how to use the scale geometry property of an object?

how to use the scale geometry property of an object?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi,

I have a full-window image and need dozens of clickable transparent polygons
on top of it, shaping details of the image. My idea was, that all these
polygons could be resized and positioned automatically by the scaling
property of the object, when resizing the stack.

I have never used the geometry propertry section of an object to scale it
and I don't see actually how it works.

My idea was, that when activated, the object would scale automatically, if I
resize the stack, but nothing happens with the object. Obviously it's not
that easy, as I thought, or I am missing something vital.

I also tested to resize each object in the resizeStack handler by script by
the resized proportions of the stack, but this gives very inaccurate results
because of rounding the small factors of all the small resize steps, while
resizing a stack by dragging the window.

Any hint, on how to use the scale property of an object?

Thanks

Tiemo

Re: how to use the scale geometry property of an object?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Are you talking about the geometry manager? I’ll be talking about that at LCG next month.

One thing you’re going to need to handle manually will be the aspect ratio. The GM does not have the ability to do that automatically (that I know of).

To prevent accumulation of small errors in your resize handler, you need to use constants for the relative position of objects. So the object is x% from the left/top/right/bottom. That is how the GM works.
On Jun 12, 2018, 5:24 AM -0500, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a full-window image and need dozens of clickable transparent polygons
> on top of it, shaping details of the image. My idea was, that all these
> polygons could be resized and positioned automatically by the scaling
> property of the object, when resizing the stack.
>

> I have never used the geometry propertry section of an object to scale it
> and I don't see actually how it works.
>
> My idea was, that when activated, the object would scale automatically, if I
> resize the stack, but nothing happens with the object. Obviously it's not
> that easy, as I thought, or I am missing something vital.
>

> I also tested to resize each object in the resizeStack handler by script by
> the resized proportions of the stack, but this gives very inaccurate results
> because of rounding the small factors of all the small resize steps, while
> resizing a stack by dragging the window.
>

> Any hint, on how to use the scale property of an object?
>

> Thanks
>
> Tiemo

Re: how to use the scale geometry property of an object?

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
If you use fullscreenmode they will scale automatically, you don't have to
do anything. Everything on the card will resize itself proportionally,
which is why it's so easy.

The down side is that buttons and other controls will also scale, so they
may not be exactly the same size as standard OS conventions, but I live
with that. If you are using a custom skin it doesn't matter much.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]