csv parser

Chris Sheffield-2
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted to the list. I first have to say congratulations to the Rev team on the release of Rev 4.0. I've been using it for a couple days now, and it's looking great.

I was wondering if anyone out there has written a csv parsing library in Rev and would be willing to share it. I'm in need of something that will read/write values to a csv file. I'll create my own if I have to, but obviously it would save me a ton of time if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.

Re: csv parser

Alex Tweedly
Chris Sheffield wrote:
> Wow, it's been a while since I've posted to the list. I first have to say congratulations to the Rev team on the release of Rev 4.0. I've been using it for a couple days now, and it's looking great.
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there has written a csv parsing library in Rev and would be willing to share it. I'm in need of something that will read/write values to a csv file. I'll create my own if I have to, but obviously it would save me a ton of time if I don't have to.

Not exactly a library, but there was a fairly extensive thread back in
October 2004 about the perils of the various forms of csv file, and it
included a couple of handlers to read in csv files - I think there was a
very readable and straightforward one from Richard Gaskin, and later
there was a very efficient (but significantly more complex and obscure)
version from me, at

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-October/045495.html

If you have any control at all, I'd recommend TSV (i.e. TAB Separated
Values rather than Comma SVs).

-- alex.

Re: csv parser

Chris Sheffield-2
Great. Thanks, Alex. This will definitely come in handy. Point taken about using tabs vs. commas as the delimiter. That would be my preference too, but I'm not sure I have control in this case. We'll see.

Thanks again,
Chris

On Nov 13, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Chris Sheffield wrote:
>> Wow, it's been a while since I've posted to the list. I first have to say congratulations to the Rev team on the release of Rev 4.0. I've been using it for a couple days now, and it's looking great.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone out there has written a csv parsing library in Rev and would be willing to share it. I'm in need of something that will read/write values to a csv file. I'll create my own if I have to, but obviously it would save me a ton of time if I don't have to.
>>

> Not exactly a library, but there was a fairly extensive thread back in October 2004 about the perils of the various forms of csv file, and it included a couple of handlers to read in csv files - I think there was a very readable and straightforward one from Richard Gaskin, and later there was a very efficient (but significantly more complex and obscure) version from me, at
>
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-October/045495.html
>
> If you have any control at all, I'd recommend TSV (i.e. TAB Separated Values rather than Comma SVs).
>
> -- alex.

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.
www.readnaturally.com

Re: csv parser

Dom-2
Chris Sheffield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great. Thanks, Alex. This will definitely come in handy. Point taken about
> using tabs vs. commas as the delimiter. That would be my preference too,
> but I'm not sure I have control in this case. We'll see.

I must add that here in France -- and certainly in other european
contries, where the comma is used as a decimal separator -- the
so-called "csv" format use a _semicolon_ as a delimiter ;->