iOS deployment question

Wprothero
I’m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
“Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.”

Where should I look? I’ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle  of the provisioning profile to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile setting, and I set the internal App ID to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.

I’m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.

Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was a list of possible complaints the standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least some diagnostic things one could do.

Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
I can see, after Googling around a bit, that getting the certificates signed and set up correctly is quite complicated, with lots of ways of going wrong. With out-dated certificates, old provisioning profiles, etc.

I wonder if there is a way to make this more robust and transparent. Like some app that will go through the settings, certificates, and provisioning profiles and give a diagnostic. Or perhaps, could the Livecode diagnostics give more information to help figure out what’s going wrong? This seems like a real need to me.

Maybe it’s too much to hope for. It takes me a day or two of hair-pulling to get this set up after being away from making iOS apps for awhile.

Best,
Bill

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
> “Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.”
>
> Where should I look? I’ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle  of the provisioning profile to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile setting, and I set the internal App ID to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.
>
> I’m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
>
> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was a list of possible complaints the standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least some diagnostic things one could do.

> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero, Ph.D.
> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
Never mind…… Got it to work.
Bill

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 8:17 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can see, after Googling around a bit, that getting the certificates signed and set up correctly is quite complicated, with lots of ways of going wrong. With out-dated certificates, old provisioning profiles, etc.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to make this more robust and transparent. Like some app that will go through the settings, certificates, and provisioning profiles and give a diagnostic. Or perhaps, could the Livecode diagnostics give more information to help figure out what’s going wrong? This seems like a real need to me.
>
> Maybe it’s too much to hope for. It takes me a day or two of hair-pulling to get this set up after being away from making iOS apps for awhile.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
>> “Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.”
>>
>> Where should I look? I’ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle  of the provisioning profile to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile setting, and I set the internal App ID to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.
>>
>> I’m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
>>
>> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was a list of possible complaints the standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least some diagnostic things one could do.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero, Ph.D.
>> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Graham Samuel-4
Care to write it up, William?

AFAICS, coding in LiveCode is a trouble-free activity compared to deployment on iOS (or indeed on LiveCode Server, Android etc). Arcane rules, certificates, permissions… even the vocabulary seems to have been re-invented to confuse the honest programmer. Of course, that’s just my view, and I am not young. Still, it seems to me that one of the biggest challenges for LiveCode is to make the whole process, from having the idea for the app all the way to successfully publishing it, a journey with no u-turns, dead ends, or deep frustration at lack of progress.

Just my two eurocents

Graham

> On 23 Mar 2016, at 04:34, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Never mind…… Got it to work.
> Bill
>
>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 8:17 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can see, after Googling around a bit, that getting the certificates signed and set up correctly is quite complicated, with lots of ways of going wrong. With out-dated certificates, old provisioning profiles, etc.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a way to make this more robust and transparent. Like some app that will go through the settings, certificates, and provisioning profiles and give a diagnostic. Or perhaps, could the Livecode diagnostics give more information to help figure out what’s going wrong? This seems like a real need to me.
>>
>> Maybe it’s too much to hope for. It takes me a day or two of hair-pulling to get this set up after being away from making iOS apps for awhile.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
>>> “Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.”
>>>
>>> Where should I look? I’ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle  of the provisioning profile to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile setting, and I set the internal App ID to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.
>>>
>>> I’m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was a list of possible complaints the standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least some diagnostic things one could do.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William Prothero, Ph.D.
>>> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
Graham,
I can take some notes. What I did to fix it was to delete all my developer certificates from my keychain and re-activate them. That was after I realized that the reference to "identity" actually meant that it couldn't find a valid certificate. Now it seems obvious, but didn't at first. I remember some postings a while back re the need to get a new certificate. In the process, I mucked up my entire keychain and had to recover it using the wonderful "Time Machine".

Now I'm fiddling with the provisioning profile to make its setup match with the standalone settings for iOS. One thing I see as I fiddle, is multiple provisioning profile in the drop down menu on iOS settings. Each new change and download on the Apple dev site creates a new one and the name doesn't change unless I do in in the apple developer website. Haven't figured out a way to delete old ones yet, but that will come.

I'm just giving these details of my thought so that if somebody decides to write up this, with all it's messiness, they might see what newbies go thru. I'm not a newby anymore, but I only work with iOS occasionally and the process seems to always be painful.

I'll take some notes and if they seem relevant, I'll post them somewhere.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:46 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Care to write it up, William?
>
> AFAICS, coding in LiveCode is a trouble-free activity compared to deployment on iOS (or indeed on LiveCode Server, Android etc). Arcane rules, certificates, permissions… even the vocabulary seems to have been re-invented to confuse the honest programmer. Of course, that’s just my view, and I am not young. Still, it seems to me that one of the biggest challenges for LiveCode is to make the whole process, from having the idea for the app all the way to successfully publishing it, a journey with no u-turns, dead ends, or deep frustration at lack of progress.
>
> Just my two eurocents
>
> Graham
>
>> On 23 Mar 2016, at 04:34, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Never mind…… Got it to work.
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 8:17 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can see, after Googling around a bit, that getting the certificates signed and set up correctly is quite complicated, with lots of ways of going wrong. With out-dated certificates, old provisioning profiles, etc.
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is a way to make this more robust and transparent. Like some app that will go through the settings, certificates, and provisioning profiles and give a diagnostic. Or perhaps, could the Livecode diagnostics give more information to help figure out what’s going wrong? This seems like a real need to me.
>>>
>>> Maybe it’s too much to hope for. It takes me a day or two of hair-pulling to get this set up after being away from making iOS apps for awhile.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
I’m wondering if there is a way to smooth out this error for the user.

When I try to load my app onto my iPhone for testing, I get the following message from XCode:

T"he entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).”

I’m wondering if there is a way for Livecode to provide more diagnostic information about the validity of the provisioning profile. The message above from XCode doesn’t give much help.

Best,
Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 7:35 AM, Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Graham,
> I can take some notes. What I did to fix it was to delete all my developer certificates from my keychain and re-activate them. That was after I realized that the reference to "identity" actually meant that it couldn't find a valid certificate. Now it seems obvious, but didn't at first. I remember some postings a while back re the need to get a new certificate. In the process, I mucked up my entire keychain and had to recover it using the wonderful "Time Machine".
>
> Now I'm fiddling with the provisioning profile to make its setup match with the standalone settings for iOS. One thing I see as I fiddle, is multiple provisioning profile in the drop down menu on iOS settings. Each new change and download on the Apple dev site creates a new one and the name doesn't change unless I do in in the apple developer website. Haven't figured out a way to delete old ones yet, but that will come.
>
> I'm just giving these details of my thought so that if somebody decides to write up this, with all it's messiness, they might see what newbies go thru. I'm not a newby anymore, but I only work with iOS occasionally and the process seems to always be painful.
>
> I'll take some notes and if they seem relevant, I'll post them somewhere.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org
>
>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:46 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Care to write it up, William?
>>
>> AFAICS, coding in LiveCode is a trouble-free activity compared to deployment on iOS (or indeed on LiveCode Server, Android etc). Arcane rules, certificates, permissions… even the vocabulary seems to have been re-invented to confuse the honest programmer. Of course, that’s just my view, and I am not young. Still, it seems to me that one of the biggest challenges for LiveCode is to make the whole process, from having the idea for the app all the way to successfully publishing it, a journey with no u-turns, dead ends, or deep frustration at lack of progress.
>>
>> Just my two eurocents
>>
>> Graham
>>
>>> On 23 Mar 2016, at 04:34, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Never mind…… Got it to work.
>>> Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Todd Fabacher
Hello Bill,

Please please if you have any info on the steps of how to submit to  the
OSX Store. We are facing the same problems. I can find almost ZERO info on
what needs to be done to submit the app.

Thanks,

Todd

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <prothero <at> earthednet.org> wrote:
>
> I’m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
> “Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.”
>
> Where should I look? I’ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle  of the provisioning profile to
org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile
setting, and I set the internal App ID to
org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.

> I’m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
>
> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was a list of possible complaints the
standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least
some diagnostic things one could do.

> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero, Ph.D.
> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus
> prothero <at> earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

panagiotis merakos
Hi Bill,

Just a thought:
Could it be the case that you have checked the "Beta version" checkbox in
the standalone application settings for iOS, but you sign the app using a
Development profile?

I think the "Beta version" checkbox has to be used *only* with a
Distribution profile.

Regards,
Panos
--

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 9:44 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> signed and set up correctly is quite complicated, with lots of ways of
> going wrong. With out-dated certificates, old provisioning profiles, etc.

> Like some app that will go through the settings, certificates, and
> provisioning profiles and give a diagnostic. Or perhaps, could the Livecode
> diagnostics give more information to help figure out what’s going wrong?
> This seems like a real need to me.

> hair-pulling to get this set up after being away from making iOS apps for
> awhile.

> profile.”

> bundle  of the provisioning profile to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and
> it shows up in the Profile setting, and I set the internal App ID to
> org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.

> was a list of possible complaints the standalone builder would make, with
> possible solutions, or at least some diagnostic things one could do.

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
Folks:
I’m stuck.  I keep getting the error message:

"The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning profile. (0xE8008016)."

Folks:

So: Is this a problem with the certificate, or with the options I select on the iOS settings in Livecode?
It sounds like it is complaining about the code signing certificate. I have checked, downloaded, tried, to no avail.

I’m stuck. Any comments or direction would  be MUCH appreciated. One problem for me is the jargon that Apple uses doesn’t match up well with the Livecode jargon, so it’s very difficult to tell where to go to figure out what’s going on. Not to mention that the Apple documentation doesn’t always match up with xcode screen.

Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 12:44 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m wondering if there is a way to smooth out this error for the user.
>
> When I try to load my app onto my iPhone for testing, I get the following message from XCode:
>
> T"he entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).”
>
> I’m wondering if there is a way for Livecode to provide more diagnostic information about the validity of the provisioning profile. The message above from XCode doesn’t give much help.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 7:35 AM, Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Graham,
>> I can take some notes. What I did to fix it was to delete all my developer certificates from my keychain and re-activate them. That was after I realized that the reference to "identity" actually meant that it couldn't find a valid certificate. Now it seems obvious, but didn't at first. I remember some postings a while back re the need to get a new certificate. In the process, I mucked up my entire keychain and had to recover it using the wonderful "Time Machine".
>>
>> Now I'm fiddling with the provisioning profile to make its setup match with the standalone settings for iOS. One thing I see as I fiddle, is multiple provisioning profile in the drop down menu on iOS settings. Each new change and download on the Apple dev site creates a new one and the name doesn't change unless I do in in the apple developer website. Haven't figured out a way to delete old ones yet, but that will come.
>>
>> I'm just giving these details of my thought so that if somebody decides to write up this, with all it's messiness, they might see what newbies go thru. I'm not a newby anymore, but I only work with iOS occasionally and the process seems to always be painful.
>>
>> I'll take some notes and if they seem relevant, I'll post them somewhere.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero
>> http://es.earthednet.org
>>
>>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:46 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Care to write it up, William?
>>>
>>> AFAICS, coding in LiveCode is a trouble-free activity compared to deployment on iOS (or indeed on LiveCode Server, Android etc). Arcane rules, certificates, permissions… even the vocabulary seems to have been re-invented to confuse the honest programmer. Of course, that’s just my view, and I am not young. Still, it seems to me that one of the biggest challenges for LiveCode is to make the whole process, from having the idea for the app all the way to successfully publishing it, a journey with no u-turns, dead ends, or deep frustration at lack of progress.
>>>
>>> Just my two eurocents
>>>
>>> Graham

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
Panos:
Thanks for the idea. Nope, beta version isn’t checked.
I’m using a Development profile.

Todd:
Yes, there is a major need for more information and help getting mobile apps through the process. It’s really ugly for newbies. It’s made even more difficult because Apple keeps making changes and even their documentation gets out of date. Mobile development is a major capability of Livecode and it seems that very little attention (or at least insufficient) attention is being given to making it as seamless as the platform promises.

