iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Graham Samuel-4
I've been posting about certificate renewal etc so that I can go on with iOS development after my profiles / certificates or whatever have expired. I thought I had created a new set of stuff, and XCode now reports that I have valid Provisioning Profiles (don't know why I've got more than one, but I have), plus a (valid) specific profile on the device I'm currently trying to test on (an iPad 2).  Oh, and I also have active ad hoc distribution certificate.

My app works in the simulator, but when I try to save it as a standalone in order to get it onto the iPad, I get codesigning failures: there seem to be six failures (whatever that means) and two of these look identical. I did not get these when I first set up my (now expired) digital 'asset's (/rant don't you hate the hijacking of perfectly good English words for weird technical purposes? /rant).

Can anyone tell me how to track down these failures and correct them? I just have no idea how to start. I haven't found anything helpful in the iOS notes for LC either. The only clue I have is that the XCode organizer seems to think I'm two teams with slightly different names. I would gladly delete one of these if I knew how, and I suppose it might help.

I've been staring at the Apple documentation for most of the day but I am well and truly stuck.

Anxious

Graham

RE: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Dave Kilroy
Hi Graham

If I try to build a standalone for iOS I'll get two error messages; the first alert (showing the LiveCode logo) says:

"Codesigning failed with 1) 0C076C94DC082497E47F5FA2F5A390A29E2C400 "iPhone Developer: Dave Kilroy (E7QB8D7WFM)" "

As well as a "1)" I'll also get a "2)" a "3)" and a "4)" failures, most but not all apparently lined to my 'bad' developer certificate

If I 'OK' that error message I'll get another, this time with a red 'X' symbol telling me that "There was an error saving the standalone application" with the same error from the previous alert repeated

What do you see when your codesigning fails? With any luck you don't have the same problem I have!

BTW, just in case you seem to have an extra, unwanted certificate, it is worth checking that KeyChain (watch out for storage of public and private keys) and Xcode (watch out for the Preferences folder in the Library) are not holding copies of such a certificate on your hard-drive

Good luck!

Dave

Peter M. Brigham

RE: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Dave Kilroy
Graham - you are welcome to Skype me on dave.kilroy it would help to discuss things :)

Dave

> I've been staring at the Apple documentation for most of the day but I am well and truly stuck.

Peter M. Brigham

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

J. Landman Gay
On 1/6/13 11:34 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> My app works in the simulator, but when I try to save it as a
> standalone in order to get it onto the iPad, I get codesigning
> failures: there seem to be six failures (whatever that means) and two
> of these look identical. I did not get these when I first set up my
> (now expired) digital 'asset's

First off, don't feel bad, I don't think anyone really gets what is
going on. I just did whatever the site said to do and somehow it
mysteriously worked. I haven't had to deal with expired certificates yet
but I will within the next few weeks.

 From what I've heard on the list here, expired certificates can cause
codesigning problems even if you have new ones. You have to make sure
all the old ones are deleted. You can do that in XCode or directly in
Finder. Some people just delete them all and then re-download and
install the new ones.

Once you've done that, you have reset the profile in LiveCode, even if
it appears to be using one with the same name. It needs to be re-linked.

The reason you have two certificates is because one is for you and one
is for your "team". I generally use the team one. I don't know why.

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Graham Samuel-4
Wow! Breakthrough - thanks to you Dave and to Jacque. I deleted some 'old' certificates in the Keychain utility and suddenly the app got made. There is so much there that I didn't understand - as I've said before, I will try to get more of an insight and publish it. So far the lesson is "don't try to replace or renew, create new certificates and revoke or delete the old ones", and take no notice of the 'renew' button in the corner. Why for example are there are other certificates in the keychain which have expired but which never seem to prevent anything on my system happening? Why is there a keychain at all (Mac heresy!).

As to what you're seeing Dave, until a few minutes ago I wasT getting very much the same as you. There were two screens. For me the odd thing is that none of these great long numbers nor the shorter sequences were recognised as anything attached to my certificates as shown in the Finder nor to my App Identifier, unless I'm mistaken - what are they and where do they come from? I also think the two screens are the same, just one comes from within LC and another is some kind of by-product of LC's interaction with XCode.

