Quantcast

http calls blocked by virus protection?

I have a user who seems to have a good Internet connection, but my Livecode application can’t connect to a remote server using http.

He’s on Windows. Is it possible that some virus protection software blocks such connections?

He’s an older user, far away, and I really don’t know what he has installed.

Peter Bogdanoff

Re: http calls blocked by virus protection?

I am not sure what sort of connection you are doing to your server, but
both OSX's Firewall and Windows Firewall will try to block *incoming*
connections to an app (for example, if you have your app listening for
an incoming connection using the 'accept' command. Outbound standard
http connections on port 80 should NOT be block - BY DEFAULT - but I
just ran into a customer at a commercial research site where the company
block ALL internet connections except those to pre-approved web sites,
so some places have really extreme internet security practices.

 On 5/5/2017 12:05 AM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a user who seems to have a good Internet connection, but my Livecode application can’t connect to a remote server using http.
>
> He’s on Windows. Is it possible that some virus protection software blocks such connections?
>
> He’s an older user, far away, and I really don’t know what he has installed.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff

Re: http calls blocked by virus protection?

I should have added that WHEN windows firewall does block something, a
message typically appears warning the user, so if that is what is
happening, your user should be seeing some sort of error message from
Windows.

On 5/5/2017 7:03 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:

> I am not sure what sort of connection you are doing to your server, but
> both OSX's Firewall and Windows Firewall will try to block *incoming*
> connections to an app (for example, if you have your app listening for
> an incoming connection using the 'accept' command. Outbound standard
> http connections on port 80 should NOT be block - BY DEFAULT - but I
> just ran into a customer at a commercial research site where the company
> block ALL internet connections except those to pre-approved web sites,
> so some places have really extreme internet security practices.
>

>  On 5/5/2017 12:05 AM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a user who seems to have a good Internet connection, but my Livecode application can’t connect to a remote server using http.
>>
>> He’s on Windows. Is it possible that some virus protection software blocks such connections?
>>
>> He’s an older user, far away, and I really don’t know what he has installed.
>>
>> Peter Bogdanoff

Re: http calls blocked by virus protection?

It seems that your application is blocked by a firewall. Either the Windows firewall or maybe a 3rd party security software.
But it is unlikely that the security  software just blocks your app w/o having asked at least once if the user wants to allow outgoing connections for that app.
Some settings in the security software might suppress any further notification that the software was blocked. Your user has to check the firewall settings if the app is listed a permanently locked and if so to change that settings.

In F-Secure Client security for example this can be found under Settings/Network Connections/Application Control. Unfortunately each manufacture has its own place where they store that settings.

Regards,

Matthias

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > Outbound standard http connections on port 80 should NOT be block -
 > BY DEFAULT - but I just ran into a customer at a commercial research
 > site where the company block ALL internet connections except those
 > to pre-approved web sites, so some places have really extreme
 > internet security practices.

Seems perhaps overkill for a research company to block most of the web. ;)

Re: http calls blocked by virus protection?

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:06 PM Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a user who seems to have a good Internet connection, but my
> Livecode application can’t connect to a remote server using http.
>
> He’s on Windows. Is it possible that some virus protection software blocks
> such connections?
>
> He’s an older user, far away, and I really don’t know what he has
> installed.

Proxy servers can cause problems for libURL. I would suggest asking if his
computer is configured to use a proxy server.

--
Trevor DeVore

Re: http calls blocked by virus protection?

Thank you all; this gives me a start!

Peter

On 5/5/2017 10:29 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Paul Dupuis wrote:
>
> > Outbound standard http connections on port 80 should NOT be block -
> > BY DEFAULT - but I just ran into a customer at a commercial research
> > site where the company block ALL internet connections except those
> > to pre-approved web sites, so some places have really extreme
> > internet security practices.
>
> Seems perhaps overkill for a research company to block most of the
> web. ;)

Just a tad bit, and yet, I could email the customer - at their company
email address, attachments including an EXE. Someone at this place did
not think their IT security through at all =-O

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > On 5/5/2017 10:29 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> Paul Dupuis wrote:
 >>
 >> > Outbound standard http connections on port 80 should NOT be block -
 >> > BY DEFAULT - but I just ran into a customer at a commercial
 >> > research site where the company block ALL internet connections
 >> > except those to pre-approved web sites, so some places have really
 >> > extreme internet security practices.
 >>
 >> Seems perhaps overkill for a research company to block most of the
 >> web. ;)
 >>
 > Just a tad bit, and yet, I could email the customer - at their company
 > email address, attachments including an EXE. Someone at this place did
 > not think their IT security through at all =-O

OMG.

Tip for anyone here looking to expand their careers, or help young
people get started:  the future is in security.

Hundreds of thousands of jobs currently unfillable for lack of available
talent.

Consider CSSP or other relevant certifications, and the world is your
oyster.

This is the dangerous climate we're in in the meantime:

<http://www.darkreading.com/endpoint/cybersecurity-training-nonexistent-at-one-third-of-smbs-/d/d-id/1328766>