digital signage / ticker tape

rjd318
Hi all -- I've taken interest in using Livecode for displaying ticker tape
or digital signage type information. There were a few older forum posts on
this topic a few years ago but haven't seen any recent activity in that
area. Does anyone have a general direction or sample stacks I can start off
with? I have purchased Animation Engine and thought that may be the way to
go but I am only at the beginning of this project so any input would be
welcome. Thanks!

Re: digital signage / ticker tape

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Jose,

Yesterday, April 17 2014, Richard Gaskin posted this link
in another thread:

http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=19248

"The Raspberry Pi is helping young people all over the world understand
that computing isn't some rarefied special thing other people make and
we merely use, but instead computing is cheap, ubiquitous, and something
we all can make.  The 21st century isn't about users, it belongs to makers.

In that thread Hermann has been posting a series of stacks designed
specifically to run on the Pi build of LiveCode.  Beautiful work,
thoughtfully crafted."

About Raspberry Pi and digital signage:
http://www.sixteen-nine.net/2013/12/13/10-slices-raspberry-pi-digital-signage/

Have a nice weekend!

Al

Re: digital signage / ticker tape

J. Landman Gay
On 4/18/14, 12:18 PM, Jose Damaso wrote:
> Hi all -- I've taken interest in using Livecode for displaying ticker tape
> or digital signage type information. There were a few older forum posts on
> this topic a few years ago but haven't seen any recent activity in that
> area. Does anyone have a general direction or sample stacks I can start off
> with? I have purchased Animation Engine and thought that may be the way to
> go but I am only at the beginning of this project so any input would be
> welcome. Thanks!

There are two basic ways to do this:

1. Put the text into a field and move the field. The "move" command
should do this efficiently, or you can use animation engine. When the
right edge of the field goes off the left edge of the stack, reposition
it with its left edge at the right side of the stack and move it again.
This produces a smooth glide.

2. Put the text into a field with enough leading spaces to visually push
the actual text off the right edge of the field. Adjust the text
repeatedly by removing the leading character and placing it at the end
of the field text. This method produces an effect more like a stock
ticker, where the text jumps from one position to the next (the way LED
lights would work.)

Both are pretty easy to script. In either case, you'll need a field with
at least locktext and dontwrap set to true.

Re: digital signage / ticker tape

Alejandro Tejada
J. Landman Gay wrote
There are two basic ways to do this:

1. Put the text into a field and move the field. The "move" command
should do this efficiently, or you can use animation engine. When the
right edge of the field goes off the left edge of the stack, reposition
it with its left edge at the right side of the stack and move it again.
This produces a smooth glide.

2. Put the text into a field with enough leading spaces to visually push
the actual text off the right edge of the field. Adjust the text
repeatedly by removing the leading character and placing it at the end
of the field text. This method produces an effect more like a stock
ticker, where the text jumps from one position to the next (the way LED
lights would work.)

Both are pretty easy to script. In either case, you'll need a field with
at least locktext and dontwrap set to true.
This tutorial published by Faber could be helpful too:
http://livecodela.com/2014/01/04/fondos-animados-para-sus-juegos/

Al

Re: digital signage / ticker tape

BNig