grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
If I import an image into a stack and give it this script:

on mouseDown
   grab me
end mouseDown

it works superbly: I can grab the image with my mouse and take it for a
walk round the stack,
and when I release the mouse button I drop the image.

If I do that with an SVG widget things don't behave in the same way at
all, at all.

Re: grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Oh, look, just for a change I am replying to my own message:

On 5/7/17 9:15 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> If I import an image into a stack and give it this script:
>
> on mouseDown
>   grab me
> end mouseDown
>
> it works superbly: I can grab the image with my mouse and take it for
> a walk round the stack,
> and when I release the mouse button I drop the image.
>
> If I do that with an SVG widget things don't behave in the same way at
> all, at all.
>
> Richmond.
Turns out that if you GROUP the widget and put the GRAB script in the
group things
work as they should . . .

  . . . Documentation . . . cough, cough

Re: grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

> Am 07.05.2017 um 20:24 schrieb Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Oh, look, just for a change I am replying to my own message:
>
> On 5/7/17 9:15 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>> If I import an image into a stack and give it this script:
>>
>> on mouseDown
>>  grab me
>> end mouseDown
>>
>> it works superbly: I can grab the image with my mouse and take it for a walk round the stack,
>> and when I release the mouse button I drop the image.
>>
>> If I do that with an SVG widget things don't behave in the same way at all, at all.
>>
>> Richmond.
> Turns out that if you GROUP the widget and put the GRAB script in the group things
> work as they should . . .
>
> . . . Documentation . . . cough, cough

I'm afraid most, if not all, widgets have not been programmed to react on any "mouse" message.
Not sure if that is by purpose or not and if yes why 8-)

> Richmond.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I'm probably (not for the first time) being naive, BUT . . .

I want to import SVG images and have them behave exactly like other
imported IMAGES with the
+++ of scalability and the non-fuzzy-edged rotations,

rather than "a whole different species".

Richmond.

On 5/7/17 9:29 pm, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
>> Am 07.05.2017 um 20:24 schrieb Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Oh, look, just for a change I am replying to my own message:
>>
>> On 5/7/17 9:15 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>> If I import an image into a stack and give it this script:
>>>
>>> on mouseDown
>>>   grab me
>>> end mouseDown
>>>
>>> it works superbly: I can grab the image with my mouse and take it for a walk round the stack,
>>> and when I release the mouse button I drop the image.
>>>
>>> If I do that with an SVG widget things don't behave in the same way at all, at all.
>>>
>>> Richmond.
>> Turns out that if you GROUP the widget and put the GRAB script in the group things
>> work as they should . . .
>>
>> . . . Documentation . . . cough, cough
> I'm afraid most, if not all, widgets have not been programmed to react on any "mouse" message.
> Not sure if that is by purpose or not and if yes why 8-)
>
>> Richmond.
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Sadly grouping doesn't work with all widgets, e.g. try the
clock widget.
Essentially the widget author has to program the mouseEvents,
at least he/she has to pass them.

For the problems behind mouseEvents and widgets please read
http://forums.livecode.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=93&t=24369
especially Mark Waddingham's answers.

Re: grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Sorry, the link was wrong, here the correct link:

'handling of mouse messages in widgets'
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=126054#p126054

Re: grabbing an SVG?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
My remarks were only about SVG images.     Richmond.