embed/install font

Brad Borch
I'm creating a presentation and I need to be sure the user has access to
a Unicode font. I'd like to standardize on Bitstream's Vera font, which
is free and very good.

1) Is there any way to access the font dynamically without installing it
on the user's system? A while ago there was a thread "Own fontsuite with
standalone?" Several authors referenced the EXT.dll as a way to
dynamically access fonts on the PC. How is this done? Has anyone
successfully employed this technique?

2) If I can't access it dynamically, how do I install it? I purchased
InstallGadget, but that currently doesn't update the Windows registry
upon installation.

Any ideas on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

Problem with Editable Fields

David Burgun
Hi,

I have the a number of fields in a card that have to be range
checked, to do this i have the following code:

on openField
set the cpSaveTextOfMe to the text of me
end openField

on closeField
if (the text of me < 0) or (the text of me > 999) then
   set the text of me to the cpSaveTextOfMe of me
   select the text of me
   beep
end closeField

There is also a "Done" Button that has this script:

on mouseUp
save this stack
close this stack
end mouseUp

If I enter an invalid number and then click in another field, I get
beep and the contents of the field are restored and all is well.
However, if I enter an invalid number and then click the "Done"
button, it looks like the "mouseUp" handler is run BEFORE the
"closeField" handler. Since the value stored in the stack is the
invalid data. Is this the correct action? If so, what is the best way
to make this work so that bad values are not saved in the stack. I
really don't want to have to validate all fields from the "Done" and
other buttons on the card.

Thanks in Advance
Dave

Re: embed/install font

Stephen Barncard
I remember the days long ago in Hypercard where you could install a
font as a resource in a stack, and it 'just worked', even though we
were warned not to for some reason.
sqb

>I'm creating a presentation and I need to be sure the user has
>access to a Unicode font. I'd like to standardize on Bitstream's
>Vera font, which is free and very good.
>
>1) Is there any way to access the font dynamically without
>installing it on the user's system? A while ago there was a thread
>"Own fontsuite with standalone?" Several authors referenced the
>EXT.dll as a way to dynamically access fonts on the PC. How is this
>done? Has anyone successfully employed this technique?
>
>2) If I can't access it dynamically, how do I install it? I
>purchased InstallGadget, but that currently doesn't update the
>Windows registry upon installation.
>
>Any ideas on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Brad

Re: Problem with Editable Fields

Eric Chatonet
Hi Dave,

May be another approach, more ergonomic, could help you:
Just allow numbers to be typed into your field with a generic handler
like the following:

on keyDown pKey
   if pKey is an integer and the number of chars of target < 3 then
pass keyDown
end keyDown

It's only to get you started: you will find you have probably to
build a rawKeyDown handler to be more precise and manage the current
selection (if the user selects a portion and wants to type in).

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 18 juil. 05 à 17:32, David Burgun a écrit :

> I have the a number of fields in a card that have to be range
> checked, to do this i have the following code:
>
> on openField
> set the cpSaveTextOfMe to the text of me
> end openField
>
> on closeField
> if (the text of me < 0) or (the text of me > 999) then
>   set the text of me to the cpSaveTextOfMe of me
>   select the text of me
>   beep
> end closeField
>

> There is also a "Done" Button that has this script:
>
> on mouseUp
> save this stack
> close this stack
> end mouseUp
>
> If I enter an invalid number and then click in another field, I get
> beep and the contents of the field are restored and all is well.
> However, if I enter an invalid number and then click the "Done"
> button, it looks like the "mouseUp" handler is run BEFORE the
> "closeField" handler. Since the value stored in the stack is the
> invalid data. Is this the correct action? If so, what is the best
> way to make this work so that bad values are not saved in the
> stack. I really don't want to have to validate all fields from the
> "Done" and other buttons on the card.

So Smart Software

Re: embed/install font

Mark Talluto

On Jul 18, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Brad Borch wrote:

> I'm creating a presentation and I need to be sure the user has
> access to a Unicode font. I'd like to standardize on Bitstream's
> Vera font, which is free and very good.
>
> 1) Is there any way to access the font dynamically without
> installing it on the user's system? A while ago there was a thread
> "Own fontsuite with standalone?" Several authors referenced the
> EXT.dll as a way to dynamically access fonts on the PC. How is this
> done? Has anyone successfully employed this technique?
>
> 2) If I can't access it dynamically, how do I install it? I
> purchased InstallGadget, but that currently doesn't update the
> Windows registry upon installation.
>
> Any ideas on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Brad,

This is how I solve the problem:  <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/
use-revolution/2004-April/036224.html>

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

RE: Problem with Editable Fields

Lynch, Jonathan
You can also try this in the "done" button:

On MouseUp
  Send DoThisScript to me in 0 seconds
End MouseUp

Then put the original mouseup script into a DoThisScript handler in the button. This will ensure that the script runs after other handlers.

However, it seems odd that mouseup would be occuring before closefield. Is it possible that your "done" button is non-focusing? This would mean that when you press the button, the focus never leaves the field you were in, thus not sending a closefield message. If this is the case, you need to make sure your button is focusable.

May be another approach, more ergonomic, could help you:
Just allow numbers to be typed into your field with a generic handler
like the following:

on keyDown pKey
   if pKey is an integer and the number of chars of target < 3 then
pass keyDown
end keyDown

It's only to get you started: you will find you have probably to
build a rawKeyDown handler to be more precise and manage the current
selection (if the user selects a portion and wants to type in).

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 18 juil. 05 à 17:32, David Burgun a écrit :

> I have the a number of fields in a card that have to be range
> checked, to do this i have the following code:
>
> on openField
> set the cpSaveTextOfMe to the text of me
> end openField
>
> on closeField
> if (the text of me < 0) or (the text of me > 999) then
>   set the text of me to the cpSaveTextOfMe of me
>   select the text of me
>   beep
> end closeField
>

> There is also a "Done" Button that has this script:
>
> on mouseUp
> save this stack
> close this stack
> end mouseUp
>
> If I enter an invalid number and then click in another field, I get
> beep and the contents of the field are restored and all is well.
> However, if I enter an invalid number and then click the "Done"
> button, it looks like the "mouseUp" handler is run BEFORE the
> "closeField" handler. Since the value stored in the stack is the
> invalid data. Is this the correct action? If so, what is the best
> way to make this work so that bad values are not saved in the
> stack. I really don't want to have to validate all fields from the
> "Done" and other buttons on the card.

So Smart Software

Re: embed/install font

Brad Borch
Mark,

>  I put the installer created by IC into a custom
> property in my rev app.  My rev app spits out the installer

Thanks for the pointer. I've done a fair bit of work in Director, Flash,
etc. A long time ago I did Hypercard work. I'm sure with a little bit of
guidance I'll get "custom properties," but if you could just point me to
a brief explanation of how this works and how to "suck up" and "spit
out" (as I've heard the process referred to in some posts) something
like another file or executable, I'd appreciate it.

Brad

--

Mark Talluto wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Brad Borch wrote:
>
>> I'm creating a presentation and I need to be sure the user has  access
>> to a Unicode font. I'd like to standardize on Bitstream's  Vera font,
>> which is free and very good.
>>
>> 1) Is there any way to access the font dynamically without  installing
>> it on the user's system? A while ago there was a thread  "Own
>> fontsuite with standalone?" Several authors referenced the  EXT.dll as
>> a way to dynamically access fonts on the PC. How is this  done? Has
>> anyone successfully employed this technique?
>>
>> 2) If I can't access it dynamically, how do I install it? I  purchased
>> InstallGadget, but that currently doesn't update the  Windows registry
>> upon installation.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Brad,
>
> This is how I solve the problem:  <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/
> use-revolution/2004-April/036224.html>
>

> Mark Talluto

Re: embed/install font

Dan Shafer
Brad.....

There are lots of resources. The docs are actually pretty good on
this point.

I wrote an eBook on the subject (it's for sale at the Rev online
store as Chapter 21 for, I think, $5).

