cascade menus

John Ridge
I know from an earlier thread that there is an issue over the implementation
of the cascade style (it's really intended for use in nested menus, so its
standalone behaviour is non-standard - you must  mouseDown *outside* the
menu text before you can select a menu item).

But I have an experimental stack in which it won't even do this correctly.
I've uploaded it to RevOnline as "Tab menu" (user "jmr"). I'd be grateful to
anyone who can tell me what is going wrong here. Unless, of course, it works
perfectly on your platform! Mine is Mac OS9.

Re: cascade menus

Wouter-12
Hi John,

The behavior you see for your cascade button is because of the
autoarm property.
Turn it off by script, as the inspector is not showing it (at least I
cannot find it in the 2.6 inspector, may be others know where it is
located).
Instead of the way you use the menuhistory you also could use the
param of the menupick handler (which contains the label of the the
tab clicked):

on menuPick tWhich
  go tWhich
  set the label of me to "Cascade" && tWhich
end menuPick

Greetings,
Wouter

on 14/6/05 9:54 am,  Wouter wrote :

Hi John,

The behavior you see for your cascade button is because of the
autoarm property.

***************

Thanks, Wouter. Mind you, I'm still puzzled by the other stack in which it
seems to work with autoArm set to true. What I want is a button that
displays its menu as the mouse rolls over it - i.e. autoArm true. With
autoArm false, the "cascade" turns into a humble dropdown or popup.

And, as you rightly ask - why doesn't the Property Inspector give us a hint
about this? OK - so many properties, so little space in the PI window.
Sigh...

Re: cascade menus

Wouter-12
Hi John,

I had another look at your stack and the cascade button in question.
It must have sustained some shape-shifting for its properties to be
set that way.

To have the cascade button work as you like, you should:
     - turn autoarm on
     - turn traversalOn off !!!!

And the property inspector is lousy in this aspect (too).
Better use one of the widgets available or make your own.

Greetings,
Wouter

On 14 Jun 2005, at 18:55, John Ridge wrote:

> on 14/6/05 9:54 am,  Wouter wrote :
>
> Hi John,
>
> The behavior you see for your cascade button is because of the
> autoarm property.
>
> ***************
>
> Thanks, Wouter. Mind you, I'm still puzzled by the other stack in
> which it
> seems to work with autoArm set to true. What I want is a button that
> displays its menu as the mouse rolls over it - i.e. autoArm true. With
> autoArm false, the "cascade" turns into a humble dropdown or popup.
>
> And, as you rightly ask - why doesn't the Property Inspector give
> us a hint
> about this? OK - so many properties, so little space in the PI window.
> Sigh...

Re: cascade menus

Wouter-12
Also have a look at Bug 1338.

At    2004-06-26 19:51 -------
-->   it was changed  to enhancement

In 2.6 still as buggy as ever.

But if you really need cascade style buttons they can be simulated
very easily.