iPad Pro screenshots?

Alan Stenhouse
Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?

I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!

Thanks for any tips!

cheers

Alan

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Peter Bogdanoff
On the Mac you can type command/shift/4 to grab a portion of the screen—you click and drag out a rectangle; press the escape key to cancel. It leaves a PNG on your desktop.

Peter

On Nov 7, 2016, at 10:00 PM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 9skg+U=
> x-forefront-antispam-report: EFV:NLI; SFV:NSPM; SFS:(10019020)(98900003);
> DIR:OUT; SFP:1102; SCL:1; SRVR:PU1APC01HT097;
> H:KL1PR03MB1895.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com; FPR:; SPF:None; LANG:en;
> x-ms-office365-filtering-correlation-id: f331aa03-c148-4630-2c7f-08d4079c7a3a
> x-microsoft-antispam: UriScan:;BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:;SRVR:PU1APC01HT097;
> x-exchange-antispam-report-cfa-test: BCL:0; PCL:0;
> RULEID:(432015012)(82015046); SRVR:PU1APC01HT097; BCL:0; PCL:0; RULEID:;
> SRVR:PU1APC01HT097;
> x-forefront-prvs: 01208B1E18
>
> Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?
>
> I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!
>
> Thanks for any tips!
>
> cheers
>
> Alan

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Stephen Barncard-4
On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX
> 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?

can't you just take a screenshot on the iPad?  home button plus that 'hold'
button on the side.

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Stephen Barncard-4
On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 10:21 PM, stephen barncard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> can't you just take a screenshot on the iPad?  home button plus that
> 'hold' button on the side.

oh. on a simulator.

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Terry Judd-2
Command-ctrl-shift-4 (adding the control key captures to the clipboard instead of to file) then when the cross-hairs are visible click the space key and move the mouse to select a window to be captured rather than the entire desktop. If you throw in the option key when you click the mouse to do the capture then you get the window without the drop shadow. You’ll still need to remove the window’s titlebar though.

Terry...

On 8/11/2016 5:15 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Peter Bogdanoff" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On the Mac you can type command/shift/4 to grab a portion of the screen—you click and drag out a rectangle; press the escape key to cancel. It leaves a PNG on your desktop.

    Peter

    On Nov 7, 2016, at 10:00 PM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?
    >
    > I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!
    >
    > Thanks for any tips!
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Alan

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Alan Stenhouse
Thanks for the replies Peter, Stephen, Terry... but I guess I didn't explain myself well enough.

The problem is that, AFAIK, the iPad Pro isn't supported with OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. I can't install the required xCode that will provide the necessary simulator and/or support for building for iPad Pro (if I had a physical one to test on).

Is that correct and, if so, is there a work-around? If I'm wrong, what can I install to support iPad Pro simulator on OSX 10.9.5?

Thanks!

On 8 Nov 2016, at 9:30 pm, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Alan <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: iPad Pro screenshots?

> Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?
>
> I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!
>
> Thanks for any tips!
>
> cheers
>
> Alan

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Colin Holgate-3
In the simulator the File menu only has one entry, Save Screen Shot. Maybe that would do?

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 1:22 AM, stephen barncard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 10:21 PM, stephen barncard <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> can't you just take a screenshot on the iPad?  home button plus that
>> 'hold' button on the side.
>>

> oh. on a simulator.
>
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Colin Holgate-3
All iPad apps work on iPad Pro. What would you achieve if you could simulate it, that you can’t already do?

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 6:50 AM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the replies Peter, Stephen, Terry... but I guess I didn't explain myself well enough.
>
> The problem is that, AFAIK, the iPad Pro isn't supported with OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. I can't install the required xCode that will provide the necessary simulator and/or support for building for iPad Pro (if I had a physical one to test on).
>
> Is that correct and, if so, is there a work-around? If I'm wrong, what can I install to support iPad Pro simulator on OSX 10.9.5?
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 8 Nov 2016, at 9:30 pm, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From: Alan <[hidden email]>
>> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: iPad Pro screenshots?

>> Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?
>>
>> I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Alan

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Phil Jimmieson-2
The screen size is bigger, and Apple now expect you to provide at least one screenshot in that size. I did it for a recent App update using the iPad Pro simulator in Xcode 8 on iOS 10.11.6 on a retina iMac. The previous time I did it for an App update I took a standard iPad retina screenshot and scaled it up in Preview - the reviewer in the App Store didn’t notice it was very slightly blurry...

