopus pasta does *not* lend itself nicely to food fights.
Tentacles of all kind will be OFF the food throwing list during the
EuroRevon 2006.
Please consult the FTD (food throwing database) for further enlightenment!

ciao,
sims
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Food Fight

Dar Scott
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin

On Jun 19, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Erik Hansen wrote:
>> the heated emotions over scripting conventions,
>> literally involving a food fight,
>
> Yes, for the record let it be known that none other than the
> otherwise-mild-mannered Dar Scott threw food at Ken and I during our
> discussion of "Hungarian-lite" notation, complete with a flailing of
> arms and shouts of "Keep your purity out of my code!"
>
> Since they were packages of peanut butter M&Ms and were rather good,
> Dar has been invited to throw food at all presenters at all future Rev
> conferences.

In truth, I'd rather not use "Hungarian-lite" on parameters and
handler-local variables and I think <publisher>_<module>_ prefixes on
command and function names can get long.  (Though I would use those if
a customer asks for them in a coding standard.)  However, Ken and
Richard were quite persuasive, made some good arguments, and were not
pushy at all. I had to applaud and I almost regretted buying all that
throwable food at the corner market.  Almost.

I did hear references to "anarchist" after that.

Dar Scott

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

see3d
Dar,

Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a good natured way) of  
those who think it's overkill to have all these structured names in a  
conversational language with handlers that are usually only a few  
lines long.  Why mar the elegance of a understandable name with  
cryptic unpronounceable prefix letters all over the place?  It's not  
as if I wouldn't be able to instantly recognize ten years later what  
the local variable named partNumber in my 20 line script was for, or  
even that it was a local.  I can see the rationale for this structure  
when writing many huge (multi-page) handlers where you might actually  
forget what the names were for by the end --but most of us don't do  
that.  I think it is usually better to break things up into byte  
sized pieces by defining small handlers and functions that  
essentially extend the language in problem specific ways.

That being said, I believe some structure is good --as long as it can  
be done in an elegant way.  I have not decided what style appeals to  
me yet.  I have seen several writeups about the Hungarian-lite  
style.  Is there any writeups about other styles?  I don't want to  
reinvent the stone wheel, if some else has already done the spoked  
bicycle wheel.

Dennis

On Jun 20, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

>
> On Jun 19, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>
>> Erik Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> the heated emotions over scripting conventions,
>>> literally involving a food fight,
>>>
>>
>> Yes, for the record let it be known that none other than the  
>> otherwise-mild-mannered Dar Scott threw food at Ken and I during  
>> our discussion of "Hungarian-lite" notation, complete with a  
>> flailing of arms and shouts of "Keep your purity out of my code!"
>>
>> Since they were packages of peanut butter M&Ms and were rather  
>> good, Dar has been invited to throw food at all presenters at all  
>> future Rev conferences.
>>
>
> In truth, I'd rather not use "Hungarian-lite" on parameters and  
> handler-local variables and I think <publisher>_<module>_ prefixes  
> on command and function names can get long.  (Though I would use  
> those if a customer asks for them in a coding standard.)  However,  
> Ken and Richard were quite persuasive, made some good arguments,  
> and were not pushy at all. I had to applaud and I almost regretted  
> buying all that throwable food at the corner market.  Almost.
>
> I did hear references to "anarchist" after that.
>
> Dar Scott
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

J. Landman Gay
In reply to this post by Dar Scott
On 6/20/05 1:39 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> I had to applaud and I almost regretted buying all that throwable
> food at the corner market.  Almost.

For myself, the food fight was a highlight of the conference. Enlisting
Andre's throwing arm was a good move, and my only regret was that the
speakers were so cogent that we could not find a time during their
actual talk to do the throwing. We had to wait till the end.

For the record, I am a mixed-racial Hungarian. I like "g" but "l" and
"a" look funny to me. And for temporaries, I vascillate between "t" and
"the" indiscriminately depending on my mood, the weather, and who I'm
working for.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Phil Davis
In reply to this post by see3d
Hi Dennis,

Dennis Brown wrote:

> Dar,
>
> Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a good natured way) of  
> those who think it's overkill to have all these structured names in a  
> conversational language with handlers that are usually only a few  lines
> long.  Why mar the elegance of a understandable name with  cryptic
> unpronounceable prefix letters all over the place?  It's not  as if I
> wouldn't be able to instantly recognize ten years later what  the local
> variable named partNumber in my 20 line script was for, or  even that it
> was a local.  I can see the rationale for this structure  when writing
> many huge (multi-page) handlers where you might actually  forget what
> the names were for by the end --but most of us don't do  that.  I think
> it is usually better to break things up into byte  sized pieces by
> defining small handlers and functions that  essentially extend the
> language in problem specific ways.


But as I understand it, it's less about whether it helps me remember and
more about assuring that my product 'plays nice' with other products.
Using these conventions prevents me from creating a global name in my
libraries/products which simultaneously (1) spans the entire Rev session
namespace [as all globals do], and (2) is already used in someone else's
product/library, which also spans the entire namespace. Obviously that
could cause severe problems in both products that accidentally share
global names.

I suppose a compromise would be to say the conventions are a 'must' when
creating global names, and a 'maybe' when creating other container
names? That way you get protection without losing all sense of personal
freedom.

Phil Davis

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight -- suffixes!

Erik Hansen
In reply to this post by see3d


--- Dennis Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dar,
>
> Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a
> good natured way) of
> those who think it's overkill to have all these
> structured names in a
> conversational language with handlers that are
> usually only a few
> lines long.  Why mar the elegance of a
> understandable name with
> cryptic unpronounceable prefix letters all over
> the place?

OK, how about a cryptic unpronounceable suffix?
i started putting "CB" after all check box
buttons and "RB" after all radio buttons.
this helps when doing a Find on all open
stacks.

Erik Hansen

[hidden email]    http://www.erikhansen.org


               
____________________________________________________
Yahoo! Sports
Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight -- suffixes!

Jon-3


Erik Hansen wrote:

>OK, how about a cryptic unpronounceable suffix?
>i started putting "CB" after all check box
>buttons and "RB" after all radio buttons.
>this helps when doing a Find on all open
>stacks.
>

I always give things names like "CloseButton" or ModeRG (radio group) or
B9600RB (9600 baud radio button).

:)

Jon

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Dar Scott
In reply to this post by J. Landman Gay

On Jun 20, 2005, at 3:18 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> I had to applaud and I almost regretted buying all that throwable
>> food at the corner market.  Almost.
>
> For myself, the food fight was a highlight of the conference.
> Enlisting Andre's throwing arm was a good move, and my only regret was
> that the speakers were so cogent that we could not find a time during
> their actual talk to do the throwing. We had to wait till the end.

See that "we".  You might suspect there was a conspiracy.  You might
even wonder who actually threw food.  The dynamics of these underground
organizations can get quite complicated.

Dar

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Mark Talluto

On Jun 20, 2005, at 9:33 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> See that "we".  You might suspect there was a conspiracy.  You  
> might even wonder who actually threw food.  The dynamics of these  
> underground organizations can get quite complicated.


I just wish some of it had been tossed my way.  :)


Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Judy Perry
That's 'cause you weren't in the direct flight path!

(not that I'm unsympathetic to anti_Hungarian-Lite).

Judy


On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Mark Talluto wrote:

>
> I just wish some of it had been tossed my way.  :)

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Richard Gaskin
In reply to this post by see3d
Dennis Brown wrote:
> Dar,
>
> Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a good natured way) of  
> those who think it's overkill to have all these structured names in a  
> conversational language with handlers that are usually only a few  lines
> long.  Why mar the elegance of a understandable name with  cryptic
> unpronounceable prefix letters all over the place?

