iOS Browser Widget and PDFs?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Hi All!

I have little app that I’m using track our department quotes/purchases etc. It pulls the info out of a mySQl db. I have an issue with browser widget displaying the pdf quotes on iOS. The app pulls the PDF out of mysql via:
Put "SELECT attachment FROM quotes WHERE name ='" & jQuote & "'" into btSQL

put revDataFromQuery(tab, cr, gConnectionID, btSQL) into btData

put base64Decode(btData) into vtemp

put specialFolderPath("engine") & "/" & jQuote into vPath

open file vPath for binary write

write vtemp to file vPath

close file vPath

I then have to replace the spaces in the name of the pdf file with a:

replace space with "%20" in vPath
set the url of widget "quoteBrowser" of cd id 1067 to "file:" & vPath

replace "%20" with space in vPath

set the script button "Print Quote" of cd id 1067 to "on mouseUp" & return & "Launch url " & quote & "file:" & vPath & quote & return & "end mouseUp"

Again this works fine on my Mac and on the iOS simulator. The PDF shows up just fine in the browser widget.

However, when I build the app, and try it out on he actual iPad, it does not. I just get the blank white widget.

Any suggestions on what I might try?

Thank you!

Re: iOS Browser Widget and PDFs?

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I had it “Answer" me the path to the pdf in the iOS app on the iPad and it reports back:

/var/containerns/Bundle?Application?CA0B0721-80F7-4B24-92C4-0B156D/PTP System.app/Teacher Laptop Replacement Quote (19).dpf

This should be the path that the - set url of the widget “quoteBrowser” - is set to on the , correct?

Thank you!

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 3:19 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All!
>
> I have little app that I’m using track our department quotes/purchases etc. It pulls the info out of a mySQl db. I have an issue with browser widget displaying the pdf quotes on iOS. The app pulls the PDF out of mysql via:
> Put "SELECT attachment FROM quotes WHERE name ='" & jQuote & "'" into btSQL
>
> put revDataFromQuery(tab, cr, gConnectionID, btSQL) into btData
>
> put base64Decode(btData) into vtemp
>
> put specialFolderPath("engine") & "/" & jQuote into vPath
>
> open file vPath for binary write
>
> write vtemp to file vPath
>
> close file vPath
>
> I then have to replace the spaces in the name of the pdf file with a:
>
> replace space with "%20" in vPath
> set the url of widget "quoteBrowser" of cd id 1067 to "file:" & vPath
>
> replace "%20" with space in vPath
>
> set the script button "Print Quote" of cd id 1067 to "on mouseUp" & return & "Launch url " & quote & "file:" & vPath & quote & return & "end mouseUp"
>

> Again this works fine on my Mac and on the iOS simulator. The PDF shows up just fine in the browser widget.
>
> However, when I build the app, and try it out on he actual iPad, it does not. I just get the blank white widget.
>
> Any suggestions on what I might try?
>
> Thank you!

Re: iOS Browser Widget and PDFs? SOLVED

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
FWIW…

The issue was related to the specialFolderPath. When I was testing this aspect of the app I had it point to specialFolderPath(“Desktop").  Naturally, on the iPad I changed it to specialFolderPath(“engine”) thinking that would cover the iOS app. Nope. Apparently you can’t save files (pdfs) to the “engine” folder.

I changed it to specialFolderpath(“Documents”) and everything seems to be good now.

Cheers!

John Patten
SUSD

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 3:32 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had it “Answer" me the path to the pdf in the iOS app on the iPad and it reports back:
>
> /var/containerns/Bundle?Application?CA0B0721-80F7-4B24-92C4-0B156D/PTP System.app/Teacher Laptop Replacement Quote (19).dpf
>
> This should be the path that the - set url of the widget “quoteBrowser” - is set to on the , correct?
>
> Thank you!
>

>> On Jul 6, 2017, at 3:19 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I have little app that I’m using track our department quotes/purchases etc. It pulls the info out of a mySQl db. I have an issue with browser widget displaying the pdf quotes on iOS. The app pulls the PDF out of mysql via:
>> Put "SELECT attachment FROM quotes WHERE name ='" & jQuote & "'" into btSQL
>>
>> put revDataFromQuery(tab, cr, gConnectionID, btSQL) into btData
>>
>> put base64Decode(btData) into vtemp
>>
>> put specialFolderPath("engine") & "/" & jQuote into vPath
>>
>> open file vPath for binary write
>>
>> write vtemp to file vPath
>>
>> close file vPath
>>
>> I then have to replace the spaces in the name of the pdf file with a:
>>
>> replace space with "%20" in vPath
>> set the url of widget "quoteBrowser" of cd id 1067 to "file:" & vPath
>>
>> replace "%20" with space in vPath
>>
>> set the script button "Print Quote" of cd id 1067 to "on mouseUp" & return & "Launch url " & quote & "file:" & vPath & quote & return & "end mouseUp"
>>

>> Again this works fine on my Mac and on the iOS simulator. The PDF shows up just fine in the browser widget.
>>
>> However, when I build the app, and try it out on he actual iPad, it does not. I just get the blank white widget.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I might try?
>>
>> Thank you!

Re: iOS Browser Widget and PDFs? SOLVED

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I think you are safe using special folder path "documents" on all platforms.

Sent from my iPhone