Best,
Bill

> [...]
>> signed and set up correctly is quite complicated, with lots of ways of
>> going wrong. With out-dated certificates, old provisioning profiles, etc.

>> Like some app that will go through the settings, certificates, and
>> provisioning profiles and give a diagnostic. Or perhaps, could the Livecode
>> diagnostics give more information to help figure out what’s going wrong?
>> This seems like a real need to me.

>> hair-pulling to get this set up after being away from making iOS apps for
>> awhile.

>> profile.”

>> bundle  of the provisioning profile to org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and
>> it shows up in the Profile setting, and I set the internal App ID to
>> org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.

>> was a list of possible complaints the standalone builder would make, with
>> possible solutions, or at least some diagnostic things one could do.

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Randy Hengst
I've had that happen when the Internal App ID that I typed into the Standalone Application Settings didn't match what I typed in at Apple. I was off by one capitalization.

be well,
randy
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 4:54 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks:
> I’m stuck.  I keep getting the error message:
>
> "The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning profile. (0xE8008016)."
>
> Folks:
>
> So: Is this a problem with the certificate, or with the options I select on the iOS settings in Livecode?
> It sounds like it is complaining about the code signing certificate. I have checked, downloaded, tried, to no avail.
>
> I’m stuck. Any comments or direction would  be MUCH appreciated. One problem for me is the jargon that Apple uses doesn’t match up well with the Livecode jargon, so it’s very difficult to tell where to go to figure out what’s going on. Not to mention that the Apple documentation doesn’t always match up with xcode screen.
>
> Bill

Re: iOS deployment question

ScottR
This might be a naming issue.  In standalone settings, make sure that the
last item in the entry for Internal App ID matches the app name you set up
in your provisioning profile in Apple's developer portal.  The Internal
App ID should look like this:

com.<yourdomain>.<yourappid>

<yourappid> is the part that needs to match whatever you set up in the
portal.

Also make sure that you have the correct item selected in the  Profile
pulldown.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 3/23/16, 1:54 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>to recover it using the wonderful "Time Machine".
>>>
>>> Now I'm fiddling with the provisioning profile to make its setup match
>>>with the standalone settings for iOS. One thing I see as I fiddle, is
>>>multiple provisioning profile in the drop down menu on iOS settings.
>>>Each new change and download on the Apple dev site creates a new one
>>>and the name doesn't change unless I do in in the apple developer
>>>website. Haven't figured out a way to delete old ones yet, but that
>>>will come.
>>>
>>> I'm just giving these details of my thought so that if somebody
>>>decides to write up this, with all it's messiness, they might see what
>>>newbies go thru. I'm not a newby anymore, but I only work with iOS
>>>occasionally and the process seems to always be painful.
>>>
>>> I'll take some notes and if they seem relevant, I'll post them

Re: iOS deployment question

William Prothero
Folks:
Ok, what I got working was a profile that was named “iOS Team Provisioning Profile”. There was a wildcard version, and a version with my app ID attached. Both worked. The specific profiles I created for the app itself gave the error.

Since this is an app that I will only use myself, on my iPhone, that’s good enough.

I’ll go back and carefully check your suggestions, though Scott. At present, I need some lunch. Been staring at the screen too long.

Best,
Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This might be a naming issue.  In standalone settings, make sure that the
> last item in the entry for Internal App ID matches the app name you set up
> in your provisioning profile in Apple's developer portal.  The Internal
> App ID should look like this:
>
> com.<yourdomain>.<yourappid>
>
> <yourappid> is the part that needs to match whatever you set up in the
> portal.
>
> Also make sure that you have the correct item selected in the  Profile
> pulldown.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>

> On 3/23/16, 1:54 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> Iąm stuck.  I keep getting the error message:
>>
>> "The entitlements specified in your applicationąs Code Signing
>> Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning
>> profile. (0xE8008016)."
>>
>> Folks:
>>
>> So: Is this a problem with the certificate, or with the options I select
>> on the iOS settings in Livecode?
>> It sounds like it is complaining about the code signing certificate. I
>> have checked, downloaded, tried, to no avail.
>>
>> Iąm stuck. Any comments or direction would  be MUCH appreciated. One
>> problem for me is the jargon that Apple uses doesnąt match up well with
>> the Livecode jargon, so itąs very difficult to tell where to go to figure
>> out whatąs going on. Not to mention that the Apple documentation doesnąt
>> always match up with xcode screen.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 12:44 PM, William Prothero
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Iąm wondering if there is a way to smooth out this error for the user.
>>>
>>> When I try to load my app onto my iPhone for testing, I get the
>>> following message from XCode:
>>>
>>> T"he entitlements specified in your applicationąs Code Signing
>>> Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning
>>> profile. (0xE8008016).˛
>>>
>>> Iąm wondering if there is a way for Livecode to provide more diagnostic
>>> information about the validity of the provisioning profile. The message
>>> above from XCode doesnąt give much help.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill

Re: iOS deployment question

William Prothero
Last post on this subject:
I also got it working by changing my provisioning profile to include both iPad and iPhone. Previously I had only checked the iPhone option. But, I guess I must have entered a device description for my iPad too. Hmmmm… what an obtuse system.
Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:23 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks:
> Ok, what I got working was a profile that was named “iOS Team Provisioning Profile”. There was a wildcard version, and a version with my app ID attached. Both worked. The specific profiles I created for the app itself gave the error.
>
> Since this is an app that I will only use myself, on my iPhone, that’s good enough.
>
> I’ll go back and carefully check your suggestions, though Scott. At present, I need some lunch. Been staring at the screen too long.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This might be a naming issue.  In standalone settings, make sure that the
>> last item in the entry for Internal App ID matches the app name you set up
>> in your provisioning profile in Apple's developer portal.  The Internal
>> App ID should look like this:
>>
>> com.<yourdomain>.<yourappid>
>>
>> <yourappid> is the part that needs to match whatever you set up in the
>> portal.
>>
>> Also make sure that you have the correct item selected in the  Profile
>> pulldown.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott Rossi
>> Creative Director
>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>>

>> On 3/23/16, 1:54 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
>> <[hidden email] on behalf of
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>> Iąm stuck.  I keep getting the error message:
>>>
>>> "The entitlements specified in your applicationąs Code Signing
>>> Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning
>>> profile. (0xE8008016)."
>>>
>>> Folks:
>>>
>>> So: Is this a problem with the certificate, or with the options I select
>>> on the iOS settings in Livecode?
>>> It sounds like it is complaining about the code signing certificate. I
>>> have checked, downloaded, tried, to no avail.
>>>
>>> Iąm stuck. Any comments or direction would  be MUCH appreciated. One
>>> problem for me is the jargon that Apple uses doesnąt match up well with
>>> the Livecode jargon, so itąs very difficult to tell where to go to figure
>>> out whatąs going on. Not to mention that the Apple documentation doesnąt
>>> always match up with xcode screen.
>>>
>>> Bill

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
Last post on this subject:
I also got it working by changing my provisioning profile to include both iPad and iPhone. Previously I had only checked the iPhone option. But, I guess I must have entered a device description for my iPad too. Hmmmm… what an obtuse system.
Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:23 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks:
> Ok, what I got working was a profile that was named “iOS Team Provisioning Profile”. There was a wildcard version, and a version with my app ID attached. Both worked. The specific profiles I created for the app itself gave the error.
>
> Since this is an app that I will only use myself, on my iPhone, that’s good enough.
>
> I’ll go back and carefully check your suggestions, though Scott. At present, I need some lunch. Been staring at the screen too long.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This might be a naming issue.  In standalone settings, make sure that the
>> last item in the entry for Internal App ID matches the app name you set up
>> in your provisioning profile in Apple's developer portal.  The Internal
>> App ID should look like this:
>>
>> com.<yourdomain>.<yourappid>
>>
>> <yourappid> is the part that needs to match whatever you set up in the
>> portal.
>>
>> Also make sure that you have the correct item selected in the  Profile
>> pulldown.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott Rossi
>> Creative Director
>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>>

>> On 3/23/16, 1:54 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
>> <[hidden email] on behalf of
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>> Iąm stuck.  I keep getting the error message:
>>>
>>> "The entitlements specified in your applicationąs Code Signing
>>> Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning
>>> profile. (0xE8008016)."
>>>
>>> Folks:
>>>
>>> So: Is this a problem with the certificate, or with the options I select
>>> on the iOS settings in Livecode?
>>> It sounds like it is complaining about the code signing certificate. I
>>> have checked, downloaded, tried, to no avail.
>>>
>>> Iąm stuck. Any comments or direction would  be MUCH appreciated. One
>>> problem for me is the jargon that Apple uses doesnąt match up well with
>>> the Livecode jargon, so itąs very difficult to tell where to go to figure
>>> out whatąs going on. Not to mention that the Apple documentation doesnąt
>>> always match up with xcode screen.
>>>
>>> Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

ScottR
Speaking as someone who took a stab at this
(http://tactilemedia.com/download/How_to_publish_on_iOS_83013.pdf),
it's a major amount of work that almost needs to be a part time job.  Not
only does Apple change details of the process and add features to the
system, but it updates/rearranges the tools and changes the layout of
developer portal.  And once Apple makes changes, LiveCode makes changes to
accommodate them.  So all the screenshots and step by step instructions
you provide easily become out of date.

All of this, in addition to things that just come of nowhere, like the
recent expiration of Apple's Worldwide Developer Certificate, make
documenting the process a demanding effort.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 3/23/16, 1:29 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Todd Fabacher"
wrote:

>Hello Bill,
>
>Please please if you have any info on the steps of how to submit to  the
>OSX Store. We are facing the same problems. I can find almost ZERO info on
>what needs to be done to submit the app.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Todd
>
>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <prothero <at>
>>earthednet.org> wrote:
>>
>> I¹m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
>> ³Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.²
>>
>> Where should I look? I¹ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle
>>of the provisioning profile to
>org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile
>setting, and I set the internal App ID to
>org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.
>>
>> I¹m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
>>
>> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was
>>a list of possible complaints the
>standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least
>some diagnostic things one could do.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: iOS deployment question

beugelaar
Maybe this Chrome extension below is usefull when dealing with provisioning
files.

App IDs are "the herpes of iPhone provisioning". Once you've created one,
you're ...

http://simonwhitaker.github.io/app-id-sanity/

Cheers,
Erik

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Speaking as someone who took a stab at this
> (http://tactilemedia.com/download/How_to_publish_on_iOS_83013.pdf),
> it's a major amount of work that almost needs to be a part time job.  Not
> only does Apple change details of the process and add features to the
> system, but it updates/rearranges the tools and changes the layout of
> developer portal.  And once Apple makes changes, LiveCode makes changes to
> accommodate them.  So all the screenshots and step by step instructions
> you provide easily become out of date.
>
> All of this, in addition to things that just come of nowhere, like the
> recent expiration of Apple's Worldwide Developer Certificate, make
> documenting the process a demanding effort.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>

> On 3/23/16, 1:29 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Todd Fabacher"
> <[hidden email] <javascript:;> on behalf of
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello Bill,
> >
> >Please please if you have any info on the steps of how to submit to  the
> >OSX Store. We are facing the same problems. I can find almost ZERO info on
> >what needs to be done to submit the app.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Todd
> >
> >> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <prothero <at>
> >>earthednet.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I¹m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
> >> ³Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.²
> >>
> >> Where should I look? I¹ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle
> >>of the provisioning profile to
> >org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile
> >setting, and I set the internal App ID to
> >org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.
> >>
> >> I¹m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
> >>
> >> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was
> >>a list of possible complaints the
> >standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least
> >some diagnostic things one could do.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sent from Matwetwe <http://www.about.me/beugelaar>

Re: iOS deployment question

Wprothero
Scott:
Yes, I’ve experienced this. I do think there could be some kind of “advice” document, blog, or something that puts some of the Apple jargon into livecode understandable terms, though. From the XCode error message, I thought the problem was the certificate (wild goose chase) but it was actually a minor detail in the provisioning profile that looked like it had nothing to do with my installation.

