capitalize

Richmond Mathewson
BUT . . .

for those of us who stray into the Cyrillic alphabet
and other non-Roman writing systems . . .

The RR documentation points out that toLower and
toUpper only function with the first 128 ASCII codes.

Which is a shame.

Which means that RR is not entirely Unicode compliant.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

I have just read and signed the online petition:

   "Hinge & Bracket"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

   http://www.PetitionOnline.com/HandB/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too.  If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and
consider signing yourself.

Richmond Mathewson

RE: capitalize

MisterX
Actually even in unicode the capital and lowercase Roman characters are 20
units appart.

In old programming style, you would just add 20 to the
numtochar(chartonum("A")) to get the lowercase 'a' and it works from a to
z...

Unfortunately, for other characters like diacriticals this logic is broken
and up to the OS maker. And glad we are that the french academy (who makes
the rules on french) will not sue you or imprison you for not capitalizig a
diacritical e aigu in a sentence beginning! Though at one point it was
almost made into law in France not to use english words on the radio/TV
thanks to these illuminated fools...

I assume for other languages (chinese, hebrew, arabic, etc) there's maybe
some logic, but seeing diacriticals in western languages and the way they
are in the ascII chart, I doubt it. At least at first sight there doesn't
seem to be any logic...

I don't know how HyperTalk, MetaCard or RunRev could handle that. Maybe it's
time to write a character case-parser plugin.

just my 2 cents...

Cheers
Xavier

Re: capitalize

Dar Scott

On Nov 2, 2006, at 7:13 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> for those of us who stray into the Cyrillic alphabet
> and other non-Roman writing systems . . .
>
> The RR documentation points out that toLower and
> toUpper only function with the first 128 ASCII codes.
>
> Which is a shame.
>
> Which means that RR is not entirely Unicode compliant.

The use of Unicode is obviously the way to go in handling fully
flexible and globalized text.

I expect that, as features improve, Revolution will grow in that
direction.

I don't see a general toUpper or toLower as a high priority in that
growth.  This is because one can write (and folks have written, I
think) language specific functions as they need.  This is also
because in the general case, the concept gets hazy.  Many languages
don't have the concept of upper and lower.  Some have different upper
case letters depending on the context.  I expect 3rd party libraries
might fit the bill.  Even so I would not be surprised if eventually
these functions are improved.  Even when Revolution becomes fully
Unicode in some sense, folks might rely on Unicode db functions
instead of toUpper and toLower, anyway.

However, currently only (about) two 8-bit character sets are used as
the primary character sets in Revolution.  There is some room for
improvement here, but that improvement might best come when a Unicode
based Revolution comes.

I know RunRev is working hard on improvements and global text is on
the list.  Revolution has a few features related to Unicode that help
in the mean time.  Revolution is not "Unicode compliant" and I don't
think there have been such claims.

So, the nature of these functions is consistent with the history and
growth-point of Revolution.  Lack of universal language
capitalization is not a shortcoming of Revolution, but is an op for
RunRev or 3rd parties.

As for Cyrillic used for Russian, most of the Unicode alphabet
character code points (but not all) are sequential, which might be
useful in writing a converter.

Dar

PS I hope to get my Unicode 5 book in the mail any day now (for
casual reading) and might change my mind on things based on that.