callbacks in Mac video player?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

callbacks in Mac video player?

JJS via use-livecode
The Dictionary says callbacks still work on macOS, but it also says
they're supported on Linux, where I don't recall callbacks ever being
supported, and for several years video playback doesn't work at all.

I can't make callbacks work on macOS Catalina using v9.5.

Should they?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: callbacks in Mac video player?

JJS via use-livecode
> Richard G. wrote:
> The Dictionary says callbacks still work on macOS, but it
> also says they're supported on Linux, where I don't recall
> callbacks ever being supported, and for several years video
> playback doesn't work at all.
> I can't make callbacks work on macOS Catalina using v9.5.
> Should they?

Yes. But they don't. Use 8.1.10 or 9.0.5.
TMHO 9.5.0 has effectively "beta" status.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: callbacks in Mac video player?

JJS via use-livecode
hh wrote:
 >> Richard G. wrote:
 >> The Dictionary says callbacks still work on macOS, but it
 >> also says they're supported on Linux, where I don't recall
 >> callbacks ever being supported, and for several years video
 >> playback doesn't work at all.
 >> I can't make callbacks work on macOS Catalina using v9.5.
 >> Should they?
 >
 > Yes. But they don't. Use 8.1.10 or 9.0.5.

Thanks.  Unfortunately the reason I'm looking into this is to replace an
old component dependent on 32-bit macOS, now that many are "upgrading"
to Catalina.

::sigh::

I searched the bug DB, but couldn't find the report for this.  Do you
know offhand what it's titled?

If we can't find a way to do video callbacks in LC our plan is to
rewrite the app in HTML for the web.



I hear FileMaker users think video callbacks are really important....

;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: callbacks in Mac video player?

JJS via use-livecode
In reply to this post by JJS via use-livecode
> Richard G. wrote:
> Thanks. Unfortunately the reason I'm looking into this is to replace an
> old component dependent on 32-bit macOS, now that many are "upgrading"
> to Catalina.

Richard, 9.0.5 WORKS, also its standalones (check 64 bit), on Catalina...
Even 8.1.10 can build (experimental) 64bit standalones.

> I searched the bug DB, but couldn't find the report for this.  Do you
> know offhand what it's titled?

I gave up to report all the regressions I suffer from with 9.5 on Catalina ...
I'm not a beta tester. At least as long as not even my tiniest wishes for HTML5
and LCB (incl. Browser widget) are fulfilled.

> If we can't find a way to do video callbacks in LC our plan is to rewrite the
> app in HTML for the web.

It would be easy to do that in a HTML5 standalone, even if you need webRTC/
getUserMedia. But the rest of your shining layout is probably rather unfinished
in the HTML5 standalone builder.
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: callbacks in Mac video player?

JJS via use-livecode
hh wrote:

 >> Richard G. wrote:
 >> Thanks. Unfortunately the reason I'm looking into this is to replace
 >> an old component dependent on 32-bit macOS, now that many are
 >> "upgrading" to Catalina.
 >
 > Richard, 9.0.5 WORKS, also its standalones (check 64 bit), on
 > Catalina...

Indeed it does.  And I stand corrected: callbacks apparently work in
v9.5 under Catalina as well.

Man, sure would be nice to be able to do that on Linux....


 >> I searched the bug DB, but couldn't find the report for this.  Do you
 >> know offhand what it's titled?
 >
 > I gave up to report all the regressions I suffer from with 9.5 on
 > Catalina ...

That callbacks are working in 9.5 explains why I wasn't able to find a
bug report against them. :)


 > I'm not a beta tester. At least as long as not even my tiniest wishes
 > for HTML5 and LCB (incl. Browser widget) are fulfilled.

What do you need from LCB that's missing?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: callbacks in Mac video player?

JJS via use-livecode
In reply to this post by JJS via use-livecode
> Richard G. wrote:
> I stand corrected: callbacks apparently work in v9.5 under Catalina as well.

True, works here also, sorry all for the wrong info.
[Looked at my earlier tests. The problem there was the msgbox (kept hidden).]

> What do you need from LCB that's missing?

an up-to-date browser widget/libbrowser,
'set my rectangle',
basic keyboard support,
base64Encode/Decode (this is nearly done),
call JS from LCB without using a browser widget.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode