discrepancy between official device metric and LC stack size

discrepancy between official device metric and LC stack size

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I test my mobile stacks on a Nexus 5, and, in portrait orientation, many
bottom pixels are offscreen, even though for width and height I follow
exactly the numbers given in dp at the website Device Metrics
<https://material.io/devices/> .

Why is it cut off? And how can I avoid this? Is there an LC keyword, like
"effective" or "working", that I should be including.... if so, how?

Thanks.

--
Nicolas Cueto

RE: discrepancy between official device metric and LC stack size

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Nicolas,

Does that device have "old hardware keys" soft buttons on the bottom? On
some devices this is shown if the manifest does not include some key that
says your app no longer needs the "old hardware keys". Android has been
phasing the hardware keys out. Setting this key in the manifests not an
option on the Android standalone setting. Looking at my code I see I use
"the rect of this card" to account for the soft keys but not the keyboard.
To account for the keyboard and soft "old hardware keys":

put 0 into tLeft

put 0 into tTop

put item 3 of the effective working screenrect - item 1 of the effective
working screenrect into tRight

put item 4 of the effective working screenrect - item 2 of the effective
working screenrect into tBottom

This has been working for me on both iOS and Android.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

On 1/31/18 5:23 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode wrote:
> I test my mobile stacks on a Nexus 5, and, in portrait orientation, many
> bottom pixels are offscreen, even though for width and height I follow
> exactly the numbers given in dp at the website Device Metrics
> <https://material.io/devices/> .
>
> Why is it cut off? And how can I avoid this? Is there an LC keyword, like
> "effective" or "working", that I should be including.... if so, how?

Probably the area occupied by the status bar is pushing the stack down.
Get "the working screenrect" to find out the actual screen dimensions
your stack can use.

Since every Android device is different, it's usually easier to set the
fullscreenMode to "showAll" and let the LC engine adjust the size.

Re: discrepancy between official device metric and LC stack size

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
​Ok. Took Jacque's advice​, and my stack's working screenRect is
0,24,360,592.

Now I'm unsure whether my stack's size is 360 x 592, or (width = item 3 -
item) x (height = item 4 -item 2).

Thanks.

--
Nicolas Cueto

On 2 February 2018 at 17:53, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/31/18 5:23 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> I test my mobile stacks on a Nexus 5, and, in portrait orientation, many
>> bottom pixels are offscreen, even though for width and height I follow
>> exactly the numbers given in dp at the website Device Metrics
>> <https://material.io/devices/> .
>>
>> Why is it cut off? And how can I avoid this? Is there an LC keyword, like
>> "effective" or "working", that I should be including.... if so, how?
>>

> Probably the area occupied by the status bar is pushing the stack down.
> Get "the working screenrect" to find out the actual screen dimensions your
> stack can use.
>
> Since every Android device is different, it's usually easier to set the
> fullscreenMode to "showAll" and let the LC engine adjust the size.

Re: discrepancy between official device metric and LC stack size

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
As my school Maths teacher said, many years ago: "You go into the house
before going up the stairs."

Although, to be fair, LiveCode is a bit warped insofar as you "go into
the house, and then down into the cellar."

Best, Richmond.