iOS simulator not responding

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
When I run a test on the iOS simulator, it will not respond to either
clicks/taps or keyboard entry. Basically, it's inert. I've tried several
different hardware devices, all with the same results.

A Google search seems to show that this is a bug in the simulator when
running under Mojave, and works again if run in Catalina. I can't update
to Catalina yet because several apps I rely on will not run there.

I'm using LC 9.5.1 (rc1), XCode 10.1, on Mojave. Has anyone seen this,
and if so, have a workaround?

Re: iOS simulator not responding

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hello Jacque,

So the iOS standalone is installed to the iOS simulator, but the simulator
does not respond to clicks / keyboard entry?

I am on Mojave as well, but have not seen that happening.

Maybe it is worth resetting the simulator state:
Quit any instances of Xcode and iOS simulator, and execute this in the
terminal:

sudo killall -9 com.apple.CoreSimulator.CoreSimulatorService

Then:
- Open the Simulator from Xcode (Launch Xcode 10.1, go to Xcode's menubar
and choose
Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> Simulator)
- Wait until the simulator fully loads, until it shows the device's Home
screen
If you change device by clicking on the Simulator's app menubar
(Hardware -> Device -> iOS 12.1 -> <device_name> ) - again, wait until the
new simulator device fully loads, until it shows the device's Home screen
- Now go back to LiveCode and test again

Fingers crossed :)

Panos
--

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 21:43, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I run a test on the iOS simulator, it will not respond to either
> clicks/taps or keyboard entry. Basically, it's inert. I've tried several
> different hardware devices, all with the same results.
>
> A Google search seems to show that this is a bug in the simulator when
> running under Mojave, and works again if run in Catalina. I can't update
> to Catalina yet because several apps I rely on will not run there.
>
> I'm using LC 9.5.1 (rc1), XCode 10.1, on Mojave. Has anyone seen this,
> and if so, have a workaround?

Re: iOS simulator not responding

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Thanks Panos. Resetting didn't work, so now I'm wondering if it is
something about my LC native fields. The first thing the user needs to
do is log in, and I can't test beyond that until I can enter
credentials. There are two native fields, both are transparent. Would
transparency in iOS matter? They work on Android.

I forgot to mention that the only OS available in XCode 10.1 is iOS 12.1
but I assume that's okay.

On 11/25/19 4:11 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hello Jacque,
>
> So the iOS standalone is installed to the iOS simulator, but the simulator
> does not respond to clicks / keyboard entry?
>
> I am on Mojave as well, but have not seen that happening.
>
> Maybe it is worth resetting the simulator state:
> Quit any instances of Xcode and iOS simulator, and execute this in the
> terminal:
>
> sudo killall -9 com.apple.CoreSimulator.CoreSimulatorService
>
> Then:
> - Open the Simulator from Xcode (Launch Xcode 10.1, go to Xcode's menubar
> and choose
> Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> Simulator)
> - Wait until the simulator fully loads, until it shows the device's Home
> screen
> If you change device by clicking on the Simulator's app menubar
> (Hardware -> Device -> iOS 12.1 -> <device_name> ) - again, wait until the
> new simulator device fully loads, until it shows the device's Home screen
> - Now go back to LiveCode and test again
>
> Fingers crossed :)
>
> Panos
> --
>
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 21:43, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When I run a test on the iOS simulator, it will not respond to either
>> clicks/taps or keyboard entry. Basically, it's inert. I've tried several
>> different hardware devices, all with the same results.
>>
>> A Google search seems to show that this is a bug in the simulator when
>> running under Mojave, and works again if run in Catalina. I can't update
>> to Catalina yet because several apps I rely on will not run there.
>>
>> I'm using LC 9.5.1 (rc1), XCode 10.1, on Mojave. Has anyone seen this,
>> and if so, have a workaround?

Re: iOS simulator not responding

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I have reduced the problem to iOS input fields. Some testing shows that:

* The native fields exist
* Their rect is correct
* If I script their text data, it is there and can be retrieved

But they are inactive, can't be tapped, don't show any text even if its
entry is scripted, can't be typed into, can't be focused. They act like
they are invisible.

Here is what I do to create them. This is a generic handler that creates
all input fields throughout the app, and it works fine on Android.
Usually I call it like this: createInputFld "email". The other params
are used only occasionally.

command createInputFld pName,pReturnKey,pMultiline -- native single-line
input
   -- pName = any valid fld identifier (long name, ID, etc)
   -- pReturnKey = return key type, usually "search"
   -- pMultiline = boolean, whether to create a multi-line input
   put (the rect of control pName) into tRect
   subtract 10 from item 2 of tRect -- adjust for mobile
   add 10 to item 4 of tRect -- may not need for iOS
   if pMultiLine = true then
     mobileControlCreate "multiline", pName
   else
     mobileControlCreate "input", pName
   end if
   mobileControlSet pName, "rect", tRect
   mobileControlSet pName, "autoCapitalizationType", "none"
   mobileControlSet pName, "autoCorrectionType", "no"
   mobileControlSet pName, "enabled", true
   mobileControlSet pName, "editable", true -- multiline only (?)
   mobileControlSet pName, "alpha", 0 -- transparent
   mobileControlSet pName, "textalign", the effective textalign of
control pName
   mobileControlSet pName, "textColor", the effective textcolor of
control pName
   if pReturnKey <> "" then mobileControlSet pName, "returnKeyType",
pReturnKey -- usually "search"
   mobileControlSet pName, "visible", true
   if the platform contains "iPhone" then
     mobileControlSet pName, "borderStyle", "none"
     mobileControlSet pName, "clearButtonMode", "always"
   end if
end createInputFld

The fields on the first card are plain input fields, but I have a
question about multiline fields. The docs are a bit confusing. I pass
the parameter to Android and it does what I want. But I'm not clear
whether that works on iOS. The docs say that multiline fields are
applicable to both platforms, but mobileControlCreate info says it is
Android only. There is also a separate iOS command to create a multiline
field. How does all this work?

Multiline isn't applicable to the immediate issue, where I can't get
past the first two plain input fields.

On 11/25/19 5:09 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> Thanks Panos. Resetting didn't work, so now I'm wondering if it is
> something about my LC native fields. The first thing the user needs to
> do is log in, and I can't test beyond that until I can enter
> credentials. There are two native fields, both are transparent. Would
> transparency in iOS matter? They work on Android.
>
> I forgot to mention that the only OS available in XCode 10.1 is iOS 12.1
> but I assume that's okay.
>
> On 11/25/19 4:11 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hello Jacque,
>>
>> So the iOS standalone is installed to the iOS simulator, but the
>> simulator
>> does not respond to clicks / keyboard entry?
>>
>> I am on Mojave as well, but have not seen that happening.
>>
>> Maybe it is worth resetting the simulator state:
>> Quit any instances of Xcode and iOS simulator, and execute this in the
>> terminal:
>>
>> sudo killall -9 com.apple.CoreSimulator.CoreSimulatorService
>>
>> Then:
>> - Open the Simulator from Xcode (Launch Xcode 10.1, go to Xcode's menubar
>> and choose
>> Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> Simulator)
>> - Wait until the simulator fully loads, until it shows the device's Home
>> screen
>> If you change device by clicking on the Simulator's app menubar
>> (Hardware -> Device -> iOS 12.1 -> <device_name> ) - again, wait until
>> the
>> new simulator device fully loads, until it shows the device's Home screen
>> - Now go back to LiveCode and test again
>>
>> Fingers crossed :)
>>
>> Panos
>> --
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 21:43, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> When I run a test on the iOS simulator, it will not respond to either
>>> clicks/taps or keyboard entry. Basically, it's inert. I've tried several
>>> different hardware devices, all with the same results.
>>>
>>> A Google search seems to show that this is a bug in the simulator when
>>> running under Mojave, and works again if run in Catalina. I can't update
>>> to Catalina yet because several apps I rely on will not run there.
>>>
>>> I'm using LC 9.5.1 (rc1), XCode 10.1, on Mojave. Has anyone seen this,
>>> and if so, have a workaround?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: iOS simulator not responding