> On 8 Nov 2016, at 15:20, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All iPad apps work on iPad Pro. What would you achieve if you could simulate it, that you can’t already do?
>

>> On Nov 8, 2016, at 6:50 AM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the replies Peter, Stephen, Terry... but I guess I didn't explain myself well enough.
>>
>> The problem is that, AFAIK, the iPad Pro isn't supported with OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. I can't install the required xCode that will provide the necessary simulator and/or support for building for iPad Pro (if I had a physical one to test on).
>>
>> Is that correct and, if so, is there a work-around? If I'm wrong, what can I install to support iPad Pro simulator on OSX 10.9.5?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On 8 Nov 2016, at 9:30 pm, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Alan <[hidden email]>
>>> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: iPad Pro screenshots?

>>> Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?
>>>
>>> I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!
>>>
>>> Thanks for any tips!
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Alan

Phil Jimmieson  [hidden email]  (UK) 0151 795 4236  (Mobile) 07976 983164
Computer Science Dept., Liverpool University, Ashton Building, Ashton Street
Liverpool L69 3BX              http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~phil/
I used to sit on a special medical board... ...but now I use this ointment.

RE: iPad Pro screenshots?

Ralph DiMola
I create all my screen shots in the IDE. I resize the screen for each resolution and then export a screen shot to a png. The status bar is missing but one click export of all resolutions makes up for that.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

The screen size is bigger, and Apple now expect you to provide at least one screenshot in that size. I did it for a recent App update using the iPad Pro simulator in Xcode 8 on iOS 10.11.6 on a retina iMac. The previous time I did it for an App update I took a standard iPad retina screenshot and scaled it up in Preview - the reviewer in the App Store didn’t notice it was very slightly blurry...

> On 8 Nov 2016, at 15:20, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All iPad apps work on iPad Pro. What would you achieve if you could simulate it, that you can’t already do?
>

>> On Nov 8, 2016, at 6:50 AM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the replies Peter, Stephen, Terry... but I guess I didn't explain myself well enough.
>>
>> The problem is that, AFAIK, the iPad Pro isn't supported with OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. I can't install the required xCode that will provide the necessary simulator and/or support for building for iPad Pro (if I had a physical one to test on).
>>
>> Is that correct and, if so, is there a work-around? If I'm wrong, what can I install to support iPad Pro simulator on OSX 10.9.5?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On 8 Nov 2016, at 9:30 pm, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Alan <[hidden email]>
>>> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: iPad Pro screenshots?
>>> <[hidden email].
>>> outlook.com>

>>> Does anyone know of a way I can get an iPad Pro screenshot using OSX 10.9.5?  i.e. using a Simulator?
>>>
>>> I think it's not possible and that I'll have to upgrade my system, XCode etc in order to make this screenshot for an about-to-be released app?  But I'd rather not go down that route, if at all possible!
>>>
>>> Thanks for any tips!
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Alan

Phil Jimmieson  [hidden email]  (UK) 0151 795 4236  (Mobile) 07976 983164 Computer Science Dept., Liverpool University, Ashton Building, Ashton Street
Liverpool L69 3BX              http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~phil/
I used to sit on a special medical board... ...but now I use this ointment.

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Alan Stenhouse
Thanks Ralph, Phil, Colin

So the interim solution (until I upgrade my systems to get access to iPad Pro Simulator) is to take a Retina screenshot and scale up (this is to satisfy that AppStore requirements) and hope that's good enough...! :-)

cheers

Alan

On 9 Nov 2016, at 4:03 am, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: "Ralph DiMola" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: RE: iPad Pro screenshots?
>
> I create all my screen shots in the IDE. I resize the screen for each resolution and then export a screen shot to a png. The status bar is missing but one click export of all resolutions makes up for that.
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

Re: iPad Pro screenshots?

Colin Holgate-3
Ralph’s idea was good though, you could export snapshot from a card window that’s the real size. But yes, scaling up is what I’ve done as well.

One thing to be wary of is having complex splash screens. You will find that if you support every required size you could reach 30 MB of app space, before the app has even opened. These days I have a flat color that is the average of the title screen, then let it cut to the title screen. Flat color PNGs take up little space.