develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Any Livecode freelancers we can hire to build a hybrid app?

We've got a simple web app but most of the functions it needs require
direct access to the phone.

lilspace.me

The idea is for event organizers to incentivize and organize attendees to
"focus" on the event by putting their phone away and not looking at it for
a while. We've had about 100 people use the web app to track their time
focusing. Sooner or later we'll need things like auto-reply, screen
dimming, activity tracking, silent mode, etc so we might as well get
started on that now.

Re: develop a hybrid app

pink
Access to phone functions is limited. On the iPhone is it extremely limited.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "activity tracking" and "auto-reply"?

Screen dimming and silent mode definitely cannot be triggered by an iPhone app, I am not sure about Android but I doubt it can be done in LiveCode without some sort of external being built. Your best bet would be to have reminders setup to say "please switch on silent mode"

What else do you want such an app to do?
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Is there a concise list of what Livecode can do on mobile devices?

Activity tracking - some kind of awerenesses that the user interacted with
their phone during focus time. Did they turn the screen on, did they spend
time out if the lilspace app, did they send/receive messages. The idea is
to trigger a "not really focusing" flag. Stuff like music and photos would
be fine, 10 minutes on Facebook wouldn't.

Auto-reply - prewritten messages that go out when you're focusing to
explain what you're doing and when you'll be done. Like "I'm at yoga. I'll
check my phone at 5".

On May 4, 2017 06:37, "pink via use-livecode" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Access to phone functions is limited. On the iPhone is it extremely limited.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "activity tracking" and
"auto-reply"?

Screen dimming and silent mode definitely cannot be triggered by an iPhone
app, I am not sure about Android but I doubt it can be done in LiveCode
without some sort of external being built. Your best bet would be to have
reminders setup to say "please switch on silent mode"

What else do you want such an app to do?

-----
---

Matt Maier wrote:

 > Is there a concise list of what Livecode can do on mobile devices?

I'm not sure, but filtering the Dictionary with "mobile" will reveal
language elements specific to those platforms.

 > Auto-reply - prewritten messages that go out when you're focusing to
 > explain what you're doing and when you'll be done. Like "I'm at yoga.
 > I'll check my phone at 5".

That would be handled on the server, no?

What are you using on the backend?

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt Maier wrote:
>
> > Is there a concise list of what Livecode can do on mobile devices?
>
> I'm not sure, but filtering the Dictionary with "mobile" will reveal
> language elements specific to those platforms.

Okay, so am I doing it right if I find "mobileIdleTimerLocked()" and
interpret it to mean that on both ios and android I can find out if the
user has interacted with the phone because mobileIdleTimerLocked will be
false. Or mobileComposeTextMessage will let us bring up a texting program
with a message, but the user would still have to send it.

I don't see much else.

> > Auto-reply - prewritten messages that go out when you're focusing to
> > explain what you're doing and when you'll be done. Like "I'm at yoga.
> > I'll check my phone at 5".
>
> That would be handled on the server, no?

Wouldn't we need something on the phone to know that a call or text is
coming in?

> What are you using on the backend?

Bubble.is. It's just a web app right now. The idea is to make it "hybrid"
enough to access phone activity like incoming messages and interaction.

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: develop a hybrid app

Matt Maier wrote:

 > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Matt Maier wrote:
 >> > Is there a concise list of what Livecode can do on mobile devices?
 >>
 >> I'm not sure, but filtering the Dictionary with "mobile" will reveal
 >> language elements specific to those platforms.
 >
 > Okay, so am I doing it right if I find "mobileIdleTimerLocked()" and
 > interpret it to mean that on both ios and android I can find out if
 > the user has interacted with the phone because mobileIdleTimerLocked
 > will be false. Or mobileComposeTextMessage will let us bring up a
 > texting program with a message, but the user would still have to send
 > it.
 >
 > I don't see much else.

