hide with visual effect

Mike Kerner
I am trying to give the user the illusion that a dialog is sliding into
view and out of view.  The dialog is a rectangle graphic background, with
controls.  Showing it is easy - show x with visual effect scroll up very
fast.  When I want to hide it though, hide x with visual effect scroll down
very fast instead shows the underlying card moving, not the group that
represents the dialog.  I could write a loop to physically move the dialog,
but that doesn't seem ideal.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: hide with visual effect

Mike Kerner
wait - got it - to slide the graphic over the card
show x with visual effect scroll up very fast #push up works, too
to move it off screen
hide x with visual effect reveal down very fast

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am trying to give the user the illusion that a dialog is sliding into
> view and out of view.  The dialog is a rectangle graphic background, with
> controls.  Showing it is easy - show x with visual effect scroll up very
> fast.  When I want to hide it though, hide x with visual effect scroll down
> very fast instead shows the underlying card moving, not the group that
> represents the dialog.  I could write a loop to physically move the dialog,
> but that doesn't seem ideal.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: hide with visual effect

Richmond Mathewson-2
Possibly: http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28102

Richmond.

On 11.10.2016 17:46, Mike Kerner wrote:
> I am trying to give the user the illusion that a dialog is sliding into
> view and out of view.  The dialog is a rectangle graphic background, with
> controls.  Showing it is easy - show x with visual effect scroll up very
> fast.  When I want to hide it though, hide x with visual effect scroll down
> very fast instead shows the underlying card moving, not the group that
> represents the dialog.  I could write a loop to physically move the dialog,
> but that doesn't seem ideal.

Re: hide with visual effect

Devin Asay

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am trying to give the user the illusion that a dialog is sliding into
> view and out of view.  The dialog is a rectangle graphic background, with
> controls.  Showing it is easy - show x with visual effect scroll up very
> fast.  When I want to hide it though, hide x with visual effect scroll down
> very fast instead shows the underlying card moving, not the group that
> represents the dialog.  I could write a loop to physically move the dialog,

Here’s the recommended way (according to the dictionary):

lock screen for visual effect in rect the rect of group “foo”
show group “foo”
unlock screen with visual effect scroll down # or whatever

I’ve used this technique lots. Works great.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: hide with visual effect

ScottR
I believe you already found your answer/s, but in addition to other suggestions posted, keep in mind the effectRate property, which allows much finer timing control (as opposed to slow, fast, very fast, etc).  I find that the default rate of 2000 is a bit slow by today’s standards, so cutting that down to 1000 or or sometimes 750, depending on the effect, can result in a much snappier feeling and responsive app.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 11:19 AM, Devin Asay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to give the user the illusion that a dialog is sliding into
>> view and out of view.  The dialog is a rectangle graphic background, with
>> controls.  Showing it is easy - show x with visual effect scroll up very
>> fast.  When I want to hide it though, hide x with visual effect scroll down
>> very fast instead shows the underlying card moving, not the group that
>> represents the dialog.  I could write a loop to physically move the dialog,

iOS Background Audio rejection.

Ralph DiMola
I just got an Apple rejection with this question.

---------------------
We began the review of your app but aren't able to continue because we need additional information about your app.

- What features in your app use Background Audio?
------------------------

I used to just delete the "exit on suspend" key using the plist hack. I thought that ticking the "Background Audio box" would do the same. Is there another key that is in the plist causing Apple to ask this question?

Thanks for any help on this.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: iOS Background Audio rejection.

Colin Holgate-3
Are you saying that you did check the “Background Audio” box? That would be the reason Apple are asking. Why was it you checked that box?

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just got an Apple rejection with this question.
>
> ---------------------
> We began the review of your app but aren't able to continue because we need additional information about your app.
>
> - What features in your app use Background Audio?
> ------------------------
>
> I used to just delete the "exit on suspend" key using the plist hack. I thought that ticking the "Background Audio box" would do the same. Is there another key that is in the plist causing Apple to ask this question?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
>
> Ralph DiMola