I also gave a free online conference on the subject a while back. You
can download the stack with examples and the chat log from the Rev
site for nothing.

On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Brad Borch wrote:

> Mark,
>

>>  I put the installer created by IC into a custom property in my
>> rev app.  My rev app spits out the installer
>>

> Thanks for the pointer. I've done a fair bit of work in Director,
> Flash, etc. A long time ago I did Hypercard work. I'm sure with a
> little bit of guidance I'll get "custom properties," but if you
> could just point me to a brief explanation of how this works and
> how to "suck up" and "spit out" (as I've heard the process referred
> to in some posts) something like another file or executable, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Brad

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.revolutionpros.com, Click "My Stuff"

Re: embed/install font

J. Landman Gay
On 7/18/05 10:39 AM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> I remember the days long ago in Hypercard where you could install a font
> as a resource in a stack, and it 'just worked', even though we were
> warned not to for some reason.

The reason was a complete and comprehensive system crash if a print job
was in the queue and the user closed the stack. Not recommended. If you
never printed from the stack, it was okay. I don't think OS X even
allows embedded fonts any more (anyone know?)

Re: embed/install font

Mark Talluto

On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Brad Borch wrote:

> Mark,
>

>>  I put the installer created by IC into a custom property in my
>> rev app.  My rev app spits out the installer
>>

> Thanks for the pointer. I've done a fair bit of work in Director,
> Flash, etc. A long time ago I did Hypercard work. I'm sure with a
> little bit of guidance I'll get "custom properties," but if you
> could just point me to a brief explanation of how this works and
> how to "suck up" and "spit out" (as I've heard the process referred
> to in some posts) something like another file or executable, I'd
> appreciate it.

Brad,

There is a file called CS Fonts Installer on RevNet.  You can find
RevNet in the plugins for Revolution.  It will get you started.  The
thing to remember is:

1.  Mac fonts can be written to the fonts folder of the OS without
using a third party installer.  Thus, they are super easy to work with.
2.  Win fonts need to be installed by a third party installer like
the one I use from www.clickteam.com
The reason is that the installer will setup the registry
appropriately for you.  This can also be done from within Rev, but I
have not spent the time to work it out.  Thus, I "suck up" the
installer created by the clickteam product and place that into a
custom property.  I then write that custom property back out to the
user's hard drive, run the installer, and delete the installer when
done all from Rev.  Works very well.  The file I have on RevNet is a
bit old, but easier to read than the version I am currently using.
If you want the newer version, just let me know.  It deals with all
sorts of things besides fonts, but is not as use friendly at first.

Keep writing back if you have any questions.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

RE: Problem with Editable Fields

David Burgun

Tried what you suggested, the invalid values still gets saved. I know
the closeField gets called because I hear the beep. I put a
breakpoint on both all three handler, mouseUp, NewMouseUp and
closeField and when the done key is pressed it enters the mouseUp
handler BEFORE closeField, so the old value gets saved. It pot luck
if the closeField function gets called at all in the case, I am guess
that it depends on timing, if the script gets run before the close
stack command is issued.

This really is silly, what I want to do is so straight forward, I
just cannot understand why it is so difficult in RunRev? Am I missing
something or is it impossible to range check a field without jumping
thru hoops?

Thanks a lot
Dave

>You can also try this in the "done" button:
>
>On MouseUp
>   Send DoThisScript to me in 0 seconds
>End MouseUp
>
>Then put the original mouseup script into a DoThisScript handler in
>the button. This will ensure that the script runs after other
>handlers.
>
>However, it seems odd that mouseup would be occuring before
>closefield. Is it possible that your "done" button is non-focusing?
>This would mean that when you press the button, the focus never
>leaves the field you were in, thus not sending a closefield message.
>If this is the case, you need to make sure your button is focusable.

Feel free to send your stack to me, and I will check it out and see if I see anything obvious.