...for that specific question.  For the original question of "what
LiveCode can do on mobile devices", when I filter the Dictionary with
"mobile" I see dozens of language tokens.

 >> > Auto-reply - prewritten messages that go out when you're focusing
 >> > to explain what you're doing and when you'll be done. Like "I'm at
 >> > yoga. I'll check my phone at 5".
 >>
 >> That would be handled on the server, no?
 >
 > Wouldn't we need something on the phone to know that a call or text is
 > coming in?

Ah, I see. As worded it wasn't clear what the app would be replying to.

I don't believe LC currently offers a built-in solution for altering how
incoming calls are handled, but if iOS provides an API for that you
could write a library for it with LC Builder.

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
What's a language token?

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt Maier wrote:

> >> I'm not sure, but filtering the Dictionary with "mobile" will reveal
> >> language elements specific to those platforms.
> >
> > Okay, so am I doing it right if I find "mobileIdleTimerLocked()" and
> > interpret it to mean that on both ios and android I can find out if
> > the user has interacted with the phone because mobileIdleTimerLocked
> > will be false. Or mobileComposeTextMessage will let us bring up a
> > texting program with a message, but the user would still have to send
> > it.
> >
> > I don't see much else.
>
> ...for that specific question.  For the original question of "what
> LiveCode can do on mobile devices", when I filter the Dictionary with
> "mobile" I see dozens of language tokens.

> >> That would be handled on the server, no?
> >
> > Wouldn't we need something on the phone to know that a call or text is
> > coming in?
>
> Ah, I see. As worded it wasn't clear what the app would be replying to.
>
> I don't believe LC currently offers a built-in solution for altering how
> incoming calls are handled, but if iOS provides an API for that you could
> write a library for it with LC Builder.
>

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: develop a hybrid app

Matt Maier wrote:

 > What's a language token?

It's just a generic term for the superset of all language elements that
include messages, functions, operators, control structures, etc.

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
The short answer is "nope".
• If you have a smart watch, you know that the apps run on the watch, not
on the phone, so even if you get the phone, the watch still wins.
• There is a reason why Nissan is proposing adding Faraday cages to the
center console of the Juke (
https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+faraday+cage&oq=nissan+faraday+cage&aqs=chrome..69i57.3488j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)
- because your ability to conrol someone's phone, or see what they are
doing when your app is not in the foreground, is extremely limited,
especially on ios.
• Similarly, "Cinemode" does not work in Cinemark's app on ios (
https://www.google.com/search?q=cinemode&oq=cinemode&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1737j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)
even though it's a great idea.
• That has nothing to do with LC, it's an Apple thing.  Apple is also very
picky about what you can and cannot do when the phone is asleep and when
your app is not in the foreground.  AFA screen dimming, activity tracking,
muting, etc. you can't get there from here on ios.
• You also can't hope to keep your app in the foreground, keep it active
while the phone sleeps, and keep the app pinging your server from ios to
tell the server that the user's phone is not doing anything
• You will note that there are plenty of parental control apps for Android
that allow parents to kill devices between hours x and y.  On ios, there
are no such apps.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Matt Maier via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's a language token?
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Matt Maier wrote:

> > > Okay, so am I doing it right if I find "mobileIdleTimerLocked()" and
> > > interpret it to mean that on both ios and android I can find out if
> > > the user has interacted with the phone because mobileIdleTimerLocked
> > > will be false. Or mobileComposeTextMessage will let us bring up a
> > > texting program with a message, but the user would still have to send
> > > it.
> > >
> > > I don't see much else.
> >
> > ...for that specific question.  For the original question of "what
> > LiveCode can do on mobile devices", when I filter the Dictionary with
> > "mobile" I see dozens of language tokens.

