iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Hi all

We're putting on another LiveCode workshop on Saturday 30th May in Plymouth UK!

From our last workshop I had people asking that the focus of the next workshop should be server - but others were asking for a mobile theme - and in the end I decided we should just about be able to do both! Plus a bit of desktop thrown in...

The workshop will cover two main stages:

Stage One:
- make a basic messaging app that connects to a simple LiveCode web service and deploy this to
  - desktop
  - Android
  - iOS
Stage Two:
- make a replica of the above web service (hosted on my on-rev account) which each participant can then customise

After that we'll all be very tired, but hopefully also happy in the knowledge that we will have used LiveCode in every one of its environments (except for Raspberry Pi).

More information on the day here http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Eve ... 221819181/

It would be lovely to see lots of you there (although if you can't one of the things we're going to try is streaming at least part of the day)

For more on our previous workshop see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23486

For the same announcement on this coming workshop in the forum see this thread: http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24297
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Ach - sorry everyone, two of the above links don't work - here they are again (watch out for line-breaks)

More information on the day here http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/221819181/

For more on our previous workshop see this thread http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23486
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Wprothero
Dave,
This looks like a very nice event! I'd join in, but California is a bit of a distance and it's too long a bike ride for me. If any of your resources or courses get online, I'd be interested.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On May 14, 2015, at 1:53 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ach - sorry everyone, two of the above links don't work - here they are again
> (watch out for line-breaks)
>
> More information on the day here
> http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/221819181/
>
> For more on our previous workshop see this thread
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23486
>
>
>
>
> -----
> "The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/iOS-Android-App-in-a-Day-workshop-and-much-more-tp4692315p4692316.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Http://es.earthednet.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Hi Bill

One of the things we're experimenting with this weekend is setting up streaming from the venue - and if we get it working we'll attempt to stream at least part of the workshop - so if you in California get up really really early you can take part :)

As regards materials, yes I plan to make them available (have to finish writing them first...)

Kind regards

Dave
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

David Bovill-3
I hope to be able to get down there... If you want any help teaching
something send us some info off-list?
On Fri, 15 May 2015 at 12:53, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> One of the things we're experimenting with this weekend is setting up
> streaming from the venue - and if we get it working we'll attempt to stream
> at least part of the workshop - so if you in California get up really
> really
> early you can take part :)
>
> As regards materials, yes I plan to make them available (have to finish
> writing them first...)
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> -----
> "The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits." -
> Albert Einstein
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/iOS-Android-App-in-a-Day-workshop-and-much-more-tp4692315p4692362.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Wow! That's excellent news David!

Actually there is one other experienced LiveCoder who may be coming down to Plymouth as well (won't say who it it until she/he confirms)

I'll try contacting you off-list now...

PS: this other LiveCoder told me that Heather apparently has knowledge of schools in the region who use LiveCode, I'm emailed her and am hoping she'll pass on their details to me so I can see they have any teachers and/or students wishing to participate...

Kind regards

Dave
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Wprothero
In reply to this post by Dave Kilroy
Dave,
That's great! I'll look forward to looking over the materials. I spend so much time over the niggling details, so working examples help a lot.
Best regards,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On May 15, 2015, at 3:36 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill
>
> One of the things we're experimenting with this weekend is setting up
> streaming from the venue - and if we get it working we'll attempt to stream
> at least part of the workshop - so if you in California get up really really
> early you can take part :)
>
> As regards materials, yes I plan to make them available (have to finish
> writing them first...)
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> -----
> "The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/iOS-Android-App-in-a-Day-workshop-and-much-more-tp4692315p4692362.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Http://es.earthednet.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Yay it looks like we'll have Dixie coming along on the day! He and I will discuss what we'll get him to do (can't let all that talent go unused) and will report back here what his section in day will cover...

ALSO

Its looking like we'll have David Bovill coming along too! Another yay! I also don't know what we'll get him to do, but we also can't let that talent to go unused - and will also report back here...

Kind regards

Dave

Meetup URL: http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/221819181/

PS: the workshop fee of £20 goes to venue costs and investing in the MESH maker in Plymouth - unfortunately I get none of it :(
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
It's looking like we'll have John Dixon and David Bovill coming along on the 30th.

This is great news as they are both experienced LiveCoders with a list of projects as long as your arm - they've both (more or less) agreed to doing a slot where they talk about and/or demo some stuff...

I'm still hoping we'll get the messaging app done on the day but now with John and David we can have a 'wider' less intense day :)
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Hi all

OK I've got the first part (GUI & local messaging) prepared for the workshop - mostly mercilessly copied from a demo stack Ben Beaumont used at last year's conference to show off LiveCode 7.

The next bit is to sort out the web service (either using text files or a mySQL database - haven't decided yet)...

Kind regards

Dave
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iOS & Android App in a Day workshop (and much more)

Dave Kilroy
Hi all

I wrote a quick report on the day here: http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24297&p=126665#p126665 (v few numbers but good fun...)

And have released an intro video to the app and Learning Resources for it here:
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24465&p=126667#p126667

Kind regards

Dave
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham