icons

Jon-3
Any hints as to how to make an Icon file that Rev is happy with?  It
won't take Windows icon files, and, as usual, the documentation is
pretty vague ("For a guide to creating yuour [sic] .ico format file use
the examples in the Sample Icons folder of the Revolution
distribution.", whatever "use" might mean).

:)

Jon

Re: icons

Klaus major-k
Hi Jon,

> Any hints as to how to make an Icon file that Rev is happy with?

you will need an icon editor :-)

> It won't take Windows icon files, and, as usual, the documentation
> is pretty vague

Since it is the documentation for Revolution and not for creating
platform specific images/icons...
There isn't even a slightest hint on how to create images in JPG
format :-p

> ("For a guide to creating yuour [sic] .ico format file use the
> examples in the Sample
> Icons folder of the Revolution distribution.", whatever "use" might
> mean).

"use" means, since the icon format changed some time ago, you can
check how the
new icon format has to look like and USE one of the sample icons as
examples in an icon editor.

The new format is the XP icon format and consists of 9 different
(internal) icons actually.

48*48 pixel, 32 bit
32*32 pixel, 32 bit
16*16 pixel, 32 bit
48*48 pixel, 8 bit
32*32 pixel, 8 bit
16*16 pixel, 8 bit
48*48 pixel, 4 bit
32*32 pixel, 4 bit
16*16 pixel, 4 bit

I use Axialis IconWorkshop, the only Windows software i ever needed
and bought :-)
http://www.axialis.com

Maybe you can find some freeware editors on the net...

> :)
> Jon

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: icons

Bob Hartley
Quoting Klaus Major <[hidden email]>:

Hi Klaus.

Thanks for the info on IconWorkshop

> I use Axialis IconWorkshop, the only Windows software i ever needed
> and bought :-)
> http://www.axialis.com
>
> Maybe you can find some freeware editors on the net...

Well it is only $34 so is really cheap. After all if it makes sales easier it is
worth it. :-)

Regards

Bob

> > :)
> > Jon
>
> Regards
>
> Klaus Major
> [hidden email]
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: icons

Jon-3

Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
>> Any hints as to how to make an Icon file that Rev is happy with?
>

> you will need an icon editor :-)

Wouldn't it be nice if the documentation actually said this, instead of
making the vague statements it does?

>> It won't take Windows icon files, and, as usual, the documentation
>> is pretty vague
>

> Since it is the documentation for Revolution and not for creating
> platform specific images/icons...

Well, since it won't take platform specific icon files that work with
other applications on the platform, I'd say it needs to say SOMETHING
about what the customer is supposed to do here.

> There isn't even a slightest hint on how to create images in JPG
> format :-p
>
>> ("For a guide to creating yuour [sic] .ico format file use the
>> examples in the Sample
>> Icons folder of the Revolution distribution.", whatever "use" might
>> mean).
>

> "use" means, since the icon format changed some time ago, you can
> check how the
> new icon format has to look like and USE one of the sample icons as
> examples in an icon editor.

Then they need to talk about what specific icon editor, or features, are
needed.  I already HAVE an icon editor, and icons, and none of them work
with Rev.

> The new format is the XP icon format and consists of 9 different
> (internal) icons actually.

Was that ever stated in the documentation?

> 48*48 pixel, 32 bit
> 32*32 pixel, 32 bit
> 16*16 pixel, 32 bit
> 48*48 pixel, 8 bit
> 32*32 pixel, 8 bit
> 16*16 pixel, 8 bit
> 48*48 pixel, 4 bit
> 32*32 pixel, 4 bit
> 16*16 pixel, 4 bit
>
> I use Axialis IconWorkshop, the only Windows software i ever needed
> and bought :-)
> http://www.axialis.com
>
> Maybe you can find some freeware editors on the net...

The following worked fine for me, although I have a sense that I will be
getting some emails from them trying to sell me their products:

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwicontools.html

>> :)
>> Jon
>

> Regards
>
> Klaus Major
> [hidden email]
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: icons

Klaus major-k
Hi Jon,

>>> Any hints as to how to make an Icon file that Rev is happy with?
>> you will need an icon editor :-)
> Wouldn't it be nice if the documentation actually said this,
> instead of making the vague statements it does?

sure.

>>> It won't take Windows icon files, and, as usual, the
>>> documentation  is pretty vague
>> Since it is the documentation for Revolution and not for creating
>> platform specific images/icons...
> Well, since it won't take platform specific icon files that work
> with other applications on the platform, I'd say it needs to say
> SOMETHING about what the customer is supposed to do here.

That's what this list is meant for...
To partly fill the gaps of the docs ;-)

>> There isn't even a slightest hint on how to create images in JPG
>> format :-p
>>> ("For a guide to creating yuour [sic] .ico format file use the
>>> examples in the Sample
>>> Icons folder of the Revolution distribution.", whatever "use"
>>> might  mean).
>> "use" means, since the icon format changed some time ago, you can
>> check how the
>> new icon format has to look like and USE one of the sample icons
>> as  examples in an icon editor.
> Then they need to talk about what specific icon editor, or
> features, are needed.
> I already HAVE an icon editor, and icons, and none of them work
> with Rev.

Maybe a look at one of these sample icons would have helped?

>> The new format is the XP icon format and consists of 9 different
>> (internal) icons actually.
> Was that ever stated in the documentation?

No, i actually found out all by myself.

C'mon Jon, show a bit of humor... :-)
I know the docs have some flaws, but they are not soooo bad!

Please allow me to qoute myself from my Revolution Scripting
Conference stack:

That's how I learned Metacard, no extensive docs like we have now in
Revolution,
no Rev Cookbook, no helpful "use-revolution" lists, nothing but a
knife, a compass
and a box of WET matches!

:-D

>> 48*48 pixel, 32 bit
>> 32*32 pixel, 32 bit
>> 16*16 pixel, 32 bit
>> 48*48 pixel, 8 bit
>> 32*32 pixel, 8 bit
>> 16*16 pixel, 8 bit
>> 48*48 pixel, 4 bit
>> 32*32 pixel, 4 bit
>> 16*16 pixel, 4 bit
>> I use Axialis IconWorkshop, the only Windows software i ever
>> needed  and bought :-)
>> http://www.axialis.com
>> Maybe you can find some freeware editors on the net...
> The following worked fine for me, although I have a sense that I
> will be getting some emails from them trying to sell me their
> products:
> http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwicontools.html

You BET! :-D

>>> :)
>>> Jon

Have a nice weekend.

Regards from germanski

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

P.S.
Only my very good education (thanks, mom!) prohibits
further comments like:
I can't stand this whining about the docs anymore!
;-)

Re: icons

Jon-3

Klaus Major wrote:

>>> "use" means, since the icon format changed some time ago, you can
>>> check how the
>>> new icon format has to look like and USE one of the sample icons
>>> as  examples in an icon editor.
>>
>> Then they need to talk about what specific icon editor, or  features,
>> are needed.
>> I already HAVE an icon editor, and icons, and none of them work  with
>> Rev.
>

> Maybe a look at one of these sample icons would have helped?

My point was that I had no idea how to "look" at the icons, and the doc
was of no help.

Enough.  The only reason I'm making such a stink about this is that I
think that all of you have lost sight of what good documentation is.
You're so used to the lack of documentation that you accept it calmly,
rather than clamoring for documentation that a novice could actually
use.  If you love Rev, and if you want it to be adopted widely, then
there is no way that the current documentation is adequate.

end-rant...

:)

Jon

Re: icons

Klaus major-k
Hi Jon,

>>> Then they need to talk about what specific icon editor, or
>>> features, are needed.
>>> I already HAVE an icon editor, and icons, and none of them work
>>> with Rev.
>> Maybe a look at one of these sample icons would have helped?
> My point was that I had no idea how to "look" at the icons, and the
> doc was of no help.

well, with an icon editor, I would have guessed quite naturally... ;-)

> Enough.  The only reason I'm making such a stink about this is that
> I think that all of you have lost sight of what good documentation
> is.  You're so used to the lack of documentation that you accept it
> calmly, rather than clamoring for documentation that a novice could
> actually use.

that's true!

At least I accept it with Rev, since i know what's going on through
my experience
with a knife, a compass etc... :-D

> If you love Rev, and if you want it to be adopted widely, then
> there is no way that the current documentation is adequate.

Sure, but that is not in any way affected by my attidtude, see above!

Again, the docs are not THAT bad, in opposite, they are excellent,
but canot cover ALL aspects, since Rev is SO powerful, i think...

And like the engine, the docs are also a "work in progress" and get
better with each release!

> end-rant...

Hark, hark! :-)

> :)