Re: hide with visual effect

J. Landman Gay
Do you know if "very fast" is no longer "as fast as the machine will
go"? That used to be the case.

On 10/11/16 2:16 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> I believe you already found your answer/s, but in addition to other suggestions posted, keep in mind the effectRate property, which allows much finer timing control (as opposed to slow, fast, very fast, etc).  I find that the default rate of 2000 is a bit slow by today’s standards, so cutting that down to 1000 or or sometimes 750, depending on the effect, can result in a much snappier feeling and responsive app.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>
>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 11:19 AM, Devin Asay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to give the user the illusion that a dialog is sliding into
>>> view and out of view.  The dialog is a rectangle graphic background, with
>>> controls.  Showing it is easy - show x with visual effect scroll up very
>>> fast.  When I want to hide it though, hide x with visual effect scroll down
>>> very fast instead shows the underlying card moving, not the group that
>>> represents the dialog.  I could write a loop to physically move the dialog,

Re: hide with visual effect

Mike Kerner
Wow, I learned something new.  Yes, the effectRate affects "very fast", too

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:26 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Do you know if "very fast" is no longer "as fast as the machine will go"?
> That used to be the case.
>

> On 10/11/16 2:16 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>
>> I believe you already found your answer/s, but in addition to other
>> suggestions posted, keep in mind the effectRate property, which allows much
>> finer timing control (as opposed to slow, fast, very fast, etc).  I find
>> that the default rate of 2000 is a bit slow by today’s standards, so
>> cutting that down to 1000 or or sometimes 750, depending on the effect, can
>> result in a much snappier feeling and responsive app.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott Rossi
>> Creative Director
>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 11:19 AM, Devin Asay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:46 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

RE: iOS Background Audio rejection.

Ralph DiMola
Yes, I checked it because you can't edit the plist files anymore. I wanted to delete the "exit on suspend" key. The startup of the app take some time(3-6 seconds). When the user returns to the app I want it instantly in the same state as when the user left. I know I could save the state but just loading the stack and the engine initializing takes too long. I've been using the plist hack for years now without any rejections. I wonder if ticking the background audio box does more than delete then "exit on suspend" key?

Thanks

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Are you saying that you did check the “Background Audio” box? That would be the reason Apple are asking. Why was it you checked that box?

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just got an Apple rejection with this question.
>
> ---------------------
> We began the review of your app but aren't able to continue because we need additional information about your app.
>
> - What features in your app use Background Audio?
> ------------------------
>
> I used to just delete the "exit on suspend" key using the plist hack. I thought that ticking the "Background Audio box" would do the same. Is there another key that is in the plist causing Apple to ask this question?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
>
> Ralph DiMola

Re: hide with visual effect

Mike Kerner
Devin, I should have mentioned this, but I made my dialog translucent, so
the scroll down effect won't look right since it causes the underlying card
to slide into view, when what I'm trying to get is the effect of the
overlay sliding out of the way.  If I was "pushing" the card out of view
with the dialog, yes.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wow, I learned something new.  Yes, the effectRate affects "very fast", too
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:26 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Do you know if "very fast" is no longer "as fast as the machine will go"?
>> That used to be the case.
>>

>> On 10/11/16 2:16 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>>
>>> I believe you already found your answer/s, but in addition to other
>>> suggestions posted, keep in mind the effectRate property, which allows much
>>> finer timing control (as opposed to slow, fast, very fast, etc).  I find
>>> that the default rate of 2000 is a bit slow by today’s standards, so
>>> cutting that down to 1000 or or sometimes 750, depending on the effect, can
>>> result in a much snappier feeling and responsive app.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Scott Rossi
>>> Creative Director
>>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: hide with visual effect

Devin Asay

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 2:26 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you know if "very fast" is no longer "as fast as the machine will go"? That used to be the case.

It’s not that any more. It is all relative to the effectRate property. Here’s what the dictionary says:

"By default, the effectRate property is set to 2000 (2 seconds)."

"You can specify five speeds with the visual effect command: very fast, fast, normal, slow, or very slow. The effectRate property specifies how long a very slow visual effect takes."

So all of the speed settings seem to be relative to the effectRate. I tried setting the effectRate to 10000. And indeed at ‘very slow’ speed it took 10 seconds. At ‘very fast’ speed it takes about 2.5 seconds.

So it’s all relative.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: hide with visual effect

Devin Asay

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 2:50 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Devin, I should have mentioned this, but I made my dialog translucent, so
> the scroll down effect won't look right since it causes the underlying card
> to slide into view, when what I'm trying to get is the effect of the
> overlay sliding out of the way.  If I was "pushing" the card out of view
> with the dialog, yes.

Oh, yeah, I see the problem. I had a similar problem once, and like you say, the graphic effect wasn’t quite right because the underlying stuff showed through the thing I was “sliding” onto and off of the card. What I ended up having to do was to take a snapshot image of the translucent group, then do the transition effect using the image. Even though the content of the image was some controls that were translucent, the resultant image snapshot image was opaque, so it worked the way I wanted.

Hope I’m reading right what you’re trying to do.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: hide with visual effect

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Mike,

This old stack provides an useful visual reference
for every visual effect:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3834621/demoMC27_no_sounds.livecode

Alejandro

Re: iOS Background Audio rejection.

Randy Hengst
I'm still using the same hack on LC8.1 that I used in 7.x. And, it seems to work fine with the updates I've sent to apple after iOS 10. I've not checked the background audio you mentioned.

be well,
randy
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I checked it because you can't edit the plist files anymore. I wanted to delete the "exit on suspend" key. The startup of the app take some time(3-6 seconds). When the user returns to the app I want it instantly in the same state as when the user left. I know I could save the state but just loading the stack and the engine initializing takes too long. I've been using the plist hack for years now without any rejections. I wonder if ticking the background audio box does more than delete then "exit on suspend" key?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

Re: hide with visual effect

J. Landman Gay
On 10/11/16 3:52 PM, Devin Asay wrote:

>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 2:26 PM, J. Landman Gay
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Do you know if "very fast" is no longer "as fast as the machine
>> will go"? That used to be the case.
>
> It’s not that any more. It is all relative to the effectRate
> property.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've been operating on old assumptions.

RE: iOS Background Audio rejection.

Ralph DiMola
Randy,
Thanks!

I'll just make those folders read/write and make the edits. I did not realize that the "background audio" option sets UIBackgroundModes key to "audio".

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]
Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
I'm still using the same hack on LC8.1 that I used in 7.x. And, it seems to work fine with the updates I've sent to apple after iOS 10. I've not checked the background audio you mentioned.

be well,
randy
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I checked it because you can't edit the plist files anymore. I wanted to delete the "exit on suspend" key. The startup of the app take some time(3-6 seconds). When the user returns to the app I want it instantly in the same state as when the user left. I know I could save the state but just loading the stack and the engine initializing takes too long. I've been using the plist hack for years now without any rejections. I wonder if ticking the background audio box does more than delete then "exit on suspend" key?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

Why can't you edit the plist file?  I'm pretty sure I have done it in 8 and
I think 8.1, too.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Randy,
> Thanks!
>
> I'll just make those folders read/write and make the edits. I did not
> realize that the "background audio" option sets UIBackgroundModes key to
> "audio".
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]
> Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
> Cell: 518-796-9332

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

RE: iOS Background Audio rejection.

Ralph DiMola
The iOS device folders are now read-only. I set them to read/write and edited the plist files. The background audio setting seemed the easier path but set another key also that raised Apples eyebrows and got me rejected.

wrote:

> Randy,
> Thanks!
>
> I'll just make those folders read/write and make the edits. I did not
> realize that the "background audio" option sets UIBackgroundModes key
> to "audio".
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]
> Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
> Cell: 518-796-9332

On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth On the second day, God created the oceans.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: iOS Background Audio rejection.

Phil Jimmieson-2
When I tried to edit it, it broke LiveCode - Gatekeeper complained it was no longer valid - I think because it’s now all signed and changing the plist file makes the signing invalid.

LiveCode - Can we please have an option in the standalone builder to set the ExitsOnSuspend item in the plist please? You can pop up a warning dialog box in 72pt red text if you like, warning that it can cause problems, but please allow us to do this easily, rather than choose background audio, or manually hack the appropriate plist files.

> On 12 Oct 2016, at 13:21, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why can't you edit the plist file?  I'm pretty sure I have done it in 8 and
> I think 8.1, too.
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Ralph DiMola <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Randy,
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I'll just make those folders read/write and make the edits. I did not
>> realize that the "background audio" option sets UIBackgroundModes key to
>> "audio".
>>
>> Ralph DiMola
>> IT Director
>> Evergreen Information Services
>> [hidden email]
>> Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
>> Cell: 518-796-9332

Phil Jimmieson  [hidden email]  (UK) 0151 795 4236  (Mobile) 07976 983164
Computer Science Dept., Liverpool University, Ashton Building, Ashton Street
Liverpool L69 3BX              http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~phil/
I used to sit on a special medical board... ...but now I use this ointment.