button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Developing a stack on windows, which has two groups of 30 buttons
contiguosly placed, and each button's settings are:

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
style=standard

autohilite, sharedhilite, focuswithkeyboard, focusborder,
defaultbutton,disabled = FALSE

visible, opaque, show name, 3-D, showborder=TRUE
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

On Android, after a button is tapped, its appearance is inconsistent. It
looks either:
1. first depressed (inset?) and then un-depressed
2. first depressed and remains depressed

It seems the difference in appearance depends on the time length of the
tap, and perhaps too on how narrow/small the buttons are (my fingertip is
almost larger than the button height). If a tap is very brief, the button
returns to an un-depressed state; if longishly held, the button stays
depressed.

However on windows, the buttons show no depressed-undepressed change. They
remain as they appear when mouse-clicked.

So, how can I get those buttons to work on Android the same as they do on
Windows, i.e, no depressed-undepressed appearance change?

Thank you.

--
Nicolás Cueto

Re: button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
If you mean you don't want any visible reaction at all, turn off
autohilite, sharedhilite, focuswithkeyboard, focus border, and defaultbutton.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On May 29, 2018 8:37:09 PM Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Developing a stack on windows, which has two groups of 30 buttons
> contiguosly placed, and each button's settings are:
>
> '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
> style=standard
>
> autohilite, sharedhilite, focuswithkeyboard, focusborder,
> defaultbutton,disabled = FALSE
>
> visible, opaque, show name, 3-D, showborder=TRUE
> ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>
> On Android, after a button is tapped, its appearance is inconsistent. It
> looks either:
> 1. first depressed (inset?) and then un-depressed
> 2. first depressed and remains depressed
>
> It seems the difference in appearance depends on the time length of the
> tap, and perhaps too on how narrow/small the buttons are (my fingertip is
> almost larger than the button height). If a tap is very brief, the button
> returns to an un-depressed state; if longishly held, the button stays
> depressed.
>
> However on windows, the buttons show no depressed-undepressed change. They
> remain as they appear when mouse-clicked.
>
> So, how can I get those buttons to work on Android the same as they do on
> Windows, i.e, no depressed-undepressed appearance change?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Nicolás Cueto

Re: button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
I'm seeing similar behavior on the main navigation buttons at bottom of  the screen. In SivaSiva app Although it behaves differently, I suspect similar underlying engine issue

I have large fingers, Example, the "Home" (a button that takes you back) icon has plenty of touch space.  It is on left bottom..

When I touch it carefully, and slowly with my thumb or big forefinger, and release, it seems not to send mouseup. I was wracking head around this... but when I tried to touched very lightly, using my "little pinky" .. it was immediately responsive!

I had a round of support questions to business support on the subjects

 All they could come up with was. "I think it might just be that it is a smallish area that is quite hard to hit. You could increase the height of the SVG widgets to be as tall as the bar or perhaps providing some visual feedback to the user."

But that is not it.  The finger is  touch the button. I was told

"To try and see what is happening with the buttons and detect when they are
actually being hit you could add some logging to the mouseUp handler."

and,  "a slow, full finger push" on the button indeed gives no mouseup... but a light touch will!

Are all of your button SVG Widgets?  I gave up on this, it was so mysterious.

After 1.2 goes out the  week, I will test it again

BR

Wrote:

    On Android, after a button is tapped, its appearance is inconsistent. It
    looks either:
    1. first depressed (inset?) and then un-depressed
    2. first depressed and remains depressed

    It seems the difference in appearance depends on the time length of the
    tap, and perhaps too on how narrow/small the buttons are (my fingertip is
    almost larger than the button height). If a tap is very brief, the button
    returns to an un-depressed state; if longishly held, the button stays
    depressed.

