good tutorial about connecting LC desktop apps to MySQL without exposing the database

good tutorial about connecting LC desktop apps to MySQL without exposing the database

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hi,
i´ve posted this already as a comment to a topic in the Livecode forums, but i thought, this could be also of interest for the people here, especially for the ones who do not visit the forums.

At the Hostm site  there is a good tutorial about how your LC desktop apps can communicate with a MySQL/MariaDB without the need to expose your database by using an api.
The tutorial even includes an api, written completely in livecode server script, which can be downloaded for free.
You´ll find it here https://www.hostm.com/tutorials/livecode/api-mariadb-mysql <https://www.hostm.com/tutorials/livecode/api-mariadb-mysql>

Matthias

Re: good tutorial about connecting LC desktop apps to MySQL without exposing the database

dunbarx via use-livecode
Thanks a TON Matthias! This has been gnawing at my conscience for some time. While I store important data in encrypted format using a seed only I know, the data in transit and in storage is not encrypted. There is nothing critical there anyone would want, but still... this is something I definitely want to implement as soon as possible, although it will require a refactoring of my database connection and query routines.

Trevor Devore mention a few months back some possibility of updating sqlYoga to use this kind of connection. Since my routines are entirely dependent on sqlYoga, this would be important for me, otherwise I would have to essentially recreate some of his routines for getting cursors into arrays or text and back again.

Bob S

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 05:28 , Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> i´ve posted this already as a comment to a topic in the Livecode forums, but i thought, this could be also of interest for the people here, especially for the ones who do not visit the forums.
>
> At the Hostm site  there is a good tutorial about how your LC desktop apps can communicate with a MySQL/MariaDB without the need to expose your database by using an api.
> The tutorial even includes an api, written completely in livecode server script, which can be downloaded for free.
> You´ll find it here https://www.hostm.com/tutorials/livecode/api-mariadb-mysql <https://www.hostm.com/tutorials/livecode/api-mariadb-mysql>
>
> Matthias

Re: good tutorial about connecting LC desktop apps to MySQL without exposing the database

dunbarx via use-livecode
I should have said the REST of the data in transit...

Bob S

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 08:23 , Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While I store important data in encrypted format using a seed only I know, the data in transit

Re: good tutorial about connecting LC desktop apps to MySQL without exposing the database

dunbarx via use-livecode
This is a great resource... thank you.