generating a standalone in v9.x

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I am having an issue with using "any" business version of 9 (9.04, 9.05, 9.5-32bit, 9.5-64bit) to generate a standalone output of my application.  I am using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and have tried building the identical script (with the same result) on two different installations of said OS on two different machines.

LC business v 8.1.10 generates the standalone fine.

LC business version 9.0.5 (with IDENTICAL settings in the "Standalone Application Settings" as used in the v8.1.10 build) seems to crash LC  just at the point of "closing open stacks" at which point all things LC disappear from my desktop.  An appropriate "destination" directory for the standalone is created as per the settings but it is completely empty.

The actual application runs fine in all LC business versions... it's just that I can't get the LC v9.x to generated the standalone... and ... I can't find ANY error or log explaining what is wrong!!

Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".

I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for other than potential issues with the standalone builder.

I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.

Cheers!
Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

Re: generating a standalone in v9.x

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
There is a breaking change in 9 where lock messages is no longer issued when closing and opening the stacks as a part of the build process.  There is some suggested code around.  It revolves around testing for being in the build process for the  (pre)openXxx messages.  That May be the issue you are running into.

Thanks,
Brian
On Oct 31, 2019, 5:51 PM -0400, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I am having an issue with using "any" business version of 9 (9.04, 9.05, 9.5-32bit, 9.5-64bit) to generate a standalone output of my application. I am using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and have tried building the identical script (with the same result) on two different installations of said OS on two different machines.
>
> LC business v 8.1.10 generates the standalone fine.
>
> LC business version 9.0.5 (with IDENTICAL settings in the "Standalone Application Settings" as used in the v8.1.10 build) seems to crash LC just at the point of "closing open stacks" at which point all things LC disappear from my desktop. An appropriate "destination" directory for the standalone is created as per the settings but it is completely empty.
>
> The actual application runs fine in all LC business versions... it's just that I can't get the LC v9.x to generated the standalone... and ... I can't find ANY error or log explaining what is wrong!!
>
> Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue is that it cannot resolve? I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".
>
> I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat this site contains. I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for other than potential issues with the standalone builder.
>
> I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.
>
> Cheers!
> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935

Re: generating a standalone in v9.x

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
There is a set of commands that in certain scripts like opesStack and closeStack that will check to see if the standalone builder is running, and then you can abort the handler.

The reason they do this is because your app could be doing anything at the moment the standalone is being built. The standalone has to walk through every script to check what add-ons or libraries you use so it can include them.

Here's what I do. In the stackScript of the mainStack:

on savingStandalone
   put true into gBuildingStandAlone
end savingStandalone

on standaloneSaved
   put false into gBuildingStandAlone
end standaloneSaved

Then in any openStack handler, either in the stack or card, I put this:

   put the environment is "development" and \
         there is a stack "revStandaloneProgress" and \
         the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 into skipLogin

   if not skipLogin then
   --- code that borks your standalone building. For me it was calling a login dialog as modal.

> On Oct 31, 2019, at 14:50 , Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am having an issue with using "any" business version of 9 (9.04, 9.05, 9.5-32bit, 9.5-64bit) to generate a standalone output of my application.  I am using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and have tried building the identical script (with the same result) on two different installations of said OS on two different machines.
>
> LC business v 8.1.10 generates the standalone fine.
>
> LC business version 9.0.5 (with IDENTICAL settings in the "Standalone Application Settings" as used in the v8.1.10 build) seems to crash LC  just at the point of "closing open stacks" at which point all things LC disappear from my desktop.  An appropriate "destination" directory for the standalone is created as per the settings but it is completely empty.
>
> The actual application runs fine in all LC business versions... it's just that I can't get the LC v9.x to generated the standalone... and ... I can't find ANY error or log explaining what is wrong!!
>
> Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".
>
> I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for other than potential issues with the standalone builder.
>
> I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.
>
> Cheers!
> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935

Re: generating a standalone in v9.x

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Whoops! I forgot one important thing:

global gBuildingStandalone

Bob S

> On Oct 31, 2019, at 15:12 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here's what I do. In the stackScript of the mainStack:
>
> on savingStandalone
>   put true into gBuildingStandAlone
> end savingStandalone

Re: generating a standalone in v9.x

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode

Thanks Bob and Heather and also a thanks to Giovanni Cannizzaro.

Giovanni had the minimal fix to just remove a "quit" from any "shutDownRequest".

Heather from LC also offered the following code in a related situation to Giovanni's:
        on closeStack
                if the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 then
                        exit closeStack
                end if
        end closeStack

The simple fix of removing the "quit" actually allowed the standalone to generate a working executable... HOWEVER, now the build stops with a never-ending "Attaching engine" spinner.  I have to completely exit LC to stop the "unfinished" process.