Graham

On 6 Jan 2013, at 21:30, Dave Kilroy wrote:

> Hi Graham
>
> If I try to build a standalone for iOS I'll get two error messages; the first alert (showing the LiveCode logo) says:
>
> "Codesigning failed with 1) 0C076C94DC082497E47F5FA2F5A390A29E2C400 "iPhone Developer: Dave Kilroy (E7QB8D7WFM)" "
>
> As well as a "1)" I'll also get a "2)" a "3)" and a "4)" failures, most but not all apparently lined to my 'bad' developer certificate
>
> If I 'OK' that error message I'll get another, this time with a red 'X' symbol telling me that "There was an error saving the standalone application" with the same error from the previous alert repeated
>
> What do you see when your codesigning fails? With any luck you don't have the same problem I have!
>
> BTW, just in case you seem to have an extra, unwanted certificate, it is worth checking that KeyChain (watch out for storage of public and private keys) and Xcode (watch out for the Preferences folder in the Library) are not holding copies of such a certificate on your hard-drive
>
> Good luck!
>
> Dave
>

>> I've been posting about certificate renewal etc so that I can go on with iOS development after my profiles / certificates or whatever have expired. I thought I had created a new set of stuff, and XCode now reports that I have valid Provisioning Profiles (don't know why I've got more than one, but I have), plus a (valid) specific profile on the device I'm currently trying to test on (an iPad 2).  Oh, and I also have active ad hoc distribution certificate.
>>
>> My app works in the simulator, but when I try to save it as a standalone in order to get it onto the iPad, I get codesigning failures: there seem to be six failures (whatever that means) and two of these look identical. I did not get these when I first set up my (now expired) digital 'asset's (/rant don't you hate the hijacking of perfectly good English words for weird technical purposes? /rant).
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to track down these failures and correct them? I just have no idea how to start. I haven't found anything helpful in the iOS notes for LC either. The only clue I have is that the XCode organizer seems to think I'm two teams with slightly different names. I would gladly delete one of these if I knew how, and I suppose it might help.
>>
>> I've been staring at the Apple documentation for most of the day but I am well and truly stuck.
>>
>> Anxious
>>
>> Graham

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Robert Sneidar
Hi Graham. I feel somewhat obligated at this point to explain certificates. Certificates in the security world are like ID cards, only much harder to forge that real ID cards. A certification agency (in the real world the State of California for example) issues a document that is not easily forged that indicates that the person holding it really is who they say they are.

Imagine someone putting out a version of Word, only for a much cheaper price than you can get in a retail store. Trouble is, someone has modified the application to include a payload that does bad, bad things once you install it. How do you prevent such naughty behavior? Well one way is by issuing a certificate from Microsoft to the real entity, that gets checked with the issuing authority whenever the software attempts to install or run. Failure to validate that the software is genuine results in the software not running or even being allowed to install.

The reason you don't know a lot about it is that to the end user, this process is usually transparent. Now that you are a developer, you are going to have to deal with it. As far as the Apple keychain is concerned, that is simply a single repository of various security tokens conveniently secured with a single password. You may think this is an exclusive Apple technology, but thankfully it is not. Ever had Internet Explorer ask if you want to remember passwords? Same mechanism. Imagine having to remember 100 user names and passwords! That is what many people attempt to do when interacting with the internet. They create different user names and passwords for every site they visit. Secure, but not practical. They forget almost right away which user name/password they used for each site. The keychain alleviates the "forgetting" part by allowing the user to consolidate all those security tokens under one sign on, even certificates.

Contrary to what some may think, this is not a Mac thing. Virtually all modern operating systems incorporate some kind of single sign on mechanism to deal with security.

Bob

On Jan 6, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to track down these failures and correct them? I just have no idea how to start. I haven't found anything helpful in the iOS notes for LC either. The only clue I have is that the XCode organizer seems to think I'm two teams with slightly different names. I would gladly delete one of these if I knew how, and I suppose it might help.
>>>
>>> I've been staring at the Apple documentation for most of the day but I am well and truly stuck.
>>>
>>> Anxious
>>>
>>> Graham

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

RogGuay
Ok, time for me to chime in.

I have:
Deleted all expired certificates from my Keychain.
Deleted all Development and Distribution Provisioning Profiles for the team that I'm working on
and downloaded and installed fresh Provisioning Profiles from the Portal

And still my Xcode Organizer shows a status of "Valid signing identity not found" for the subject distribution profiles. (There is no indication of problems on the Portal i.e. status shows "Active")

Can anyone suggest anything else . . . pretty please?

Thanks,
Roger

On 1/6/13 9:17 PM, Roger Guay wrote:

> Ok, time for me to chime in.
>
> I have:
> Deleted all expired certificates from my Keychain.
> Deleted all Development and Distribution Provisioning Profiles for the team that I'm working on
> and downloaded and installed fresh Provisioning Profiles from the Portal
>
> And still my Xcode Organizer shows a status of "Valid signing identity not found" for the subject distribution profiles. (There is no indication of problems on the Portal i.e. status shows "Active")
>
> Can anyone suggest anything else . . . pretty please?

Did you assign your Mac to the provisioning profiles in the portal?

