cRevTable properties

Richard Gaskin
I just cleaned out the cRevTable property set from objects in a client's
stack, and it dropped his stack size from 11MB down to a tidy 40k.

Are the redundant copies of field data being stored in a bloated
htmlText form for each RevTable object truly essential for RevTables to
work as such?

If so, I'll BZ it as a design bug.

If not, I'll BZ it as an operational bug.

Emptying a field MUST empty the field....

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: cRevTable properties

Chipp Walters
Yes, there are also other rev props which can be 'cleaned' from a stack with
no side-effects. In fact, my altClean plugin regularly saves 50% or more of
stacks when I save them.

If you haven't yet tried it, put this in the message box:

go URL "http://www.gadgetplugins.com/altplugins/revAltCleanStack.rev"

Then palette the stack (click in the very topLeft of the altClean stack
window) and you can see for yourself.

For those of you wondering, Rev does strip these properties when building a
standalone with your stack. But, if you use stacks which aren't in
standalones (like data stacks, or plugins), you should always altClean them.

best,
Chipp

Re: cRevTable properties

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Yes, there are also other rev props which can be 'cleaned' from a stack with
> no side-effects.

The RevTable settings aren't stored in that property set?

Are there any cRev* property sets which CAN'T be safely deleted?

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: cRevTable properties

Paul Looney-2
Chipp,
One of the options on AltCleanStack is
clear cREVGeometry
What is this?
Thanks,
Paul Looney

In a message dated 11/5/06 6:04:47 PM, [hidden email] writes:

> go URL "http://www.gadgetplugins.com/altplugins/revAltCleanStack.rev"

Re: cRevTable properties

Chipp Walters
Hi Paul,

If you use the Geometry Manager to manage resizing of stacks, then you don't
want to delete the cREVGeometry prop set. It is only set if/when you are
using Geometry Manager. Sometimes, you may have tried GM and decided not to
use it, but the GM prop sets are still there. In those cases it is good to
delete the prop set.

Richard,

Since I never used cREVtable, I didn't check for it. But it is a different
prop set and should be deleted. Like GM, cREVtable isn't set unless the
Table Object in the field properties settings is checked. So, just created
tabstops and hGrid,vGrid does not put it on. Frankly, I wasn't aware on how
large those props may have been.

All that said, I imagine your client was using it in a fairly unconventional
way to see those kinds of file savings. Was cREVtable caching old data?

Everyone,

Though many of these prop sets contain either redundant or useless data for
your deployed application, none of them actually hurt anything. So, leaving
them alone is okay, too.

Re: cRevTable properties

Chipp Walters wrote:

> All that said, I imagine your client was using it in a fairly unconventional
> way to see those kinds of file savings.

Nothing more unconventional that displaying a list of records from a
database.

In plain tab-delimited form, the list itself is much smaller than the
copy stored in the custom prop.  Apparently the redundant copy of the
data is being stored in the uniquely bloated htmlText format rather than
the simple tab-delimited format the field itself uses.

I don't know why the redundant copy is in htmlText, but then again I
don't know why it's there at all....

  Fourth World Media Corporation

RE: cRevTable properties

MisterX
Just for your information,

I just gained 600Ks back from my xos stack - 60%!!!

Worse, I found that all my fields had a crevTable prop (which I NEVER
used!)... I must have accidentally clicked on the table button once...

Since then all the fields have the prop (it seems). However there's side
effect that when you select a field, choose "Table" from the menu of the
prop palette, the prop palette will go in a seemingly infinite loop... Which
is an indicator that your stack was "polutted" with the unwanted revtable
props...

what you need to add to revAltCleanStack's card script is ...

on cleanRevTableSets pObj
  get the customPropertySets of pObj
  set the wholeMatches to true
  delete line lineOffset("cREVTable",it) of it
  set the customPropertySets of pObj to it
end cleanRevTableSets

You also need to call it within the controls' loops in that same card
script...

Thanks Chipp!

Cheers
Xavier