I have tried inserting BOTH Heather's and Bob's suggestions but they do NOT resolve the "Attaching engine" issue.

Any suggestions?

ps... LC business 8.1.10 still generated the standalone PERFECTLY... even with the v9 changes in the script.  Glad I kept it around!!!  NOT lovin' v9x much at all!

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

> [...]
> >
> > Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue
> is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by
> Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".
> >
> > I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's
> standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat
> this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for
> other than potential issues with the standalone builder.
> >
> > I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or
> where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.

What you need is described in the release notes from 9.x onwards

Removing the command quit is not the solution

use this, it is copied from the release notes:

on closeStack
if the environment is "development" and \
there is a stack "revStandaloneProgress" and \
the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 then
exit closeStack
end if
end closeStack

i use it always and always works ok.

Op 1-11-2019 om 18:44 schreef Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode:

> [...]
>>> Is there such a log or audit which details the steps that LC is taking and possibly what the issue
>> is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by
>> Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".
>>> I follow this user-group quite closely and seem to recall others having issues with LC v9's
>> standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat
>> this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking for
>> other than potential issues with the standalone builder.
>>> I'd very much appreciate any tips, pointers, explanations as to how to either resolve this issue or
>> where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.

Thanks, JJS.

I had that code ion place from Bob's suggestion but ran into the (apparent) never-ending "Attaching Engine" state.  **BUT** just now I discovered, as my eye glanced over at the app's script in the Editor, the standalone build had "re-started" my application and was "stalled" on a "red-dot" debug flag.

I ALWAYS put a red-dot/debug flag in the "OpenCard" call so I can control whether I want the app to run or not when it initially loads into LC.

Once I clicked on the <F5> (continue) button of the editor, the standalone completed.  REALLY?  Whatever!  Now that I know that "feature", I can live with it.. but I bet THAT characteristic *isn't* described in the release note(s).

Thanks again for your help!

Doug

> [...]
> >> created as per the settings but it is completely empty.
> >> v9.x to generated the standalone... and ... I can't find ANY error or log explaining what is
> wrong!!
> >> is that it cannot resolve?  I have checked at the Administrators tools event logging provided by
> >> Windows 7 ... but there is no corresponding event which is simultaneous with the LC "crash".
> >> standalone processes but I cannot seem to find such references within the very large amount of chat
> >> this site contains.  I have NOT checked the LC QC bugs since I really don't know what I'm looking
> for
> >> other than potential issues with the standalone builder.
> or
> >> where within my LC environment I can find any logs concerning the standalone processing.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I know this group loves details especially when the details reinforce a successful resolution of a problem.

Of course, I'd love it if someone could substantiate and replicate my experience with LC v9 standalone build by putting a red-dot debug flag in their "openCard" handler... save the file with "Script Debug Mode" checked ... then try to build a standalone.

You "should" find that the standalone gets to the "Attach engine" stage but never stops and that your code is now halted at the debug flag.

Now here's the INTERESTING part... if, instead of telling the debugger to "continue/run" (e.g. via F5 or the drop-down menu), you select the "STOP" command (shift-F5 or the drop-down), the standalone continues to "spin" and never stops.  If you do this you will have to stop/exit LC completely to make LC responsive again.  Generally, I usually *do* STOP the app at the debug line when I am modifying the code ... that's why, when this started to happen with V9, I didn't clue into why the standalone was NOT finishing.  At some point, instead, I "accidentally" pressed the RUN/CONTINUE icon when the "Attach Engine" window was spinning... and, wha-da-ya-know, the standalone finished!

I fail to see why one of the (likely) final steps of the standalone builder actually "runs" the application *before* the standalone actually finishes... rather than just "re-load" it ... as all previous versions to v9 apparently did.

Or, as the actual FINAL step, just *after* the standalone declares "Standalone application saved successfully".. THEN re-start the app ... if you must!

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

Glad you discovered that :)

Op 2-11-2019 om 02:48 schreef Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Heather from LC also offered the following code in a related situation to Giovanni's:
>>> on closeStack
>>> if the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 then
>>> exit closeStack
>>> end if
>>> end closeStack
>>>
>>> The simple fix of removing the "quit" actually allowed the standalone to generate a working
>> executable... HOWEVER, now the build stops with a never-ending "Attaching engine" spinner.  I have to
>> completely exit LC to stop the "unfinished" process.
>>> I have tried inserting BOTH Heather's and Bob's suggestions but they do NOT resolve the "Attaching
>> engine" issue.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> ps... LC business 8.1.10 still generated the standalone PERFECTLY... even with the v9 changes in the
>> script.  Glad I kept it around!!!  NOT lovin' v9x much at all!

This is all part of the breaking change.  Lock messsages is no longer used when closing/opening the stack.  What happens if you put the build test before the red dot?  Shouldn’t it never get there?

Thanks,
Brian