iOS - adding to the Info.plist

Ben Rubinstein
(I'm getting my toes wet in LC development for iOS again, after staying out of
the sharky waters for a couple of years...)

Is there currently a 'clean' way to add something to the Info.plist for a new
iOS app built by LC?

So far the best I've managed is to edit the template Info.plist
("Settings.plist") in the bundle of the LiveCode app, before building it;
which is obviously fine as long as I'm only working on one app, but liable to
lead me astray when I move on.

Is there a better way?

If there isn't, could someone tell me what would be wrong with the following
(obviously if one wanted to do tricky modifications of the existing items in
the plist it would be more complex, but at least for my immediate requirement
I just want to add a key)...

Looking at how this works, it appears that we could
a) add an extra "${ADDITIONAL-PLIST_SETTINGS}" placeholder to the settings file

b) add one line to revsaveasiosstandalone.livecodescript/revCreateMobilePlist,
e.g.
        replace "${ADDITIONAL-PLIST_SETTINGS}" with pSettings["ios,custom plist
fragment"] in pPlist

and then it would be up to the developer to add a syntactically correct value
in the cRevStandaloneSettings of their stack (and for any stack without it,
the placeholder would just be replaced with empty).

Apart from the fact that a better solution would probably not add new keys to
cRevStandaloneSettings not known about by the UI, this seems so simple that I
imagine that either there's something dreadfully wrong with it, or there's
already a better solution which I just haven't managed to locate yet. Either
way, please tell me!

Many thanks,

Ben

Re: iOS - adding to the Info.plist

J. Landman Gay
On 10/29/2015 11:55 AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Is there currently a 'clean' way to add something to the Info.plist for
> a new iOS app built by LC?

Back in April, Monte submitted a pull request to allow us to provide a
custom manifest for Android builds. I don't know whether that includes
iOS pLists too, but if it doesn't maybe it could be added.

We currently have the ability to include our own pList for OS X builds.
Maybe the same thing could be done for iOS.

Re: iOS - adding to the Info.plist

Monte Goulding

> On 30 Oct 2015, at 6:54 am, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Back in April, Monte submitted a pull request to allow us to provide a custom manifest for Android builds. I don't know whether that includes iOS pLists too, but if it doesn't maybe it could be added.
>
> We currently have the ability to include our own pList for OS X builds. Maybe the same thing could be done for iOS.

Yes it does now as I went back and added it for iOS too. Copy the template plist from out of LC. Edit to your heart’s content. Name it Info.plist and add it to copy files.

Cheers

Monte

On 29/10/2015 20:18, Monte Goulding wrote:

>> On 30 Oct 2015, at 6:54 am, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Back in April, Monte submitted a pull request to allow us to provide a custom manifest for Android builds. I don't know whether that includes iOS pLists too, but if it doesn't maybe it could be added.
>>
>> We currently have the ability to include our own pList for OS X builds. Maybe the same thing could be done for iOS.
>
> Yes it does now as I went back and added it for iOS too. Copy the template plist from out of LC. Edit to your heart’s content. Name it Info.plist and add it to copy files.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Aha!  Superb, thanks Monte.

Is this documented anywhere, do you know?

thanks,

Ben

Re: iOS - adding to the Info.plist

Monte Goulding

> On 30 Oct 2015, at 9:29 am, Ben Rubinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is this documented anywhere, do you know?

Not that I’m aware of. It’s more of a user guide thing and at the moment those aren’t in the repo for contributors to edit. Well at least they weren’t (LC 8 has guides) but there’s currently no guide for deployment other than HTML.

Cheers

Monte

On 10/29/2015 3:18 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

>>> On 30 Oct 2015, at 6:54 am, J. Landman
>>> Gay<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Back in April, Monte submitted a pull request to allow us to
>>> provide a custom manifest for Android builds. I don't know
>>> whether that includes iOS pLists too, but if it doesn't maybe it
>>> could be added.
>>>
>>> We currently have the ability to include our own pList for OS X
>>> builds. Maybe the same thing could be done for iOS.
> Yes it does now as I went back and added it for iOS too. Copy the
> template plist from out of LC. Edit to your heart’s content. Name it
> Info.plist and add it to copy files.

Whadda guy. We're lucky.