> > > Wouldn't we need something on the phone to know that a call or text is
> > > coming in?
> >
> > Ah, I see. As worded it wasn't clear what the app would be replying to.
> >
> > I don't believe LC currently offers a built-in solution for altering how
> > incoming calls are handled, but if iOS provides an API for that you could
> > write a library for it with LC Builder.
> >

> > --
> >  Richard Gaskin
> >  Fourth World Systems
> >  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: develop a hybrid app

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > • There is a reason why Nissan is proposing adding Faraday cages to
 > the center console of the Juke (

https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+faraday+cage&oq=nissan+faraday+cage&aqs=chrome..69i57.3488j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)
 > - because your ability to conrol someone's phone, or see what they are
 > doing when your app is not in the foreground, is extremely limited,
 > especially on ios.
 > • Similarly, "Cinemode" does not work in Cinemark's app on ios (

https://www.google.com/search?q=cinemode&oq=cinemode&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1737j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)
 > even though it's a great idea.
 > • That has nothing to do with LC, it's an Apple thing.  Apple is also
 > very picky about what you can and cannot do when the phone is asleep
 > and when your app is not in the foreground.

How do call blockers apps work?

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Oh, yes, and as usual, any incorrect statements I made in said post are
simply evidence that my account has been Sims'd, not that I don't know what
I'm talking about.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The short answer is "nope".
> • If you have a smart watch, you know that the apps run on the watch, not
> on the phone, so even if you get the phone, the watch still wins.
> • There is a reason why Nissan is proposing adding Faraday cages to the
> center console of the Juke (https://www.google.com/
> search?q=nissan+faraday+cage&oq=nissan+faraday+cage&aqs=
> chrome..69i57.3488j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) - because your ability
> to conrol someone's phone, or see what they are doing when your app is not
> in the foreground, is extremely limited, especially on ios.
> • Similarly, "Cinemode" does not work in Cinemark's app on ios (
> https://www.google.com/search?q=cinemode&oq=cinemode&
> aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1737j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) even though it's
> a great idea.
> • That has nothing to do with LC, it's an Apple thing.  Apple is also very
> picky about what you can and cannot do when the phone is asleep and when
> your app is not in the foreground.  AFA screen dimming, activity tracking,
> muting, etc. you can't get there from here on ios.
> • You also can't hope to keep your app in the foreground, keep it active
> while the phone sleeps, and keep the app pinging your server from ios to
> tell the server that the user's phone is not doing anything
> • You will note that there are plenty of parental control apps for Android
> that allow parents to kill devices between hours x and y.  On ios, there
> are no such apps.
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Matt Maier via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What's a language token?
>>
>> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> > ...for that specific question.  For the original question of "what
>> > LiveCode can do on mobile devices", when I filter the Dictionary with
>> > "mobile" I see dozens of language tokens.

>> > Ah, I see. As worded it wasn't clear what the app would be replying to.
>> >
>> > I don't believe LC currently offers a built-in solution for altering how
>> > incoming calls are handled, but if iOS provides an API for that you
>> could
>> > write a library for it with LC Builder.
>> >

>> > --
>> >  Richard Gaskin
>> >  Fourth World Systems
>> >  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
You can't block outbound calls on ios, only inbound, and only based on
caller id

Re: develop a hybrid app

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Matt,

Apple has made it extremely difficult to do anything which
accesses other apps or functions outside of your own app.
Everything is “sandboxed” to make sure that your app doesn’t
interfere with anyone else’s app or other Apple apps.

Apple has made sure that one can’t make a better
iTunes app very easily at all.  Go ahead and try if you
like, you will discover it to be quite difficult.  Apple doesn’t
want anyone competing with them for such things.

So, yes trying to monitor what’s going on with
someone’s activities on the iPhone is pretty
difficult.  Most activity trackers do things like
check the time and send a notification that
one has not gone for a walk recently.  They
might also check the accelerometer to see
if the iPhone has moved recently, but that
app has to be running in the foreground for
that to work.

Tracker apps can use a lot of power too
because they are checking things constantly
and that can affect the daily battery time.

Good luck!

Rick