color properties of an image object

Howard Bornstein
I was working with an image object and wanted to set its border to a
specific color. Well, the image object doesn't seem to obey the normal
laws that other objects do.

First, the official word:

"Each Revolution object has eight color "slots", eight properties of
the object that together specify the color of all the object's parts.
These properties are:

foregroundColor: the color of text in the object
backgroundColor: the color the object is filled with
borderColor: the color of the object's borders if its threeD property is false
topColor: the color of a 3-D object's raised edge
bottomColor: the color of a 3-D object's lowered edge
shadowColor: the color of an object's drop shadow
hiliteColor: the color of highlighted objects and of text selections
focusColor: the color of the outline around the object when it has the focus"

However, when you go to the colors pane of the Properties Inspector
for an image object, you're presented with a list of 8 icons labeled
"first color", "second color", etc. instead of foregroundColor,
backgroundColor, etc. However, if you hold the mouse over the icons,
the tooltips do properly identify them. So first question: why are
these not labeled properly?

Secondly, they don't seem to do anything. Setting any of them produces
no noticeable results. Why?

Third, if you color in an image object, that color appears in the
first color icon (where it should really appear in the second color
icon, which corresponds to background color). If you click the icon to
change it, the icon will display the color you chose, but the image
doesn't change. When you come back to that pane in the PI, the icon
has reverted to the actual color of the image object.

So I have two actual questions: 1) what is up with the PI for colors
for the image object, and 2) do all 8 colors actually work with the
image object? In particular, I want to set the border color to
something other than black. I can't seem to do it, even though it has
a border.

Anybody know?

Howard Bornstein

Re: color properties of an image object

Eric Chatonet
Hi Howard,

I did not remember how I found that but the borderColor of an image
(when its threeD is disabled) is the borderColor of the card.
As a standard, the showBorder of a card is false, so it does not
matter to set it to a color suitable for your images :-)
A little bit weird...
Of course, you can't specify different colors for different images in
the same card.

Le 15 juin 05 à 22:08, Howard Bornstein a écrit :

> In particular, I want to set the border color to
> something other than black. I can't seem to do it, even though it has
> a border.

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: color properties of an image object

John Ridge
on 15/6/05 9:08 pm,  Howard Bornstein wrote :

However, if you hold the mouse over the icons,
the tooltips do properly identify them. So first question: why are
these not labeled properly?

******************

On this specific point, I recall Ruslan making the same complaint some time
ago on this list. The suggestion made to him was to go to Preferences, and
in the first (general) pane, select "property labels are Name of Transcript
property".

The tooltip for this choice implies that it is the grown-up option! So I
feel that I must be making progress with Revolution  - I have just decided I
need to click that button myself...

Best wishes
John

On 6/16/05, John Ridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on 15/6/05 9:08 pm,  Howard Bornstein wrote :
>
> However, if you hold the mouse over the icons,
> the tooltips do properly identify them. So first question: why are
> these not labeled properly?
>
> ******************
>
> On this specific point, I recall Ruslan making the same complaint some time
> ago on this list. The suggestion made to him was to go to Preferences, and
> in the first (general) pane, select "property labels are Name of Transcript
> property".

I'm not raising this as a tooltips issue. Compare the Colors and
Patterns pane of the Property Inspector for images and for buttons.
Buttons label properly all the 8 color options while images don't.
This is irrespective of their tooltips. But more importantly, the
images color properties don't seem to work. That's what I'm really
trying to find out about.

Howard Bornstein

Re: color properties of an image object

J. Landman Gay
On 6/17/05 8:23 AM, Howard Bornstein wrote:

> But more importantly, the
> images color properties don't seem to work. That's what I'm really
> trying to find out about.

I was told by Scott Raney that you can't set the colors of an image
object to anything other than those actually contained within the image.
The image object itself uses the same color palette as its contents.

On 6/18/05, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/17/05 8:23 AM, Howard Bornstein wrote:
>
> > But more importantly, the
> > images color properties don't seem to work. That's what I'm really
> > trying to find out about.
> >

> I was told by Scott Raney that you can't set the colors of an image
> object to anything other than those actually contained within the image.
> The image object itself uses the same color palette as its contents.

Thanks Jacque,

It's strange though. It makes sense that things like the foreground
and background color are set by the image contents. But what about the
border? You can create a border on an image like any other object. You
can make it 3D. But the border always defaults to black. The top and
bottom colors always default to white and grey. Since these display
like any other object, why not give them the same color attributes as
any other object?

Strangely, you can also set the shadow property and the focusborder
color for an image object even though they don't do anything.

At the least, the documentation should be updated.

Howard Bornstein