colors in scrolling text field

Jon-3
I am creating a scrolling log of program activities, and want to color
code the output so that normal events are black or green, but problems
are shown in red.  I played with setting colors in a regular field, and
the colors seem to stick to the field positions, rather than moving with
the characters.  Am I correct about this?

I tried setting the foregroundcolor in a text chunk that was stored in a
local variable, but that failed.  The idea was to set the colors up in
the string before it went out to the scrolling field, in the hopes that
the colors would magically be set in the string and follow the
characters out to the scrolling field.  This does not seem to work either.

Am I trying to do something that is not possible in Rev, or am I just
not clear on how to accomplish this?  I know that HTML support is
somehow built into parts of Rev: would using <font color=green> work?  I
tried it, and it did not work trivially.

:)

Jon

Re: colors in scrolling text field

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jon,

Le 23 août 05 à 23:18, Jon a écrit :

> I am creating a scrolling log of program activities, and want to
> color code the output so that normal events are black or green, but
> problems are shown in red.  I played with setting colors in a
> regular field, and the colors seem to stick to the field positions,
> rather than moving with the characters.  Am I correct about this?
>
> I tried setting the foregroundcolor in a text chunk that was stored
> in a local variable, but that failed.  The idea was to set the
> colors up in the string before it went out to the scrolling field,
> in the hopes that the colors would magically be set in the string
> and follow the characters out to the scrolling field.  This does
> not seem to work either.
>
> Am I trying to do something that is not possible in Rev, or am I
> just not clear on how to accomplish this?  I know that HTML support
> is somehow built into parts of Rev: would using <font color=green>
> work?  I tried it, and it did not work trivially.

Using HTML is the right way to display coloured text and more
generally styled text:
(here a tab delimited list where each line has a different colour and
the first one is in bolded style)

font></p>
backup&#9;Done&#9;Mailing base_3</font></p>
backup&#9;Undone&#9;Unchanged file size</font></p>

You might be interested in the Encoded Text Picker plugin which
translates both to and from HTML and/or URLEncode, letting you to set
styles, colors, etc. and watch the resulting html code and the "How
to Create and Manage HTML lists" tutorial.
Both are available from my website.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: colors in scrolling text field

mwieder
Jon-

Tuesday, August 23, 2005, 2:18:38 PM, you wrote:

> Am I trying to do something that is not possible in Rev, or am I just
> not clear on how to accomplish this?  I know that HTML support is
> somehow built into parts of Rev: would using <font color=green> work?  I
> tried it, and it did not work trivially.

Set the color *after* you put the text in the field. I do this for log
output in the same manner as you're attempting and it works well for
me in scrolling fields.

put "normal text" & cr after field "xyz"
put "problem text" & cr after field "xyz"
set the foreColor of line -1 of field "xyz" to "red"

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: colors in scrolling text field

Jon-3
Eric:

Your response is, as usual, excellent.  Except that, as I said, I did
try putting HTML into a scrolling field, and all I got was the typical
HTML garbage on the screen; the HTML commands were not interpreted
correctly.  Do I have to put the HTML someplace special, or enable it
somehow?

Thanks!

:)

Jon

Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Le 23 août 05 à 23:18, Jon a écrit :
>
>> I am creating a scrolling log of program activities, and want to
>> color code the output so that normal events are black or green, but
>> problems are shown in red.  I played with setting colors in a
>> regular field, and the colors seem to stick to the field positions,
>> rather than moving with the characters.  Am I correct about this?
>>
>> I tried setting the foregroundcolor in a text chunk that was stored
>> in a local variable, but that failed.  The idea was to set the
>> colors up in the string before it went out to the scrolling field,
>> in the hopes that the colors would magically be set in the string
>> and follow the characters out to the scrolling field.  This does  not
>> seem to work either.
>>
>> Am I trying to do something that is not possible in Rev, or am I
>> just not clear on how to accomplish this?  I know that HTML support
>> is somehow built into parts of Rev: would using <font color=green>
>> work?  I tried it, and it did not work trivially.
>

> Using HTML is the right way to display coloured text and more
> generally styled text:
> (here a tab delimited list where each line has a different colour and
> the first one is in bolded style)

> font></p>
> backup&#9;Done&#9;Mailing base_3</font></p>
> backup&#9;Undone&#9;Unchanged file size</font></p>
>
> You might be interested in the Encoded Text Picker plugin which
> translates both to and from HTML and/or URLEncode, letting you to set
> styles, colors, etc. and watch the resulting html code and the "How
> to Create and Manage HTML lists" tutorial.
> Both are available from my website.
>
> Best Regards from Paris,
>
> Eric Chatonet.
> So Smart Software
>
> For institutions, companies and associations
> Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
> Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>
> Free plugins and tutorials on my website

Re: colors in scrolling text field

Jon-3
Mark:

Silly me: I did not think of "line -1".  Still learning...

Thanks!

:)

Jon

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Jon-
>
>Tuesday, August 23, 2005, 2:18:38 PM, you wrote:
>

>>Am I trying to do something that is not possible in Rev, or am I just
>>not clear on how to accomplish this?  I know that HTML support is
>>somehow built into parts of Rev: would using <font color=green> work?  I
>>tried it, and it did not work trivially.
>>

>Set the color *after* you put the text in the field. I do this for log
>output in the same manner as you're attempting and it works well for
>me in scrolling fields.
>
>put "normal text" & cr after field "xyz"
>put "problem text" & cr after field "xyz"
>set the foreColor of line -1 of field "xyz" to "red"

Re: colors in scrolling text field

Ken Ray
On 8/23/05 4:58 PM, "Jon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your response is, as usual, excellent.  Except that, as I said, I did
> try putting HTML into a scrolling field, and all I got was the typical
> HTML garbage on the screen; the HTML commands were not interpreted
> correctly.  Do I have to put the HTML someplace special, or enable it
> somehow?

Jon, you don't put the HTML in the field, you "set the htmlText" of the
field to the HTML, as in:

  put "This is <b>bold</b>" into tHTML
  set the htmlText of fld 1 to tHTML

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

XMLRPC - can I go to sleep happy?

david bovill
Help?

Nothing on the net. Just not clear what is the host, the path and
what params to add....