how to play WMV videos on Windows

Claude Lemmel
Le 22/03/2013 18:00, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Does anyone have a recipe on how to play WMV videos on Windows
> systems with QuickTime installed?

After a lot of struggle, i just play video on Windows in the revBrowser !

I create on fly a html file with a flash player.

It can seems crazy to load both a html browser and flash to play a
video, but it works very well...

Claude

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

Colin Holgate-2
Flash can play FLV and any kind of H.264 file, but it doesn't play WMV. I'm assuming the question was more about how to play WMV, and not how to play video in general.

Also, you would be more likely to use Flash as the solution for systems that don't have QuickTime, and here the question was about systems that do have QuickTime.

Ironically, on Mac there wouldn't be a problem, you would use Flip4Mac to allow WMV to play using QuickTime, but that seems to not be possible with Windows.

Still, using revBrowser might still solve the basic need, assuming that it's possible to play WMV in a browser.

I tried this page:

http://archive.org/details/Windows7WildlifeSampleVideo

and the WMV file you can try does a download and play in the Video application, and doesn't play in IE on Windows. So maybe it's not possible?

On Mar 23, 2013, at 6:16 AM, Claude Lemmel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >After a lot of struggle, i just play video on Windows in the revBrowser !
>
> >I create on fly a html file with a flash player.
>
> >It can seems crazy to load both a html browser and flash to play a video, but it works very well...

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

Ralf Bitter-2

Hi Claude,

thanks for the feedback. Tried what you suggested. Using revBrowser
and a Flash player HD 720p H.264 QuickTime mov files play fine even
the MP4 AVC ones. So, this means that I don't anymore need to find
out how to to play WMV on Windows systems with QuickTime installed.
Nonetheless it seemingly turns out that the player object is pretty
useless on Windows with QuickTime installed when it comes to playing
video, at least when there is a demand for decent quality.
Hopefully this will change in the near future.

Thanks again

Ralf

On 23.03.2013, at 11:16, Claude Lemmel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 22/03/2013 18:00, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> Does anyone have a recipe on how to play WMV videos on Windows
>> systems with QuickTime installed?
>
> After a lot of struggle, i just play video on Windows in the revBrowser !
>
> I create on fly a html file with a flash player.
>
> It can seems crazy to load both a html browser and flash to play a video, but it works very well...
>
> Claude

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

Ralf Bitter-2

Thanks Colin. Actually I asked for a recipe on how to play WMV videos
on Windows systems with QuickTime installed because of bad playback
performance of HD quality QuickTime movies. So, if WMV would have worked
using WMV would have been sort of a compromise. Claude's suggestion is
a solution, so I can happily set WMV aside as all my footage is MP4 AVC
anyway. Should have asked for a recipe on how to play high quality video
on windows with QuickTime installed.

Anyhow, I find the player object pretty frustrating and one should not
have to use Flash and revBrowser for a simple thing like playing video.

Thanks

Ralf

On 23.03.2013, at 13:53, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Flash can play FLV and any kind of H.264 file, but it doesn't play WMV. I'm assuming the question was more about how to play WMV, and not how to play video in general.
>
> Also, you would be more likely to use Flash as the solution for systems that don't have QuickTime, and here the question was about systems that do have QuickTime.
>
> Ironically, on Mac there wouldn't be a problem, you would use Flip4Mac to allow WMV to play using QuickTime, but that seems to not be possible with Windows.
>
> Still, using revBrowser might still solve the basic need, assuming that it's possible to play WMV in a browser.
>
> I tried this page:
>
> http://archive.org/details/Windows7WildlifeSampleVideo
>
> and the WMV file you can try does a download and play in the Video application, and doesn't play in IE on Windows. So maybe it's not possible?
>

> On Mar 23, 2013, at 6:16 AM, Claude Lemmel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> After a lot of struggle, i just play video on Windows in the revBrowser !
>>
>>> I create on fly a html file with a flash player.
>>
>>> It can seems crazy to load both a html browser and flash to play a video, but it works very well...

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

Klaus on-rev
Hi Ralf,

Am 23.03.2013 um 16:46 schrieb Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Colin. Actually I asked for a recipe on how to play WMV videos
> on Windows systems with QuickTime installed because of bad playback
> performance of HD quality QuickTime movies. So, if WMV would have worked
> using WMV would have been sort of a compromise. Claude's suggestion is
> a solution, so I can happily set WMV aside as all my footage is MP4 AVC
> anyway. Should have asked for a recipe on how to play high quality video
> on windows with QuickTime installed.
>
> Anyhow, I find the player object pretty frustrating and one should not
> have to use Flash and revBrowser for a simple thing like playing video.

this won't help, but even on a Mac the QuickTime player object is rather disappointing!

Play a 640*360pixel video fullscreen (on a 24" monitor at 1920*1200) with
QuickTime Player and you get very smooth playback, do same in Livecode
and you get choppy playback, no fun!

> Thanks
>
> Ralf

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

Ralf Bitter-2

Thanks, Klaus. Indeed, it doesn't help, but good to know anyway.

In the end, as a precaution, I will refuse any job in case video
is involved (iOS excluded).

Ralf

On 23.03.2013, at 17:14, Klaus on-rev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> Am 23.03.2013 um 16:46 schrieb Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Thanks Colin. Actually I asked for a recipe on how to play WMV videos
>> on Windows systems with QuickTime installed because of bad playback
>> performance of HD quality QuickTime movies. So, if WMV would have worked
>> using WMV would have been sort of a compromise. Claude's suggestion is
>> a solution, so I can happily set WMV aside as all my footage is MP4 AVC
>> anyway. Should have asked for a recipe on how to play high quality video
>> on windows with QuickTime installed.
>>
>> Anyhow, I find the player object pretty frustrating and one should not
>> have to use Flash and revBrowser for a simple thing like playing video.
>
> this won't help, but even on a Mac the QuickTime player object is rather disappointing!
>
> Play a 640*360pixel video fullscreen (on a 24" monitor at 1920*1200) with
> QuickTime Player and you get very smooth playback, do same in Livecode
> and you get choppy playback, no fun!
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ralf
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

J. Landman Gay
On 3/23/13 10:46 AM, Ralf Bitter wrote:

> Anyhow, I find the player object pretty frustrating and one should not
> have to use Flash and revBrowser for a simple thing like playing video.

I thought LiveCode would use the native Windows API if dontUseQT was set
to true. I think you have to do that on startup, because otherwise the
app will load QT early in the startup process. I haven't ever had to do
that but it is worth a try.

In the IDE you can turn off "Load QuickTime on startup" in the General
pane in preferences while you're testing.

Re: how to play WMV videos on Windows

Ralf Bitter-2

Hi Jacqueline,

the problem is that I have some interactive QuickTime movies which need
dontUseQT set to false but as soon as dontUseQT is set to false there seems
to be no way to play WMV files even if you set dontUseQT to true (of course
before any player or movie related action).

Ralf