[hidden email]

Tried what you suggested, the invalid values still gets saved. I know
the closeField gets called because I hear the beep. I put a
breakpoint on both all three handler, mouseUp, NewMouseUp and
closeField and when the done key is pressed it enters the mouseUp
handler BEFORE closeField, so the old value gets saved. It pot luck
if the closeField function gets called at all in the case, I am guess
that it depends on timing, if the script gets run before the close
stack command is issued.

This really is silly, what I want to do is so straight forward, I
just cannot understand why it is so difficult in RunRev? Am I missing
something or is it impossible to range check a field without jumping
thru hoops?

Thanks a lot
Dave

>You can also try this in the "done" button:
>
>On MouseUp
>   Send DoThisScript to me in 0 seconds
>End MouseUp
>
>Then put the original mouseup script into a DoThisScript handler in
>the button. This will ensure that the script runs after other
>handlers.
>
>However, it seems odd that mouseup would be occuring before
>closefield. Is it possible that your "done" button is non-focusing?
>This would mean that when you press the button, the focus never
>leaves the field you were in, thus not sending a closefield message.
>If this is the case, you need to make sure your button is focusable.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto
At 1:11 PM -0400 7/18/2005, Brad Borch wrote:
>Thanks for the pointer. I've done a fair bit of work in Director,
>Flash, etc. A long time ago I did Hypercard work. I'm sure with a
>little bit of guidance I'll get "custom properties," but if you
>could just point me to a brief explanation of how this works and how
>to "suck up" and "spit out" (as I've heard the process referred to
>in some posts) something like another file or executable, I'd
>appreciate it.

How to store a file in a custom property:

You can use a URL to store a file in a custom property:

   set the myStoredFile of stack "My Stack" \
      to URL "binfile:mypicture.jpg"

You restore the file by putting the custom property's value into a URL:

   put the myStoredFile of stack "My Stack" \
      into URL "binfile:mypicture.jpg"

   Tip:  To save space, compress the file before storing it:

   set the myStoredFile of stack "My Stack" \
      to compress(URL "binfile:mypicture.jpg")
--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [hidden email]
http://www.jaedworks.com

Re: embed/install font

Bob Earp
I need this BIG time, and it mnay be a show stopper form me moving a whole
mess of customers form ToolBook (where this isa breeze to do) to Rev.  At
RevConWest Andre Garcia said that he thought he had a way of doing this by
using a custom property to store the font, but I haven't heard from him
since then.

Bob Earp - White Rock, BC.
I remember the days long ago in Hypercard where you could install a
font as a resource in a stack, and it 'just worked', even though we
were warned not to for some reason.
sqb

>I'm creating a presentation and I need to be sure the user has access to a
>Unicode font. I'd like to standardize on Bitstream's Vera font, which is
>free and very good.
>
>1) Is there any way to access the font dynamically without installing it on
>the user's system? A while ago there was a thread "Own fontsuite with
>standalone?" Several authors referenced the EXT.dll as a way to dynamically
>access fonts on the PC. How is this done? Has anyone successfully employed
>this technique?
>
>2) If I can't access it dynamically, how do I install it? I purchased
>InstallGadget, but that currently doesn't update the Windows registry upon
>installation.
>
>Any ideas on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Brad

Re: embed/install font

Chipp Walters
Bob,

Here's how I would probably go about this on XP..

1) Research what registry entries are changed in Windows when installing
a TrueType font

2) Suck up the font into your app:
set the uMyCustomFont of this stack to URL ("binfile:C:/myfont.ttf")

3) On startup spit it back out:
   a) find the specialFolder(36) which gives you the current Windows
directory and append it with /Fonts:

put specialFolder(36) & "/Fonts/" into tFontPath

check to see if your font exists

put "myfont.ttf" after tFontPath
if there is not a file tFontPath then
   put the uMyCustomFont of this stack into URL ("binfile:" & tFontPath)
   --> SET REGISTRY STUFF IF NECESSARY
end if

then check to see if you need a restart, or you can just start using the
font.

As mentioned, I believe there's a DLL somewhere which may make this
easier, but I don't know where.