On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:02 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/6/13 9:17 PM, Roger Guay wrote:
>> Ok, time for me to chime in.
>>
>> I have:
>> Deleted all expired certificates from my Keychain.
>> Deleted all Development and Distribution Provisioning Profiles for the team that I'm working on
>> and downloaded and installed fresh Provisioning Profiles from the Portal
>>
>> And still my Xcode Organizer shows a status of "Valid signing identity not found" for the subject distribution profiles. (There is no indication of problems on the Portal i.e. status shows "Active")
>>
>> Can anyone suggest anything else . . . pretty please?
>
> Did you assign your Mac to the provisioning profiles in the portal?

 I found no mention of this in the portal. How do I do that?

Thanks, Jacque
Roger

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Dave Kilroy
Hi Roger

I think Jaque is referring to 'Device' in the Provisioning Portal's Provisioning Profile page. Each Provisioning Profile should list the devices it will work on and if you want your app to run on "Roger's iPad" then you need to include "Roger's iPad" in the 'Device' section of the Provisioning Profile you are using

...I think that's correct ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Dave Kilroy
Woohoo!

Well done Graham - can you give a bit more detail on what you deleted from where (and any other steps you took) in order to get things working again?

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Graham Samuel-4
Thanks Bob for these very useful insights. I had gradually become aware that I was entering a universe of which Apple is a mere member (galaxy?). Your email clarifies this universe to a great extent. What I will say is:

1. IMO (and I'm sure I'm not alone), Apple make the whole thing unnecessarily complicated by (for example) causing developers to use three separate bits of software to get the certification done; using names for different objects created which are either similar or identical to one another; and when things go wrong (or just need renewal) providing inadequate explanations, instructions and workflows to get you back on track (for example the almost completely useless error messages that Dave Kilroy and I have been getting).

2. When you say "now that you are a developer", I bridled a bit, since I've been a developer for years. The trouble is that most of my work has been in producing either private stuff or low-priced educational software for the desktop, in an environment where malicious use and even plagiarism are rare. So up to now the security arrangements for my published stuff have been minimal, and my publisher has been happy. Now with iOS and all that, the game has changed, so I need to learn new tricks. Again, clearly I am not the only one.

I still feel that it would be a very good thing if there were a document to describe Apple's process of certification, including what can go wrong and what to do about it, oriented entirely toward LC developers - a cookbook, if you will. Your mail would be a good introduction! I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable enough to write it, but I haven't given up hope yet.

Thanks again

Graham

On 7 Jan 2013, at 03:01, Robert Sneidar wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> As well as a "1)" I'll also get a "2)" a "3)" and a "4)" failures, most but not all apparently lined to my 'bad' developer certificate
>>>
>>> If I 'OK' that error message I'll get another, this time with a red 'X' symbol telling me that "There was an error saving the standalone application" with the same error from the previous alert repeated
>>>
>>> What do you see when your codesigning fails? With any luck you don't have the same problem I have!
>>>
>>> BTW, just in case you seem to have an extra, unwanted certificate, it is worth checking that KeyChain (watch out for storage of public and private keys) and Xcode (watch out for the Preferences folder in the Library) are not holding copies of such a certificate on your hard-drive
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Well, I'll try. To take the last steps first, I used the Keychain utility on my Mac to delete everything whose name started with 'iPhone' and whose expiry date was past or about to be past (i.e. the ones I was trying to replace). This is what suddenly made everything work. I then did the 'refresh' thing in XCode with the relevant device attached - I can only attach one device at a time, so I had to do this twice. This was presumably needed before i could actually drag the compiled program onto the device, which certainly worked for the first device, an iPad 2. Now I can get on with my iPod 3 mods to that app.

Going backwards, I used the Apple Provisioning Portal (if that's what it's called) to get rid of various things in the same category (expired or about to expire). Some stuff you have to delete and some stuff you have to revoke. I created a new Developer Certificate and a new Distribution Certificate - these are the only ones that turn up in the KeyChain utility. If you look at the "Provisioning Profiles" section in your Library/MobileDevice directory, you'll see a list. I've got four of these. I am not sure what they correspond to in XCode or on my devices as they have no descriptions and the numbers are unrecognisable - but they were all created yesterday.

In the XCode organiser, it seems that I have five (not four!) Provisioning Profiles, all valid and also all created yesterday. So I somehow got rid of anything not created yesterday and bingo it all worked.

I may well have left something out that I just did by fiddling around. I have not explained how I created my new certificates/profiles but in general I used the iOS Provisioning Portal and in part the Development Provisioning Assistant - this is a good step-by-step guide except that it doesn't tell you about deleting old stuff and it doesn't create Distribution Provisioning Profiles (AFAIK there is not equivalent step-by-step guide for Distribution).

HTH

Graham

On 7 Jan 2013, at 09:36, Dave Kilroy2 wrote:

> Woohoo!
>
> Well done Graham - can you give a bit more detail on what you deleted from
> where (and any other steps you took) in order to get things working again?
>
> Dave

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

RogGuay
Hi David,

Bless you and Jacque!! I think you have found my problem. Now how to fix?

If I go to the Provisioning section of the Portal and select Distribution, I have 2 profiles, each of which has Devices (0). But in the attempt to edit these, the Devices section is grayed out. Same thing if I create a New Profile . . . the devices section is grayed out.

Or, is it normal to have no devices for a Distribution Profile? (my Development Profiles all have my iPad listed)

Thanks,
Roger

On Jan 7, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Dave Kilroy2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roger
>
> I think Jaque is referring to 'Device' in the Provisioning Portal's
> Provisioning Profile page. Each Provisioning Profile should list the devices
> it will work on and if you want your app to run on "Roger's iPad" then you
> need to include "Roger's iPad" in the 'Device' section of the Provisioning
> Profile you are using
>
> ...I think that's correct ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> Dave

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Graham Samuel-4
FWIW I don't have a listing of Devices on the description of my Current Distribution Certificate in the Portal - this is odd, since we should be seeing the same display, shouldn't we?

My display consists of one line which gives my name (I guess it's my team name really), the Expiration Date, the name which I chose for it, its Status (which is 'issued'), a button saying 'download', and another button (looks like a label) saying 'Revoke'. This is in the 'Distribution' tab of the Certificates section of my iOS Provisioning Portal.

What exactly are you seeing?

Graham

On 7 Jan 2013, at 17:06, Roger Guay wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Bless you and Jacque!! I think you have found my problem. Now how to fix?
>
> If I go to the Provisioning section of the Portal and select Distribution, I have 2 profiles, each of which has Devices (0). But in the attempt to edit these, the Devices section is grayed out. Same thing if I create a New Profile . . . the devices section is grayed out.
>
> Or, is it normal to have no devices for a Distribution Profile? (my Development Profiles all have my iPad listed)
>
> Thanks,
> Roger
>

> On Jan 7, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Dave Kilroy2 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger
>>
>> I think Jaque is referring to 'Device' in the Provisioning Portal's
>> Provisioning Profile page. Each Provisioning Profile should list the devices
>> it will work on and if you want your app to run on "Roger's iPad" then you
>> need to include "Roger's iPad" in the 'Device' section of the Provisioning
>> Profile you are using
>>
>> ...I think that's correct ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
>>
>> Dave

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Robert Sneidar
Sorry, I didn't mean to marginalize what you do. I really meant that these days security has become an essential part of software development, especially for mobile platforms. The answer for this is security certificates.

Bob

On Jan 7, 2013, at 2:32 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> 2. When you say "now that you are a developer", I bridled a bit, since I've been a developer for years.

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

RogGuay
I was looking at the Provisioning section of the Portal . . . not Certificates. Go Provisioning -> Distribution and then click on each of the Provisioning Profiles to expand and see the devices.

Roger

On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW I don't have a listing of Devices on the description of my Current Distribution Certificate in the Portal - this is odd, since we should be seeing the same display, shouldn't we?
>
> My display consists of one line which gives my name (I guess it's my team name really), the Expiration Date, the name which I chose for it, its Status (which is 'issued'), a button saying 'download', and another button (looks like a label) saying 'Revoke'. This is in the 'Distribution' tab of the Certificates section of my iOS Provisioning Portal.
>
> What exactly are you seeing?
>
> Graham
>
> On 7 Jan 2013, at 17:06, Roger Guay wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Bless you and Jacque!! I think you have found my problem. Now how to fix?
>>
>> If I go to the Provisioning section of the Portal and select Distribution, I have 2 profiles, each of which has Devices (0). But in the attempt to edit these, the Devices section is grayed out. Same thing if I create a New Profile . . . the devices section is grayed out.
>>
>> Or, is it normal to have no devices for a Distribution Profile? (my Development Profiles all have my iPad listed)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roger

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

mwieder
Graham-

> On Jan 7, 2013, at 2:32 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:

>> 2. When you say "now that you are a developer", I bridled a
>> bit, since I've been a developer for years.

I think Bob's keyboard meant to type something like

"...to the end user... As the developer, you are going to have to deal
with it..."

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 1/7/13 10:06 AM, Roger Guay wrote:

> Or, is it normal to have no devices for a Distribution Profile? (my
> Development Profiles all have my iPad listed)

Right, development profiles require an association with devices, and
those are the only ones allowed to run the app. Development profiles are
for testing. Distribution profiles are for uploading to the App Store
and don't require devices, since anyone can purchase and run the app.
Apple takes care of distribution.

Re: iOS standalone - what to do about code signing failures?

Graham Samuel-4
Don't worry, I wasn't really offended! There's always something new to learn. It's a pity that Apple makes it tougher than it needs to be, but with the generous help of this list things are (very) gradually becoming clearer.

Graham