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Not sure if it will help, but here's the code I use to create a multiline text control (pControlName) on iOS that 'overlays' an existing LC field (pObj)

# create a native multiline text control
put the rect of pObj into tRect
# shrink the rect by 1 pixel all around to reveal the object's border
add 1 to item 1 of tRect
add 1 to item 2 of tRect
add -1 to item 3 of tRect
add -1 to item 4 of tRect
mobileControlCreate "multiline", pControlName
mobileControlSet pControlName, "rect", tRect
mobileControlSet pControlName, "opaque", true
mobileControlSet pControlName, "visible", true
mobileControlSet pControlName, "contentType", "plain"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "fontSize", "18"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "textAlign", "left"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "returnKeyType", "default"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "autoCorrectionType", "default"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "autoCapitalizationType", "sentences"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "keyboardStyle", "default"

You use 'editable' and 'enabled' as parameters for mobileControlSet but I don't use either of those. I use 'opaque' but you don't because you are after a transparent effect - I wonder whether 'opaque' can be used in conjunction with 'alpha' though?

Terry...

On 27/11/19, 6:46 am, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

    >> - Now go back to LiveCode and test again
    >>
    >> Fingers crossed :)
    >>
    >> Panos
    >> --
    >>
    >> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 21:43, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
    >> [hidden email]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I run a test on the iOS simulator, it will not respond to either
    >>> clicks/taps or keyboard entry. Basically, it's inert. I've tried several
    >>> different hardware devices, all with the same results.
    >>>
    >>> A Google search seems to show that this is a bug in the simulator when
    >>> running under Mojave, and works again if run in Catalina. I can't update
    >>> to Catalina yet because several apps I rely on will not run there.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using LC 9.5.1 (rc1), XCode 10.1, on Mojave. Has anyone seen this,
    >>> and if so, have a workaround?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]

Thanks Terry. I keep finding new things. It turns out my multiline fields
are working, but the single input ones do not. Very strange.

Do you have single line inputs?

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On November 26, 2019 5:26:05 PM Terry Judd via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>    >>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>    >>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>    >>>
>    >>> _______________________________________________
>    >>> use-livecode mailing list
>    >>> [hidden email]
>    >>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>    >>> subscription preferences:
>    >>>
>    >> _______________________________________________
>    >> use-livecode mailing list
>    >> [hidden email]
>    >> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>    >> subscription preferences:
>    >>
>    >
>    >
>

>    --
>    Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]

I primarily use single line input fields on my apps' login screens. Here's what I do for a password field - for a 'normal' field I just change the 'contentType' to 'plain'.

mobileControlCreate "input", pControlName
mobileControlSet pControlName, "rect", the rect of pObj
mobileControlSet pControlName, "opaque", true
mobileControlSet pControlName, "visible", true
mobileControlSet pControlName, "contentType", "password"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "borderStyle", "bezel"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "fontSize", "18"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "textAlign", "left"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "returnKeyType", "default"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "autoCorrectionType", "no"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "autoCapitalizationType", "none"
mobileControlSet pControlName, "keyboardStyle", "alert"

HTH,

Terry...

    <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
    >    >>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
    >    >>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
    >    >>>
    >    >>> _______________________________________________
    >    >>> use-livecode mailing list
    >    >>> [hidden email]
    >    >>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
    >    >>> subscription preferences:
    >    >>>
    >    >> _______________________________________________
    >    >> use-livecode mailing list
    >    >> [hidden email]
    >    >> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
    >    >> subscription preferences:
    >    >>
    >    >
    >    >
    >
    >
    >    --
    >    Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]

Found it, it was the alpha. When I leave that out, it displays, is
editable, and works.

Thank you!

On 11/26/19 8:16 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]
>      >    >
>      >    >
>      >
>      >
>      >    --
>      >    Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>      >    HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>      >
>      >
>      >    _______________________________________________
>      >    use-livecode mailing list
>      >    [hidden email]
>      >    Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>      >    subscription preferences:
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > use-livecode mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>      > Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your

Great! I have a vague memory of trying to have a transparent entry field so that it could show some faint placeholder text when empty then change to opaque when any text was entered, and not being able to get it to work.

Terry...