going nuts again

MisterX
Hi everyone,

Not long ago, there was a mention of problem with images not refreshing
correctly based on a changing path of the image.

Well, not long ago, actually centuries ago (naturally, i couldn't find it
anymore despite being sure i entered it - and i doubt it is easily
replicatable - and i dont have time to rebugzilla it), i posted a problem
with some images not refreshing correctly irrespective of where the image
was.

In this case, im using buttons as patterned objects. And since groups can't
be set opaque reliably either on WinXP compared to W2K, again a button for
bg pattern. hummmm...

First observation is that changing a backpattern doesn't always refresh -
sometimes it's just black (try to flip the pattern image horizontally and
see that happens to your buttons' patterns after).

Since these are all cloned objects, often is the case that one or the other
button patterns start to act up on their own despite their properties. Some
display a black 2 pixel border (no border is show though), others don't even
show their patterns or only do so when clicked! In another case, each time i
display this window with patterns, a patterns shows or doesn't...

All images are buffered naturally... Sometime a simple click on the button
will restore the image! WTF?

This is a time waste each time it happens. You just can't fix anything on
these buttons. Happens mostly on buttons but on menus too. So you have to
redo one from scratch!

Any ideas or fixes?

thanks
Xavier

Re: going nuts again

ScottR
Recently, MisterX  wrote:

> not long ago, actually centuries ago (naturally, i couldn't find it
> anymore despite being sure i entered it - and i doubt it is easily
> replicatable - and i dont have time to rebugzilla it), i posted a problem
> with some images not refreshing correctly irrespective of where the image
> was.
>
> In this case, im using buttons as patterned objects. And since groups can't
> be set opaque reliably either on WinXP compared to W2K, again a button for
> bg pattern. hummmm...

This is amusing, I never even knew you could set a background to be opaque.
The behavior seems a bit unusual though (here on OSX) in that even though it
looks opaque, it doesn't catch mouse clicks.

> First observation is that changing a backpattern doesn't always refresh -
> sometimes it's just black (try to flip the pattern image horizontally and
> see that happens to your buttons' patterns after).
>
> Since these are all cloned objects, often is the case that one or the other
> button patterns start to act up on their own despite their properties. Some
> display a black 2 pixel border (no border is show though), others don't even
> show their patterns or only do so when clicked! In another case, each time i
> display this window with patterns, a patterns shows or doesn't...

Isn't it still that case that images used as repeating patterns must be
multiples of specific sizes?  "To be used on Windows and Unix systems,
height and width must be divisible by 8." Could this be the problem, that
you're using images of incorrect dimensions?

The only artifact I've noticed recently is that scaling an image vertically
with transparency on its right side will produce a single black pixel line
on the outside edge.

> All images are buffered naturally... Sometime a simple click on the button
> will restore the image! WTF?
>
> This is a time waste each time it happens. You just can't fix anything on
> these buttons. Happens mostly on buttons but on menus too. So you have to
> redo one from scratch!
>
> Any ideas or fixes?

Have the images been created in Rev?  If not, did you try using the "cursor
fix" technique of clicking on them with one of the paint tools to convert to
"native" Rev format?

Maybe trying another object?  Does the object in the group need to be a
button?  How about a graphic?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

RE: going nuts again

MisterX

Scott, my hero!!!

Indeed my patterns was 41 pixels in height!!!!

Darn primitive earth tech! ;)
Where's the freedom of expression in that i wonder?

so many patterns, so many that are rev or mac incompatible "by design"!
pfff - If the web was restricted so... woah...

Im sure Rev will conquer this problem soon or later but meanwhile,
One more error detector to write...

Thanks again Scott!

cheers
Xavier

RE: going nuts again

MisterX
Bad news Scott,

it seems to work at first... I resized all my patterns
to be sized as multiples of 8 and squared for the Square Mac patterns
handler
and the control still misbehaves!!!

grrrrr

;(

Re: going nuts again

Chipp Walters
Hi X,

I think you need the following:

on idle
   reset all the background of all the buttons to what they should be
end idle

:-)

Seriously,
Here's how I'd approach it:

Step 1: Can I programatically 'reset' the backgrounds by:

set the backgroundPattern of btn "myButt" to ""
set the backgroundPattern of btn "myButt" to img "moon"

or if that doesn't work try setting the bgPattern to one texture, then
the other, then back to the first. See if toggling it in this manner
doesn't provide results. Try inserting a 'set alwaysBuffer to false'
then back to true in-between. Just some ideas.

Step 2: If you can 'force' a reset programatically, then you may need to
fire a handler every so often to check.

best,

Chipp

Re: going nuts again

xbury.cs
Thanks Chipp,

I'll give it an idle try ;)

Is this a problem only on windoze or Mac also? Now, i can confirm it also
happens on win2000, XP and 2003!

After deleting the images, deleting the buttons, recreating the buttons,
the images (to revspec)
reimporting them, reseting the patterns on the buttons, i noticed that one
button still screws up.

Last thing i saw (but not the first time) is that if the button is
autohilite - when you click the button
the pattern goes "black"...

Weird indeed...

I'll keep trying to isolate this but it's the damnation of any theme group
i create... There's always
one or the other control screwing up... no matter how i reset it...

cheers
Xavier

On 21/07/2005 07:56:31 use-revolution-bounces wrote:

>Hi X,
>
>I think you need the following:
>
>on idle
>reset all the background of all the buttons to what they should be
>end idle
>
>:-)
>
>Seriously,
>Here's how I'd approach it:
>
>Step 1: Can I programatically 'reset' the backgrounds by:
>
>set the backgroundPattern of btn "myButt" to ""
>set the backgroundPattern of btn "myButt" to img "moon"
>
>or if that doesn't work try setting the bgPattern to one texture, then
>the other, then back to the first. See if toggling it in this manner
>doesn't provide results. Try inserting a 'set alwaysBuffer to false'
>then back to true in-between. Just some ideas.
>
>Step 2: If you can 'force' a reset programatically, then you may need to
>fire a handler every so often to check.
>
>best,
>
>Chipp

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER