Quantcast

html5 feature list anywhere? sqlite? local file access?

html5 feature list anywhere? sqlite? local file access?

prothero--- via use-livecode
I am trying unsuccessfully to see what the feature list is for html5, and
what, if anything, has been omitted.

In particular, is SQLite still built in? (if not, I'd be dead in the water)

Can things be saved to local files, and read back from them?  (not much
point in creating a document that can't be saved, and need to get the
license key and other preferences).

ANd is the performance adequate for an application-sized project, as
opposed to app-sized?

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
I have a few variables I would like to pass
from one <?lc.. server script to another using
a web  browser with an lc server that is not
configured to be a cgi server. The variables
I want to process are in flux as values and
are not quite ready to be put into the database
just yet.

How should one do that these days?

In addition, In my search of the dictionary
I also came across that one
supposedly can declare a global
variable and that it will supposedly
work with the server platform too.
Really?  How would that work?

Syntax
global variableNameList
SummaryDeclares a global variable <>.Introduced1.0OSmac, windows, linux, ios, androidPlatformsdesktop, server, mobile

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Can't answer the rest, but as for the global.. Since you can utilize stacks
with server, you could declare a global just as you would normally, in any
scripts that needed it, and it would work just like in lc proper.  It would
only persist during the run of that particular instance.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a few variables I would like to pass
> from one <?lc.. server script to another using
> a web  browser with an lc server that is not
> configured to be a cgi server. The variables
> I want to process are in flux as values and
> are not quite ready to be put into the database
> just yet.
>
> How should one do that these days?
>
> In addition, In my search of the dictionary
> I also came across that one
> supposedly can declare a global
> variable and that it will supposedly
> work with the server platform too.
> Really?  How would that work?
>
> Syntax
> global variableNameList
> SummaryDeclares a global variable <>.Introduced1.0OSmac, windows, linux,
> ios, androidPlatformsdesktop, server, mobile

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Mike,

So the answer is - only in a stack.
Perhaps the dictionary should have
a comment stating or clarifying that fact.

Thanks,

Rick

Mike said:

    Can't answer the rest, but as for the global.. Since you can utilize
    stacks with server, you could declare a global just as you would
    normally, in any scripts that needed it, and it would work just like
    in lc proper.  It would only persist during the run of that
    particular instance.

LiveCode globals are available to all scripts that declare them within
the LiveCode process.

I think maybe the reason Mike's reply was focused on stacks is that it's
not clear what you're doing.

Your original post said:

   I have a few variables I would like to pass from one <?lc..
   server script to another using a web  browser with an lc
   server that is not configured to be a cgi server.

Since LC Server runs as a CGI, and even if you were using a standalone
on the server as a daemon it would still be on the server and not in the
client browser, I can't figure out what that sentence means.

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
I was mainly referring to the fact that an lc server script isn't
restricted to a single script file, so scope still matters.  (Clarity is
not my strong suit)  So as in a standalone etc, to use a global one would
need to declare it in each script where it needs to be available, whether
server or not.  Sorry for my clear as mud first effort.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rick Harrison wrote:
>
> > So the answer is - only in a stack.
> > Perhaps the dictionary should have
> > a comment stating or clarifying that fact.
>
> Mike said:
>
>    Can't answer the rest, but as for the global.. Since you can utilize
>    stacks with server, you could declare a global just as you would
>    normally, in any scripts that needed it, and it would work just like
>    in lc proper.  It would only persist during the run of that
>    particular instance.
>
> LiveCode globals are available to all scripts that declare them within the
> LiveCode process.
>
> I think maybe the reason Mike's reply was focused on stacks is that it's
> not clear what you're doing.
>
> Your original post said:
>
>   I have a few variables I would like to pass from one <?lc..
>   server script to another using a web  browser with an lc
>   server that is not configured to be a cgi server.
>
> Since LC Server runs as a CGI, and even if you were using a standalone on
> the server as a daemon it would still be on the server and not in the
> client browser, I can't figure out what that sentence means.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Richard,

Ok, let me clarify if I can.  LC Server as it
is installed out of the box without setting
it up as it used to be set up in the old days.

