help with loading audio clips into a stack

help with loading audio clips into a stack

Jon-3
Ban and I finally managed to get a player he likes, but the way I did
it, the audio clips have to reside on the hard drive.  As you can read
below, Ban wants the audio data to be stored inside the stack, so users
can't clone it.

The problem is that I don't know how to "suck" an audio clip into a
stack and then tell the player to play it back.

Can anyone else help Ban?

:)

Jon

Re: help with loading audio clips into a stack

Chris Sheffield
Hi Jon,

There's only one way to do it that I'm aware of.  Save the audio
files as binary data in custom properties of the stack.  Then,
because the player requires a file path/url, you have to temporarily
write the data to disk, set the player's filename to that file, then
play it and delete the file when it's done.  There's really no other
way.  I actually do this in my company's application, and it works
quite well.

The thing that stinks is that if those audio files are large, that
could be a big stack, and that's going to use more memory.  But maybe
that's not really an issue.

Chris

On Jul 14, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Jon wrote:

> Ban and I finally managed to get a player he likes, but the way I
> did it, the audio clips have to reside on the hard drive.  As you
> can read below, Ban wants the audio data to be stored inside the
> stack, so users can't clone it.
>
> The problem is that I don't know how to "suck" an audio clip into a
> stack and then tell the player to play it back.
>
> Can anyone else help Ban?
>
> :)
>
> Jon

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: help with loading audio clips into a stack

ScottR
> This is exactly what I need but the only thing is I don't want user to
> play songs from his/her hard drive.  I want to import 9 songs in the
> stack and they can only play 9 songs,  and I don't want them to copy
> these songs into there hard drive, because these songs are copyrighted.

Well, what may not be news to you is that anything that is played over the
computer's speakers can be captured and saved, regardless of whether or not
the files reside on the drive.

That being said, AFAIK you can't get good playback control without using a
player object that references external audio files.  Combine this with the
previous comment that any audio delivered with the stack will be loaded into
memory, potentially eating up a lot of space (are the songs full length, 3
to 5 minutes each?).

If you deliver the songs with the stack, you might write them out to the
temp directory before playing and then delete when done.

Or, instead of including audio in the stack and and writing out to the
drive, you might consider storing the audio on the Web and accessing the
files with a player object via URLs (makes for a smaller stack).  Again, not
a foolproof system for copy protection but a little less accessible than
placing on the drive.

Trevor Devore or Klaus Major might know some more tricks here.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: help with loading audio clips into a stack

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto
At 4:44 PM -0400 7/14/2005, Jon wrote:
>Ban and I finally managed to get a player he likes, but the way I
>did it, the audio clips have to reside on the hard drive.  As you
>can read below, Ban wants the audio data to be stored inside the
>stack, so users can't clone it.
>
>The problem is that I don't know how to "suck" an audio clip into a
>stack and then tell the player to play it back.
>
>Can anyone else help Ban?

Store it in a custom property:

   set the storedAudio of card "My Audio" to URL "binfile:myAudioFile.wav"

Then have a script in the Play button to spit it back out into a temp file:

   put the storedAudio of card "My Audio" into URL "binfile:myAudioFile.wav"

When finished playing (or when the application quits), delete the file:

   delete URL "binfile:myAudioFile.wav"
--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [hidden email]
http://www.jaedworks.com

Re: help with loading audio clips into a stack

Klaus major-k
Hi Scott and Ban,

>> This is exactly what I need but the only thing is I don't want
>> user to
>> play songs from his/her hard drive.  I want to import 9 songs in the
>> stack and they can only play 9 songs,  and I don't want them to copy
>> these songs into there hard drive, because these songs are
>> copyrighted.
>>

> Well, what may not be news to you is that anything that is played
> over the
> computer's speakers can be captured and saved, regardless of
> whether or not
> the files reside on the drive.
>
> That being said, AFAIK you can't get good playback control without
> using a
> player object that references external audio files.  Combine this
> with the
> previous comment that any audio delivered with the stack will be
> loaded into
> memory, potentially eating up a lot of space (are the songs full
> length, 3
> to 5 minutes each?).
>
> If you deliver the songs with the stack, you might write them out
> to the
> temp directory before playing and then delete when done.
>
> Or, instead of including audio in the stack and and writing out to the
> drive, you might consider storing the audio on the Web and
> accessing the
> files with a player object via URLs (makes for a smaller stack).
> Again, not
> a foolproof system for copy protection but a little less accessible
> than
> placing on the drive.
>
> Trevor Devore or Klaus Major might know some more tricks here.

Thanks for the flowers but there is no way (that I know) to use a
player with
internal fiels command except the above mentioned way of storing the
files
internally and spit them out into the "temp" directory or somewhere
else...

> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director