Re: button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Is it possible that a long press is sending a different message (and not the mouseUp)? I do not have Android development set up yet (or a device other than a Fire) so I can’t test to see.
On May 30, 2018, 8:18 PM -0500, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I'm seeing similar behavior on the main navigation buttons at bottom of the screen. In SivaSiva app Although it behaves differently, I suspect similar underlying engine issue
>
> I have large fingers, Example, the "Home" (a button that takes you back) icon has plenty of touch space. It is on left bottom..
>
> When I touch it carefully, and slowly with my thumb or big forefinger, and release, it seems not to send mouseup. I was wracking head around this... but when I tried to touched very lightly, using my "little pinky" .. it was immediately responsive!
>
> I had a round of support questions to business support on the subjects
>
> All they could come up with was. "I think it might just be that it is a smallish area that is quite hard to hit. You could increase the height of the SVG widgets to be as tall as the bar or perhaps providing some visual feedback to the user."
>
> But that is not it. The finger is touch the button. I was told
>
> "To try and see what is happening with the buttons and detect when they are
> actually being hit you could add some logging to the mouseUp handler."
>
> and, "a slow, full finger push" on the button indeed gives no mouseup... but a light touch will!
>
> Are all of your button SVG Widgets? I gave up on this, it was so mysterious.
>
> After 1.2 goes out the week, I will test it again
>
> BR
>

> Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode
>
> Wrote:
>
> On Android, after a button is tapped, its appearance is inconsistent. It
> looks either:
> 1. first depressed (inset?) and then un-depressed
> 2. first depressed and remains depressed
>
> It seems the difference in appearance depends on the time length of the
> tap, and perhaps too on how narrow/small the buttons are (my fingertip is
> almost larger than the button height). If a tap is very brief, the button
> returns to an un-depressed state; if longishly held, the button stays
> depressed.

Re: button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
There is a convention on Android where a long press on a button can, and
often does, show a tooltip or a label. This is handy when you don't know
what an icon means. Long presses on Android can also behave like right
clicks on desktop to provide alternate behaviors. It may be that the
problem isn't LC, but rather Android ceding time for that sort of thing.

Just a guess based on nothing much.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On May 30, 2018 9:34:40 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible that a long press is sending a different message (and not
> the mouseUp)? I do not have Android development set up yet (or a device
> other than a Fire) so I can’t test to see.
> On May 30, 2018, 8:18 PM -0500, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> I'm seeing similar behavior on the main navigation buttons at bottom of the
>> screen. In SivaSiva app Although it behaves differently, I suspect similar
>> underlying engine issue
>>
>> I have large fingers, Example, the "Home" (a button that takes you back)
>> icon has plenty of touch space. It is on left bottom..
>>
>> When I touch it carefully, and slowly with my thumb or big forefinger, and
>> release, it seems not to send mouseup. I was wracking head around this...
>> but when I tried to touched very lightly, using my "little pinky" .. it was
>> immediately responsive!
>>
>> I had a round of support questions to business support on the subjects
>>
>> All they could come up with was. "I think it might just be that it is a
>> smallish area that is quite hard to hit. You could increase the height of
>> the SVG widgets to be as tall as the bar or perhaps providing some visual
>> feedback to the user."
>>
>> But that is not it. The finger is touch the button. I was told
>>
>> "To try and see what is happening with the buttons and detect when they are
>> actually being hit you could add some logging to the mouseUp handler."
>>
>> and, "a slow, full finger push" on the button indeed gives no mouseup...
>> but a light touch will!
>>
>> Are all of your button SVG Widgets? I gave up on this, it was so mysterious.
>>
>> After 1.2 goes out the week, I will test it again
>>
>> BR
>>

>> Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode
>>
>> Wrote:
>>
>> On Android, after a button is tapped, its appearance is inconsistent. It
>> looks either:
>> 1. first depressed (inset?) and then un-depressed
>> 2. first depressed and remains depressed
>>
>> It seems the difference in appearance depends on the time length of the
>> tap, and perhaps too on how narrow/small the buttons are (my fingertip is
>> almost larger than the button height). If a tap is very brief, the button
>> returns to an un-depressed state; if longishly held, the button stays
>> depressed.

Re: button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Well, "rather Android ceding time for that sort of thing."

While it may not be a LC "problem"  ... we need a way to avoid the long press behavior (if that is it is?) and ensure the button responds. N'est ce pas?

BR

On 5/30/18, 7:15 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Long presses on Android can also behave like right
    clicks on desktop to provide alternate behaviors. It may be that the
    problem isn't LC, but rather Android ceding time for that sort of thing.

    Just a guess based on nothing much.

Re: button action different on Android

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Hi Swami,

How about using the mousestlilldown command  and call the mouseup within
that?

Lagi