-Chipp

Bob Earp wrote:
> I need this BIG time, and it mnay be a show stopper form me moving a
> whole mess of customers form ToolBook (where this isa breeze to do) to
> Rev.  At RevConWest Andre Garcia said that he thought he had a way of
> doing this by using a custom property to store the font, but I haven't
> heard from him since then.
>
> Bob Earp - White Rock, BC.

RE: Problem with Editable Fields

Jan Schenkel
--- David Burgun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tried what you suggested, the invalid values still
> gets saved. I know
> the closeField gets called because I hear the beep.
> I put a
> breakpoint on both all three handler, mouseUp,
> NewMouseUp and
> closeField and when the done key is pressed it
> enters the mouseUp
> handler BEFORE closeField, so the old value gets
> saved. It pot luck
> if the closeField function gets called at all in the
> case, I am guess
> that it depends on timing, if the script gets run
> before the close
> stack command is issued.
>
> This really is silly, what I want to do is so
> straight forward, I
> just cannot understand why it is so difficult in
> RunRev? Am I missing
> something or is it impossible to range check a field
> without jumping
> thru hoops?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Try putting this at the front of your mouseUp handler
in the button script:
--
  select empty
--

All this is due to the fact that on Mac, unlike on
Windows and Unix, buttons cannot receive the keyboard

Annoying, perhaps, but that's the way the cookie
crumbles...

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)

Re: embed/install font

Bob Earp
Thanks Chip, I'll see if I can get this going however, I can't get some of
the customers to agree to loading anything at all on their machines, yeah,
go figure !!

I know I sound like a worn out record, but I really don't have a good answer
when they say to me "but we didn't have to do this with your ToolBook
projects"....

Thanks again, Bob...
[...]

Richard Gaskin
Bob Earp wrote:
> I know I sound like a worn out record, but I really don't have a good
> answer when they say to me "but we didn't have to do this with your
> ToolBook projects"....

So it goes when a product is made by a co-founder of an OS vendor who
doesn't publish all of their APIs. ;)

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: embed/install font

Chipp Walters
Hi Bob,

Y'know I'm pretty sure there's a way to install fonts w/out putting them
in the fonts folder. I know Adboe does it this way, and I've seen
utilities that do the same...perhaps it a function of the registry.

In anycase, I suppose you could always 'install and deinstall' a font at
the beginning and end of your program execution. That way your users
would never know about it.

best,

Chipp

Bob Earp wrote:
> Thanks Chip, I'll see if I can get this going however, I can't get some
> of the customers to agree to loading anything at all on their machines,
> yeah, go figure !!
>
> I know I sound like a worn out record, but I really don't have a good
> answer when they say to me "but we didn't have to do this with your
> ToolBook projects"....

Re: embed/install font

Brad Borch
Thanks for all the help. Let's see if I understand this process:

Mac:
1. "Load" the font files as binaries into custom properties, probably
properties of a stack, like so:

set the myStoredFont of stack "My Stack" to URL "binfile:VeraMono.ttf"

2. At runtime, check if the fonts are installed on the target machine.
If the are not, "unload" the custom properties by writing out to the
user's font directory, effectively installing the fonts, like so:

put the myStoredFile of stack "My Stack" into URL
binfile:~/Library/Fonts/VeraMono.ttf"

3. The application then needs to be re-launched.

Windows:

1. Using a third-party installer tool, create an installer that stores
the font files in itself.

2. "Load" the installer as a binary into a custom property, probably a
property of a stack, like so:

set the myStoredInstaller of stack "My Stack" to URL
"binfile:myInstaller.exe"

3. "Unload" that custom property back out to the user's hard drive like so:

put the myStoredInstaller of stack "My Stack" into URL
binfile:/temp/myInstaller.exe"

4. Run the installer. The installer has the ability to locate the
appropriate folder for fonts based on which Win flavor, and update the
registry to point to the new fonts.

5. Delete the installer when done. The app doesn't need to be
re-launched because the registry has been updated?

Is this right? Also, if I'm distributing on CD, what would be the
benefit of "sucking up" the files as custom properties?