I have three webpages.  The first accepts
the user’s input into various fields and then
passes that information to the next webpage
through the user's web browser.  That works
fine.  Then without writing those parameters
out to a database, I want to pass those
now hidden parameters to the next webpage
for further processing before writing those
values out to the database.

How are people handling that process?
Or am I forced into writing everything out
to the database and then reading it all
back in just to go from one page to the next
to the next?

Thanks,

Rick

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 6:52 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Rick Harrison wrote:
>
> > So the answer is - only in a stack.
> > Perhaps the dictionary should have
> > a comment stating or clarifying that fact.
>
> Mike said:
>
>   Can't answer the rest, but as for the global.. Since you can utilize
>   stacks with server, you could declare a global just as you would
>   normally, in any scripts that needed it, and it would work just like
>   in lc proper.  It would only persist during the run of that
>   particular instance.
>
> LiveCode globals are available to all scripts that declare them within the LiveCode process.
>
> I think maybe the reason Mike's reply was focused on stacks is that it's not clear what you're doing.
>
> Your original post said:
>
>  I have a few variables I would like to pass from one <?lc..
>  server script to another using a web  browser with an lc
>  server that is not configured to be a cgi server.
>
> Since LC Server runs as a CGI, and even if you were using a standalone on the server as a daemon it would still be on the server and not in the client browser, I can't figure out what that sentence means.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Ah k.  Still not sure what you mean about how its installed, but if you are
hitting lc server script pages directly in the browser through a web
server, that part most likely doesn't matter. (otherwise i'm sure you'll
correct me)

It sounds like you need to use session management.   If all your pages are
.lc based, you can look at this forum topic
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10787&p=50056&hilit=session#p50034
for an example of passing information around using session variables.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Richard Gaskin
> > Fourth World Systems
> > Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode

> Am 07.04.2017 um 04:46 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Ok, let me clarify if I can.  LC Server as it
> is installed out of the box without setting
> it up as it used to be set up in the old days.
>
> I have three webpages.  The first accepts
> the user’s input into various fields and then
> passes that information to the next webpage
> through the user's web browser.
> That works fine.  Then without writing those parameters
> out to a database, I want to pass those
> now hidden parameters to the next webpage
> for further processing before writing those

is the third website just for further processing w/o an output to the user or do you also want to output some information to the user?

case 1
You could use the http post or get method to pass the parametesr to the 3rd script/website from the 2nd script and return the result then to  the 2nd script.
Be aware that your 2nd scrip or better said every lc script, needs to do an output, even if it´s just a blank. Otherwise the server returns an error 500

case 2
 If i remember right, put header allows you to redirect. So in your 2nd script/website after you´ve done whatever you could use put header to redirect using put header:

something like this
put "http://yoursite.com?param1&param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame>" into tURL
put  header "Status: 301”
put header "Location:" && tURL
put “redirecting…”   — i am not sure if this last line is still needed, but in older versions of lcServer it was.

Matthias

> How are people handling that process?
> Or am I forced into writing everything out
> to the database and then reading it all
> back in just to go from one page to the next
> to the next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>
>> On Apr 6, 2017, at 6:52 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Rick Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> So the answer is - only in a stack.
>>> Perhaps the dictionary should have
>>> a comment stating or clarifying that fact.
>>
>> Mike said:
>>
>>  Can't answer the rest, but as for the global.. Since you can utilize
>>  stacks with server, you could declare a global just as you would
>>  normally, in any scripts that needed it, and it would work just like
>>  in lc proper.  It would only persist during the run of that
>>  particular instance.
>>
>> LiveCode globals are available to all scripts that declare them within the LiveCode process.
>>
>> I think maybe the reason Mike's reply was focused on stacks is that it's not clear what you're doing.
>>
>> Your original post said:
>>
>> I have a few variables I would like to pass from one <?lc..
>> server script to another using a web  browser with an lc
>> server that is not configured to be a cgi server.
>>
>> Since LC Server runs as a CGI, and even if you were using a standalone on the server as a daemon it would still be on the server and not in the client browser, I can't figure out what that sentence means.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Mike,

Yes, I’m hitting lc server script pages directly in the browser though
a web server.

Yes, all of my pages are .lc based.

I looked at the link you suggested for session management.
I put the code exactly as it was to see if the example would
work.  It doesn’t work.  As soon as it gets to "start session”
it gets flagged as an error at that line in the browser.
All I get is the line number in the code for the error.
file “/blah/blah/TestFile2.lc
 row 30, col 1:  (Which is for "start session”)

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 12:15 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah k.  Still not sure what you mean about how its installed, but if you are
> hitting lc server script pages directly in the browser through a web
> server, that part most likely doesn't matter. (otherwise i'm sure you'll
> correct me)
>
> It sounds like you need to use session management.   If all your pages are
> .lc based, you can look at this forum topic
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10787&p=50056&hilit=session#p50034
> for an example of passing information around using session variables.

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Matthias,

Yes, I want to output some information to the user, and other
information remains hidden - where some data is adjusted,
modified, on the third webpage.

No, I’m not looking to redirect to another webpage, although
I have used that technique in the past on other types of
webservers.

I’d rather not have the parameters put into the URL where
the user can see it if possible for security reasons, but
if that’s the only way I suppose I could encrypt it before
passing it through that way.

Thank you for your input!

Rick

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 2:03 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> is the third website just for further processing w/o an output to the user or do you also want to output some information to the user?
>
> case 1
> You could use the http post or get method to pass the parametesr to the 3rd script/website from the 2nd script and return the result then to  the 2nd script.
> Be aware that your 2nd scrip or better said every lc script, needs to do an output, even if it´s just a blank. Otherwise the server returns an error 500
>
> case 2
> If i remember right, put header allows you to redirect. So in your 2nd script/website after you´ve done whatever you could use put header to redirect using put header:
>
> something like this
> put "http://yoursite.com?param1&param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame>" into tURL
> put  header "Status: 301”
> put header "Location:" && tURL
> put “redirecting…”   — i am not sure if this last line is still needed, but in older versions of lcServer it was.
>

> Matthias

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode

> Am 07.04.2017 um 18:21 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Yes, I want to output some information to the user, and other
> information remains hidden - where some data is adjusted,
> modified, on the third webpage.
>
> No, I’m not looking to redirect to another webpage, although
> I have used that technique in the past on other types of
> webservers.

So then you could post the parameters from 2nd script/webpage  to the 3rd webpage/script (post myData to URL destinationURL) and  then output the result or what ever the 3rd script/webpage returns.

This way you do not need to pass the parameters to the url.

> I’d rather not have the parameters put into the URL where
> the user can see it if possible for security reasons, but
> if that’s the only way I suppose I could encrypt it before
> passing it through that way.

> Thank you for your input!
>
> Rick
>

>> On Apr 7, 2017, at 2:03 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> is the third website just for further processing w/o an output to the user or do you also want to output some information to the user?
>>
>> case 1
>> You could use the http post or get method to pass the parametesr to the 3rd script/website from the 2nd script and return the result then to  the 2nd script.
>> Be aware that your 2nd scrip or better said every lc script, needs to do an output, even if it´s just a blank. Otherwise the server returns an error 500
>>
>> case 2
>> If i remember right, put header allows you to redirect. So in your 2nd script/website after you´ve done whatever you could use put header to redirect using put header:
>>
>> something like this
>> put "http://yoursite.com?param1&param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame> <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame>>" into tURL
>> put  header "Status: 301”
>> put header "Location:" && tURL
>> put “redirecting…”   — i am not sure if this last line is still needed, but in older versions of lcServer it was.
>>

>> Matthias

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Ok. The problem with "start session" is most likely trying to write the
session file to a place without write permissions.  Make sure you set the
sessionsavepath to a place you can write to.

Having said that.. I can't make it work.  I can get past start session, all
the way to stop session, no trouble, but the session variables aren't
populated on start session.  (this is with on-rev most recent installed
version of lc server I assume)
No errors, just.. doesn't work.  The session file is created, I can grab
the sessionid etc, but the session array isn't actually loaded.

I simplified as much as possible to try and figure out WHY it won't work
now. If anyone have ideas, i'd appreciate a pointer.

Heres the code...

<?lc
set the sessionSavePath to the defaultfolder -- saving session stuff to the
same dir as the .lc

start session
-- start the session. If you don't do this BEFORE your if check,
$_SESSION["counter"] will always be empty
if $_SESSION["counter"] is empty then
   put 1 into $_SESSION["counter"] -- give initial value if necessary
end if

put "Session counter=" & $_SESSION["counter"] & "<br>"

  add 1 to $_SESSION["counter"]
  put "Incrementing Session counter:" & $_SESSION["counter"]
-- increments and displays the future counter

stop session

?>

On each load, it should increment the current session. So the first hit it
should say 1, and 2 for the future. Then 2 and 3, 3 and 4 4 and 5...
As I said the sessionid file is created as expected (with 4 bytes in it)
but the counter value doesn't appear in the session variables upon start
using like it should.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Am 07.04.2017 um 18:21 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > Yes, I want to output some information to the user, and other
> > information remains hidden - where some data is adjusted,
> > modified, on the third webpage.
> >
> > No, I’m not looking to redirect to another webpage, although
> > I have used that technique in the past on other types of
> > webservers.
> >

> So then you could post the parameters from 2nd script/webpage  to the 3rd
> webpage/script (post myData to URL destinationURL) and  then output the
> result or what ever the 3rd script/webpage returns.
>
> This way you do not need to pass the parameters to the url.
>
> > I’d rather not have the parameters put into the URL where
> > the user can see it if possible for security reasons, but
> > if that’s the only way I suppose I could encrypt it before
> > passing it through that way.
>

> > Thank you for your input!
> >
> > Rick
> >

> >> On Apr 7, 2017, at 2:03 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> is the third website just for further processing w/o an output to the
> user or do you also want to output some information to the user?
> >>
> >> case 1
> >> You could use the http post or get method to pass the parametesr to the
> 3rd script/website from the 2nd script and return the result then to  the
> 2nd script.
> >> Be aware that your 2nd scrip or better said every lc script, needs to
> do an output, even if it´s just a blank. Otherwise the server returns an
> error 500
> >>
> >> case 2
> >> If i remember right, put header allows you to redirect. So in your 2nd
> script/website after you´ve done whatever you could use put header to
> redirect using put header:
> >>
> >> something like this
> >> put "http://yoursite.com?param1&param2&parame <
> http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame> <http://yoursite.com/?param1&
> param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame>>" into tURL
> >> put  header "Status: 301”
> >> put header "Location:" && tURL
> >> put “redirecting…”   — i am not sure if this last line is still needed,
> but in older versions of lcServer it was.
> >>

> >> Matthias

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Matthias,

Yes, that was what I was trying to do with no luck getting that working.
I can get it to work from a client-side stack without any issue, but
when I try to move that code into a .lc web script page it won’t work.
So, that’s why I decided I’d better ask what others are doing to pass
information along.

Thanks,

Rick

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So then you could post the parameters from 2nd script/webpage  to the 3rd webpage/script (post myData to URL destinationURL) and  then output the result or what ever the 3rd script/webpage returns.
>
> This way you do not need to pass the parameters to the url.

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Mike,

Well I’m glad to see I’m not alone here in not
being able to get “start session” to work.
Now we can enjoy being in the soup together!  LOL

Rick

> [...]
>>> if that’s the only way I suppose I could encrypt it before
>>> passing it through that way.
>>

>>> Thank you for your input!
>>>
>>> Rick

>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

>> user or do you also want to output some information to the user?

>> 3rd script/website from the 2nd script and return the result then to  the
>> 2nd script.
>> do an output, even if it´s just a blank. Otherwise the server returns an
>> error 500

>> script/website after you´ve done whatever you could use put header to
>> redirect using put header:

>> http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame> <http://yoursite.com/?param1&
>> param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame>>" into tURL
>> but in older versions of lcServer it was.