Oh well. Thanks for the comments,
Bill

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 3:34 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Speaking as someone who took a stab at this
> (http://tactilemedia.com/download/How_to_publish_on_iOS_83013.pdf),
> it's a major amount of work that almost needs to be a part time job.  Not
> only does Apple change details of the process and add features to the
> system, but it updates/rearranges the tools and changes the layout of
> developer portal.  And once Apple makes changes, LiveCode makes changes to
> accommodate them.  So all the screenshots and step by step instructions
> you provide easily become out of date.
>
> All of this, in addition to things that just come of nowhere, like the
> recent expiration of Apple's Worldwide Developer Certificate, make
> documenting the process a demanding effort.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>

> On 3/23/16, 1:29 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Todd Fabacher"
> <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Bill,
>>
>> Please please if you have any info on the steps of how to submit to  the
>> OSX Store. We are facing the same problems. I can find almost ZERO info on
>> what needs to be done to submit the app.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Todd
>>
>>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:29 PM, William Prothero <prothero <at>
>>> earthednet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I¹m getting an error when I try to build an iOS standalone. It is:
>>> ³Could not find a valid identity to use with the selected iOS profile.²
>>>
>>> Where should I look? I¹ve downloaded a certificate and set the bundle
>>> of the provisioning profile to
>> org.earthednet.wWaterDetective, and it shows up in the Profile
>> setting, and I set the internal App ID to
>> org.earthednet.wWaterDetective.
>>>
>>> I¹m in LC 8 DP 16, using Xcode 6.2.1.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating. It would be really wonderful if, sometime, there was
>>> a list of possible complaints the
>> standalone builder would make, with possible solutions, or at least
>> some diagnostic things one could do.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: iOS deployment question

Ben Rubinstein
FWIW, this really isn't a LiveCode issue.  Back when we were doing a lot of
iOS app development, submission - which should have been a matter of pressing
a few buttons - invariably took many hours of hair tearing - and this in spite
of the fact that we were making new submissions virtually every week; solving
the problems one week didn't stop us having another load of problems the next
week.

When doing development (as opposed to submission) my practise now when I get a
problem in LiveCode is to spend almost no time trying to fix it in LC; instead
jump immediately to a dummy app on Xcode, and make sure I can deploy that
first; mostly I find the same problem there, so can debug it with one less
step in the chain, and when I have that working, go back to LC.

And yes, I long for a hand-holding guide, but I think the problems keep changing.

My 2p

Ben

On 23/03/2016 22:14, William Prothero wrote:
> Last post on this subject:
> I also got it working by changing my provisioning profile to include both iPad and iPhone. Previously I had only checked the iPhone option. But, I guess I must have entered a device description for my iPad too. Hmmmm… what an obtuse system.
> Bill
>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:23 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks:
>> Ok, what I got working was a profile that was named “iOS Team Provisioning Profile”. There was a wildcard version, and a version with my app IDattached. Both worked. The specific profiles I created for the app itself gave
the error.

>> Since this is an app that I will only use myself, on my iPhone, that’s good enough.
>>
>> I’ll go back and carefully check your suggestions, though Scott. At present, I need some lunch. Been staring at the screen too long.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This might be a naming issue.  In standalone settings, make sure that the
>>> last item in the entry for Internal App ID matches the app name you set up
>>> in your provisioning profile in Apple's developer portal.  The Internal
>>> App ID should look like this:
>>>
>>> com.<yourdomain>.<yourappid>
>>>
>>> <yourappid> is the part that needs to match whatever you set up in the
>>> portal.
>>>
>>> Also make sure that you have the correct item selected in the  Profile
>>> pulldown.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Scott Rossi
>>> Creative Director
>>> Tactile Media, UX/UI Design
>>>

>>> On 3/23/16, 1:54 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
>>> <[hidden email] on behalf of

Re: iOS deployment question

Dave Kilroy
Glad you got things sorted William

For those who find they are accumulating more and more old copies of provisioning profiles on their local drive (which can lead to error messages) and can't find a way of deleting them - they are located here:
"/Users/<username>/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles"

Dave
Peter M. Brigham
12