deploying to multiple mobile devices

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to deploy to
the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20 students  (1) preferably
cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the end-user, and (3) as simultaneously
as possible.

On Mac and for iOS, it seems the best (only?) choice is Jacqueline Landman
Gay's AirLaunch <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/airlaunch/index.html>,
specially since it does so from withing LC itself.

But for Android? and on Windows?

--
Nicolas Cueto
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
On 1/16/18 2:22 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode wrote:

> Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to deploy to
> the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20 students  (1) preferably
> cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the end-user, and (3) as simultaneously
> as possible.
>
> On Mac and for iOS, it seems the best (only?) choice is Jacqueline Landman
> Gay's AirLaunch <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/airlaunch/index.html>,
> specially since it does so from withing LC itself.
>
> But for Android? and on Windows?

Android apps can be downloaded from anywhere if the user has turned on
the option to download apps from "unknown sources", so all you need to
do is put the apk file on a server somewhere and give out the link. The
user goes to the link in a browser on their mobile device and when they
click it, the app will install. If their device prefs do not allow
installation from "unknown sousrces", they can turn the option on
temporarily in the Security section of the Android system settings.

On iOS, no distribution is possible until you have built the app with a
profile that contains the UUID for each user device. AirLaunch, or any
other third-party solution, will prepare the app for distribution but
iOS won't install it without the correct distribution profile. Apple
provides TestFlight which overcomes some of this limitation but I have
never used it so I'm not sure exactly how it works. Someone more
familiar with it would know more.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
Copying the apk to the server and sending the email is a manual operation
but could be added to AirLaunch?

Just to add to what JLM said. I ran into this problem last night after a
call from some testers. Installing on the device can now be a little
trickier if the Chrome browser is installed. The Chrome download manager no
longer lets you install an apk. When my users(testers) clicked on the apk on
the Chrome Downloads page the users are now receiving this message "Cant
Open File". That is why some users may need to use a file explorer app("OS
built in" or "ES file explorer" or "Astro") in order to install the app.

At first I thought it was the apk copy to the server or the web server was
at fault until I found out it was Chrome's new security protocol.
 
Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]


-----Original Message-----
From: use-livecode [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:30 PM
To: How to use LiveCode
Cc: J. Landman Gay
Subject: Re: deploying to multiple mobile devices

On 1/16/18 2:22 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode wrote:

> Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to
> deploy to the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20 students  
> (1) preferably cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the end-user, and
> (3) as simultaneously as possible.
>
> On Mac and for iOS, it seems the best (only?) choice is Jacqueline
> Landman Gay's AirLaunch
> <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/airlaunch/index.html>,
> specially since it does so from withing LC itself.
>
> But for Android? and on Windows?

Android apps can be downloaded from anywhere if the user has turned on the
option to download apps from "unknown sources", so all you need to do is put
the apk file on a server somewhere and give out the link. The user goes to
the link in a browser on their mobile device and when they click it, the app
will install. If their device prefs do not allow installation from "unknown
sousrces", they can turn the option on temporarily in the Security section
of the Android system settings.

On iOS, no distribution is possible until you have built the app with a
profile that contains the UUID for each user device. AirLaunch, or any other
third-party solution, will prepare the app for distribution but iOS won't
install it without the correct distribution profile. Apple provides
TestFlight which overcomes some of this limitation but I have never used it
so I'm not sure exactly how it works. Someone more familiar with it would
know more.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
In reply to this post by dunbarx via use-livecode
Nicolas Cueto wrote:

 > Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to
 > deploy to the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20 students
 >  (1) preferably cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the end-user, and
 > (3) as simultaneously as possible.

Is this a classroom you work with directly, or a product for others to
use in their own classrooms?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
> Is this a classroom you work with directly, or a product for others to
use in their own classrooms?

Directly.


On 17 January 2018 at 12:38, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nicolas Cueto wrote:
>
> > Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to
> > deploy to the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20 students
> >  (1) preferably cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the end-user, and
> > (3) as simultaneously as possible.
>
> Is this a classroom you work with directly, or a product for others to use
> in their own classrooms?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems
>  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
>  ____________________________________________________________________
>  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
Nicolas Cueto wrote:

 > On 17 January 2018 at 12:38, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Nicolas Cueto wrote:
 >> > Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to
 >> > deploy to the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20
 >> > students (1) preferably cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the
 >> > end-user, and (3) as simultaneously as possible.
 >>
 >> Is this a classroom you work with directly, or a product for others
 >> to use in their own classrooms?
 >
 > Directly.

I'm thinking don't even bother making standalones for every stack.  It
just complicates installation and replicates the storage overhead of
attaching the same engine to each one.

Instead, you could make one app that can download and run stack files
from a server.  Easy enough, and with just one extra step you can use
LC's built-in compression for even faster transfer.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: deploying to multiple mobile devices

dunbarx via use-livecode
I built one of those years ago, based on Ken Ray's stackrunner.rev.
Even datagrids can be accommodated.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nicolas Cueto wrote:
>
> > On 17 January 2018 at 12:38, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> >
> >> Nicolas Cueto wrote:
> >> > Some of my stacks are for a classroom situation, so would like to
> >> > deploy to the various smartphones of  class sizes of 3 to 20
> >> > students (1) preferably cable-free (Wifi?), (2) easily for the
> >> > end-user, and (3) as simultaneously as possible.
> >>
> >> Is this a classroom you work with directly, or a product for others
> >> to use in their own classrooms?
> >
> > Directly.
>
> I'm thinking don't even bother making standalones for every stack.  It
> just complicates installation and replicates the storage overhead of
> attaching the same engine to each one.
>
> Instead, you could make one app that can download and run stack files from
> a server.  Easy enough, and with just one extra step you can use LC's
> built-in compression for even faster transfer.
>
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems
>  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
>  ____________________________________________________________________
>  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode