iOS and video mirroring

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Those of us who use iOS devices to watch video sometimes want to see stuff on a big screen. One way of doing this is to buy a (very expensive) Apple Lightning to HDMi connector and connect your device (iPhone or iPad) to an HD TV using an HDMI cable. Bingo! Only sometimes it doesn’t work… it’s OK for example with Netflix,  but there are other apps (NowTV in the UK for example) that report that the connection is not allowed. This seems to imply that Apple have an API for this feature that is somehow restricted - maybe you have to pay Apple to implement such a link. I was thinking of doing something like this in LC, but I need to understand this restriction first.

Is there anyone here that understands Apple’s arcane rules sufficiently to explain what’s going on?

TIA

Graham

Re: iOS and video mirroring

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
It is much more simple... it is up to the app author. If they don’t want you to display on an external screen they disable the ability.

I have my internet through the cable company. They have an app that shows live local stations. They don’t allow it to be shown on a big screen unless you subscribe to the cable service.

Thanks,
Brian
On Jul 17, 2018, 9:48 AM -0500, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Those of us who use iOS devices to watch video sometimes want to see stuff on a big screen. One way of doing this is to buy a (very expensive) Apple Lightning to HDMi connector and connect your device (iPhone or iPad) to an HD TV using an HDMI cable. Bingo! Only sometimes it doesn’t work… it’s OK for example with Netflix, but there are other apps (NowTV in the UK for example) that report that the connection is not allowed. This seems to imply that Apple have an API for this feature that is somehow restricted - maybe you have to pay Apple to implement such a link. I was thinking of doing something like this in LC, but I need to understand this restriction first.
>
> Is there anyone here that understands Apple’s arcane rules sufficiently to explain what’s going on?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

Re: iOS and video mirroring

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
HDMI itself has DRM, and I can imagine there are cables that work for non-DRM content, but won’t work for DRM content.

Here’s an article on the issue, and some suggested fixes:

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/