breakpoints being ignored

Explain this one:
8.1.3
create a stack
put a button on it
add some script
click in the margin to add a breakpoint - it shows grey with red border
run the script
breakpoint doesn't activate
Add a "breakpoint" line as the first line in the script
execute again
breakpoint still doesn't fire.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: breakpoints being ignored

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> breakpoint still doesn't fire.

This is why I call them "Pirate Code Dots" (pad).

The IDE sees them as merely advisory . . .

And I'm again seeing the behavior that a red dot in a script that hasn't
yet hit a breakpoint is often ignored.

Or, with a break, a dialog, and another break, the break after the dialog
is ignored.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: breakpoints being ignored

It's ignoring the "breakpoint" text, too, not just the dots.

Anyway, I trashed my preferences and it seems to be working, now.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > breakpoint still doesn't fire.
>

> This is why I call them "Pirate Code Dots" (pad).
>
> The IDE sees them as merely advisory . . .
>
> And I'm again seeing the behavior that a red dot in a script that hasn't
> yet hit a breakpoint is often ignored.
>
> Or, with a break, a dialog, and another break, the break after the dialog
> is ignored.
>
> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: breakpoints being ignored

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's ignoring the "breakpoint" text, too, not just the dots.

I see that, but less frequently.  "Send in . . ." seems to be related to
that.

> Anyway, I trashed my preferences and it seems to be working, now.

Also, removing all of the red dots in a stack from time to time seems to
help.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: breakpoints being ignored

There was a bug where these breakpoints were not triggering if the script before the dot was edited in such a way as to change the line number it was on. It was supposed to have been resolved, but I still see it from time to time. My solution is to unset and reset after each compile. If I have several I just use the breakpoint command.

Bob S

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 17:36 , Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Explain this one:
> 8.1.3
> create a stack
> put a button on it
> add some script
> click in the margin to add a breakpoint - it shows grey with red border
> run the script
> breakpoint doesn't activate
> Add a "breakpoint" line as the first line in the script
> execute again
> breakpoint still doesn't fire.

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: breakpoints being ignored

OH! That is a different matter. I also ran into situations where the Script Debug Mode kept getting turned off. I haven't seen it in a long time.

Bob S

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 18:12 , Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's ignoring the "breakpoint" text, too, not just the dots.

Re: breakpoints being ignored

dunbarx
This is SO annoying. I know one can get used to anything, but, sheesh.

Craig

Re: breakpoints being ignored

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 8:51 AM, dunbarx via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is SO annoying. I know one can get used to anything, but, sheesh.

We need to get used to getting used to new forms of the PCDs being ignored
. . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: breakpoints being ignored

My recollection is that something in my app was causing a CTD condition or a lockup where I had to force-quit, and after I relaunched, the Script Debug Mode was disabled. When my app is running normally I do not see this anomaly, and it may have been addressed in a newed version.

Bob S

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 08:51 , dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is SO annoying. I know one can get used to anything, but, sheesh.
>
> Craig

Re: breakpoints being ignored

> My recollection is that something in my app was causing a CTD
> condition or a lockup where I had to force-quit, and after I
> relaunched, the Script Debug Mode was disabled. When my app is
> running normally I do not see this anomaly, and it may have been
> addressed in a newed version.

I haven't seen it in a while either. Craig is still on v6 though.

Re: breakpoints being ignored

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't seen it in a while either. Craig is still on v6 though.

Wow.

I had so much problem with v6 and breakpoints that I never used it!

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: breakpoints being ignored

This is something that got mixed up with the preferences, somehow.
Deleting the preferences file fixed it.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen it in a while either. Craig is still on v6 though.
>

> Wow.
>
> I had so much problem with v6 and breakpoints that I never used it!
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: breakpoints being ignored

Interesting… this was happening to me today. on a hunch I set the gRevDevelopment to true… thinking that because I had messed with that yesterday while using the remote debugger on my android phone… I had done something that was blocking script debug --  related to the action of answering "No" to the dialog asking if you want to run a remoteDebug session,  just after installing the standalone on the phone… because I thought (have yet to test/reproduce… very tedious…) possibly that is at least one action that might toggle script debug mode to off (even though it appears checked?) and so your break point could possibly be ignored at that point and until you reboot LC?

Dunno, just was just fishing for possible recipes…

but aha, gRevDevelopment, true:  the break point was "honored" Of course it starting stepping through a lot of IDE code, so I had to go back and set the gRevDevelopment to "false"  and now the break points work…

….of course if it goes all the way back to 8.1.3 and 6, then it could be anything….

BR

Mike Kerner wrote:

    Add a "breakpoint" line as the first line in the script
    execute again
    breakpoint still doesn't fire.

Re: breakpoints being ignored

These issues sound like they are to do with Script Debug Mode. Please check
if this is turned on in the Development menu.

Mike, this sounds like it was probably your issue too, especially if
trashing your prefs fixed it, as Script Debug Mode on is the default.

It *does* sound like there may be a new issue with Script Debug Mode
getting turned off somehow, which seems worth looking into.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:29 AM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting… this was happening to me today. on a hunch I set the
> gRevDevelopment to true… thinking that because I had messed with that
> yesterday while using the remote debugger on my android phone… I had done
> something that was blocking script debug --  related to the action of
> answering "No" to the dialog asking if you want to run a remoteDebug
> session,  just after installing the standalone on the phone… because I
> thought (have yet to test/reproduce… very tedious…) possibly that is at
> least one action that might toggle script debug mode to off (even though it
> appears checked?) and so your break point could possibly be ignored at that
> point and until you reboot LC?
>
> Dunno, just was just fishing for possible recipes…
>
> but aha, gRevDevelopment, true:  the break point was "honored" Of course
> it starting stepping through a lot of IDE code, so I had to go back and set
> the gRevDevelopment to "false"  and now the break points work…
>
> ….of course if it goes all the way back to 8.1.3 and 6, then it could be
> anything….
>
> BR
>

> Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>     Add a "breakpoint" line as the first line in the script
>     execute again
>     breakpoint still doesn't fire.

Re: breakpoints being ignored

I need to see if I can make it happen, again.  I wonder if going back and
forth between 9 to do remote debugging and 8 because 9 has issues may be
causing it.  Will file a bug report if I can repeat it.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 5:58 AM, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> These issues sound like they are to do with Script Debug Mode. Please check
> if this is turned on in the Development menu.
>
> Mike, this sounds like it was probably your issue too, especially if
> trashing your prefs fixed it, as Script Debug Mode on is the default.
>
> It *does* sound like there may be a new issue with Script Debug Mode
> getting turned off somehow, which seems worth looking into.
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:29 AM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
> <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting… this was happening to me today. on a hunch I set the
> > gRevDevelopment to true… thinking that because I had messed with that
> > yesterday while using the remote debugger on my android phone… I had done
> > something that was blocking script debug --  related to the action of
> > answering "No" to the dialog asking if you want to run a remoteDebug
> > session,  just after installing the standalone on the phone… because I
> > thought (have yet to test/reproduce… very tedious…) possibly that is at
> > least one action that might toggle script debug mode to off (even though
> it
> > appears checked?) and so your break point could possibly be ignored at
> that
> > point and until you reboot LC?
> >
> > Dunno, just was just fishing for possible recipes…
> >
> > but aha, gRevDevelopment, true:  the break point was "honored" Of course
> > it starting stepping through a lot of IDE code, so I had to go back and
> set
> > the gRevDevelopment to "false"  and now the break points work…
> >
> > ….of course if it goes all the way back to 8.1.3 and 6, then it could be
> > anything….
> >
> > BR
> >

> > Mike Kerner wrote:
> >
> >     Add a "breakpoint" line as the first line in the script
> >     execute again
> >     breakpoint still doesn't fire.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: breakpoints being ignored

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to see if I can make it happen, again.  I wonder if going back and
> forth between 9 to do remote debugging and 8 because 9 has issues may be
> causing it.  Will file a bug report if I can repeat it.

FWIW . . . when early 7 got too bad, I'd load and save again in 5, reload
in 7, and things usually got a bit better.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: breakpoints being ignored

Bingo.  It happens in 9 when using the remote debugger.  The Script
Debugging gets disabled during this process.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I need to see if I can make it happen, again.  I wonder if going back and
> > forth between 9 to do remote debugging and 8 because 9 has issues may be
> > causing it.  Will file a bug report if I can repeat it.
> >

> FWIW . . . when early 7 got too bad, I'd load and save again in 5, reload
> in 7, and things usually got a bit better.
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: breakpoints being ignored

Mike Kerner :

    Bingo.  It happens in 9 when using the remote debugger.  The Script
    Debugging gets disabled during this process.

ditto what Mike said, confirmed again here today…"gotcha", because the check mark remains on the IDE menu and toggling the menu item on and off doesn't seem to help.

BR