Agreed wholeheartedly.  As I noted in the Script Style Guide at
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html> and as
Ken noted in the ECMI draft at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/revInterop/>, none of this is about
cramping anyone's style.  If you have something that works for you, by
all means keep using it.

The naming conventions Ken and I outlined only attempt to help minimize
potential for name-space conflicts.  If you're making only standalones
then abbreviated object naming conventions are of minimal value, but if
you make tools or libraries to be distributed to others you'll need, for
example, some way to distinguish between your stack's "About" box and
those of other stacks.

At present there are more dozens of prolific tool authors for the Rev
community, and the number grows every month.  There are a handful of
issues with the development and deployment of tools that are common to
all, and by choosing to adopt a few fully-optional rules about how
things are put together we can collectively ensure robust and reliable
performance for all of them.

In the case of the ECMI recommendations this goes a step further from
simply not stepping on other tools to allowing graceful integration of
various tools.

One should ideally be able to tailor their workspace with tools from any
toolmaker, and expect that they'll all work without conflict.  This is
full realizable with little effort.

And for those who use tools but do not make them, it should all be
transparent.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal
  _______________________________________________________
  Rev tips, tutorials and more: http://www.revJournal.com
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Dave Cragg
In reply to this post by see3d

On 20 Jun 2005, at 21:06, Dennis Brown wrote:

> Dar,
>
> Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a good natured way) of  
> those who think it's overkill to have all these structured names in  
> a conversational language with handlers that are usually only a few  
> lines long.  Why mar the elegance of a understandable name with  
> cryptic unpronounceable prefix letters all over the place?  It's  
> not as if I wouldn't be able to instantly recognize ten years later  
> what the local variable named partNumber in my 20 line script was  
> for, or even that it was a local.

I sympathise with your view. Although I use east-central-Hungarian-
semi-strict myself, I'd hate to see this stuff forced on anyone.

But there are advantages that it's useful to know about. Others have  
mentioned namespace clashes. Another advanatge relates to your "ten  
years later" comment. xTalks have a large number of reserved words in  
the form of commands, functions and properties, and over time this  
number has grown. So a variable with a friendly name you create now,  
may become a reserved word ten years from now. Those who spend any  
time converting old Hypercard stacks probably know how frustrating  
this can be. As an example, I recently converted some Hypercard  
stacks that used the names "startframe" and "endframe" as parameters  
in various message and function handlers. I'm sure these seemed  
appropriate to the original author, but the Rev compiler didn't like  
them. Rather than spend time thinking of alternative available  
"natural" names, I just stuck a "p" in front -- pStartframe,  
pEndframe. This quickly becomes a habit, so that  in no tTime, you  
gFind yourself taking sThis approach to pAll variables.

Cheers
Dave
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight

Jon-3
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin


Richard Gaskin wrote:

> At present there are more dozens of prolific tool authors for the Rev
> community, and the number grows every month.  There are a handful of
> issues with the development and deployment of tools that are common to
> all, and by choosing to adopt a few fully-optional rules about how
> things are put together we can collectively ensure robust and reliable
> performance for all of them.


This brings up a question I've had.  I think of Rev as being an
interesting way for one person to hack out a small tool/program, but I
have trouble seeing how one would make a large application, for a number
of reasons.  One has to do with the fact that I see no way to create
true objects and classes, both visual and non-visual.  Another has to do
with libraries: I don't see how one would create such a thing and then
use it.  And there is the name space issue, which may be handled
adequately, but perhaps not exceptionally.

Are there resources that explain how one can think about moving beyond
the trivial programs to something more substantial?

Thanks!

Jon
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Food Fight - video

Erik Hansen
In reply to this post by Mark Talluto


--- Mark Talluto <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I just wish some of it had been tossed my way.

i just wish you had had a second roving camera.
next time ask me!

Erik Hansen

[hidden email]    http://www.erikhansen.org

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
123