iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

John Allijn-4
Hi,
Yesterday I updated Xcode to 8.1 and LiveCode to version 8.1.1 and now LiveCode can’t find any simulators for iOS.
In the Livecode preferences the list with simulators is empty. When I click Add Entry and select the new Xcode app, it gives an error:

"The chosen folder is not a valid iOS SDK. Selected Xcode must have an iOS SDK among: 6.1, 7.1, 8.2, 9.2 and 10.0”

When I look in Xcode though, I have iOS 9.1 and iOS 9.2 installed.
I can also see the installed SDK’s in the /developer folder on my mac but When I click “Add Entry” these simulators and their parent folders are not selectable (grayed out)

Am I doing something wrong?

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Thierry Douez
Mmm, not sure as I'm far away from my computer,
but I think you need Xcode 8 ! not 8.1.

Hope someone else could confirm...

Regards,

Thierry

> Hi,
> Yesterday I updated Xcode to 8.1 and LiveCode to version 8.1.1 and now
> LiveCode can’t find any simulators for iOS.
> In the Livecode preferences the list with simulators is empty. When I
> click Add Entry and select the new Xcode app, it gives an error:
>
> "The chosen folder is not a valid iOS SDK. Selected Xcode must have an iOS
> SDK among: 6.1, 7.1, 8.2, 9.2 and 10.0”
>
> When I look in Xcode though, I have iOS 9.1 and iOS 9.2 installed.
> I can also see the installed SDK’s in the /developer folder on my mac but
> When I click “Add Entry” these simulators and their parent folders are not
> selectable (grayed out)
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

John Allijn-4

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

John Allijn-4

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Dave Kilroy
Yep Thierry is right - still too early to use Xcode 8.1.1

BTW if you’re going to have multiple versions of Xcode on you machine (which is a sensible thing to do if you’re going to have multiple versions of LiveCode on your machine) the safest way of doing this is to have each of them in their own folder in the Applications folder rather than renaming the .app bundle to something like “Xcode811.app”

Dave

Peter M. Brigham

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Dave Kilroy
Ach - I should have written “Xcode 8.1” and “Xcode81.app"

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode
> Date: 3 November 2016 at 10:05:31 GMT
> To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
>
> Yep Thierry is right - still too early to use Xcode 8.1.1
>
> BTW if you’re going to have multiple versions of Xcode on you machine (which is a sensible thing to do if you’re going to have multiple versions of LiveCode on your machine) the safest way of doing this is to have each of them in their own folder in the Applications folder rather than renaming the .app bundle to something like “Xcode811.app”
>
> Dave
>

>> Mmm, not sure as I'm far away from my computer,
>> but I think you need Xcode 8 ! not 8.1.
>>
>> Hope someone else could confirm...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Thierry

>> > Hi,
>> > Yesterday I updated Xcode to 8.1 and LiveCode to version 8.1.1 and now
>> > LiveCode can’t find any simulators for iOS.
>> > In the Livecode preferences the list with simulators is empty. When I
>> > click Add Entry and select the new Xcode app, it gives an error:
>> >
>> > "The chosen folder is not a valid iOS SDK. Selected Xcode must have an iOS
>> > SDK among: 6.1, 7.1, 8.2, 9.2 and 10.0”
>> >
>> > When I look in Xcode though, I have iOS 9.1 and iOS 9.2 installed.
>> > I can also see the installed SDK’s in the /developer folder on my mac but
>> > When I click “Add Entry” these simulators and their parent folders are not
>> > selectable (grayed out)
>> >
>> > Am I doing something wrong?

Peter M. Brigham

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Bob Sneidar-2
When it comes to Xcode, this is almost never the case. What I have gotten from all the iOS posts in this forum, keeping LC and Xcode in sync is far more important than having either/both up to date. Which version works with which should probably be published in a document, and maybe already has been.

Bob S

> On Nov 3, 2016, at 02:19 , John Allijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, 8.0 used to work just fine but I thought it would be a good idea to bring everything up to date...
>
>> Op 3 nov. 2016 om 10:07 heeft Thierry Douez <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Mmm, not sure as I'm far away from my computer,
>> but I think you need Xcode 8 ! not 8.1.
>>
>> Hope someone else could confirm...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Thierry

>>> Hi,
>>> Yesterday I updated Xcode to 8.1 and LiveCode to version 8.1.1 and now
>>> LiveCode can’t find any simulators for iOS.
>>> In the Livecode preferences the list with simulators is empty. When I
>>> click Add Entry and select the new Xcode app, it gives an error:
>>>
>>> "The chosen folder is not a valid iOS SDK. Selected Xcode must have an iOS
>>> SDK among: 6.1, 7.1, 8.2, 9.2 and 10.0”
>>>
>>> When I look in Xcode though, I have iOS 9.1 and iOS 9.2 installed.
>>> I can also see the installed SDK’s in the /developer folder on my mac but
>>> When I click “Add Entry” these simulators and their parent folders are not
>>> selectable (grayed out)
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong?

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Peter TB Brett

On 03/11/2016 14:37, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> When it comes to Xcode, this is almost never the case. What I have
> gotten from all the iOS posts in this forum, keeping LC and Xcode in
> sync is far more important than having either/both up to date. Which
> version works with which should probably be published in a document,
> and maybe already has been.

This information is always included in the release notes for LiveCode.

                                           Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Thierry Douez

> Which version works with which should probably be published in a document,
> and maybe already has been.

​Hi Bob,

There is one place:​

https://livecode.com/resources/support/ask-a-question/

​but it needs to be updated too :)

​Thierry

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

Bob Sneidar-2
There ya go! :-)

Bob S

On Nov 3, 2016, at 07:44 , Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Which
version works with which should probably be published in a document,
and maybe already has been.

This information is always included in the release notes for LiveCode.

                                         Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

Re: iOS simulator not found after updating LC and Xcode

John Allijn-4
Thanks for the info.
Xcode was upgraded, so the old version was gone. I’m now downloading the 4,5GB 8.0 version from developer.apple.com <http://developer.apple.com/>. hope that works!
thanks again!