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

Yep. We're suffering from different soup flavors (The permission problem
you're running into.. the need to set the sessionsavepath) vs my soup (it
won't actually load the session variables) but inedible is inedible, no
matter the cause. *sigh*

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> result or what ever the 3rd script/webpage returns.
> >>
> >> This way you do not need to pass the parameters to the url.

> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

> >> user or do you also want to output some information to the user?

> the
> >> 3rd script/website from the 2nd script and return the result then to
> the
> >> 2nd script.
> >> do an output, even if it´s just a blank. Otherwise the server returns an
> >> error 500

> >> script/website after you´ve done whatever you could use put header to
> >> redirect using put header:

> >> http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame> <
> http://yoursite.com/?param1&
> >> param2&parame <http://yoursite.com/?param1&param2&parame>>" into tURL
> needed,
> >> but in older versions of lcServer it was.

Re: html5 feature list anywhere? sqlite? local file access?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Dr. Hawkins,

I didn’t see that anyone answered your question yet so
I thought I’d take a stab at it.  Others can please feel
free to correct me if my information is too old or whatever.

HTML5 as I understand it in it’s current form is still
considered “experimental” according to the LiveCode
team.  It is not able to interact with things outside of
itself like external databases, files, etc.  The new
Java Native Interface available in LC version 9.0.0 DP 6
and later maybe able to let you communicate via Java
with external databases.  I haven’t played around with
that version yet to see if it works or not.

HTML5 will work for creating self-contained stack apps
which don’t require any external access to files or databases.
It will allow you to have your users download the stack/app
through the web-browser, and then run the app in the
browser, but the app then resides on the client side
of things and any information you need is internal
only for the stack/app.

For me it made more sense to just have different versions
of my stack available for download for whatever platforms
my users need.  I have one for Mac, one for Windows, etc.
That way my stack app has the full functionality of LC, and
it can talk to whatever external files or databases I want it
to access.

I hope that helps!

Rick

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am trying unsuccessfully to see what the feature list is for html5, and
> what, if anything, has been omitted.
>
> In particular, is SQLite still built in? (if not, I'd be dead in the water)
>
> Can things be saved to local files, and read back from them?  (not much
> point in creating a document that can't be saved, and need to get the
> license key and other preferences).
>
> ANd is the performance adequate for an application-sized project, as
> opposed to app-sized?
>
> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

prothero--- via use-livecode
If you're interested in trying session variables again, I got word back
that the issue I was having is fixed in 8.1.4 rc1 and it does indeed solve
it. (hoping on-rev updates soon)  The newer version also solves the error
you were having (which required using sessionsavepath as a workaround)
I have a very simple page set up on digitalocea (short term) at
http://104.236.179.13/test.lc if you want to see it working.

The script i'm using is:

<?lc

start session

if $_SESSION["counter"] is empty then
   put 1 into $_SESSION["counter"]
end if

put "Session counter=" & $_SESSION["counter"] & "<br>"
-- same here, puts the current counter

  add 1 to $_SESSION["counter"]
  put "Incrementing Session counter:" & $_SESSION["counter"]
-- increments and displays the future counter
put "<br> The session id is " & the sessionid
stop session

put "<br>" & the version
put "<br>" & shell("uname -a")

?>

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> >  add 1 to $_SESSION["counter"]
>> >  put "Incrementing Session counter:" & $_SESSION["counter"]
>> > -- increments and displays the future counter
>> >
>> > stop session
>> >
>> > ?>
>> >

>> > On each load, it should increment the current session. So the first hit
>> it
>> > should say 1, and 2 for the future. Then 2 and 3, 3 and 4 4 and 5...
>> > As I said the sessionid file is created as expected (with 4 bytes in it)
>> > but the counter value doesn't appear in the session variables upon start
>> > using like it should.

>> 3rd

>> the
>> the
>> an

>> 2nd

>> http://yoursite.com/?param1&
>> needed,

Re: Passing Variables in a non-CGI LC Server?

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Rick