is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
Hello,

the user shall select a folder, which includes certain files. When using
"answer folder" the LiveCode dialog lets select the folder and returns the
path, but without showing it's content, while navigating. That puzzles
sometimes my customers, because it looks like the folder is empty and it
might not be the correct folder.

I am  not sure, if this behavior of the answer dialog is "standard" at other
programs and it just looks strange to me, or if there is another approach to
let the user select a folder while showing it's content? I could workaround
with "answer file", but that could puzzle again the user, because he can't
select a folder and must select a file to return from the dialog.

How is this UI issue handled correctly?

Tiemo

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
It sounds like an OS thing. It isn't often that users are asked to select a folder instead of a file. You can try ask file instead.

Bob S

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 07:20 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> the user shall select a folder, which includes certain files. When using
> "answer folder" the LiveCode dialog lets select the folder and returns the
> path, but without showing it's content, while navigating. That puzzles
> sometimes my customers, because it looks like the folder is empty and it
> might not be the correct folder.
>
> I am  not sure, if this behavior of the answer dialog is "standard" at other
> programs and it just looks strange to me, or if there is another approach to
> let the user select a folder while showing it's content? I could workaround
> with "answer file", but that could puzzle again the user, because he can't
> select a folder and must select a file to return from the dialog.
>
> How is this UI issue handled correctly?
>
> Tiemo

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
Hi Tiemo,

I'm not sure which OS you're looking at (or which version of LC).

On MacOS, I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe: for me, "answer folder"
brings up a file selector and as I navigate, I see all the contents of folders
as normal, with all the files greyed out, so that only folders can be selected
- which would seem to be the expected behaviour.

I'm currently working on LC 8.1.3, but I think this is the behaviour I usually
see. But I'm usually working on Mac, so not sure what happens on Windows or Linux.

Ben

On 13/03/2017 14:50, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> It sounds like an OS thing. It isn't often that users are asked to select a folder instead of a file. You can try ask file instead.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Mar 13, 2017, at 07:20 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> the user shall select a folder, which includes certain files. When using
>> "answer folder" the LiveCode dialog lets select the folder and returns the
>> path, but without showing it's content, while navigating. That puzzles
>> sometimes my customers, because it looks like the folder is empty and it
>> might not be the correct folder.
>>
>> I am  not sure, if this behavior of the answer dialog is "standard" at other
>> programs and it just looks strange to me, or if there is another approach to
>> let the user select a folder while showing it's content? I could workaround
>> with "answer file", but that could puzzle again the user, because he can't
>> select a folder and must select a file to return from the dialog.
>>
>> How is this UI issue handled correctly?
>>
>> Tiemo

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
On windows, only folders show.

Mike Bonner wrote:

 > On windows, only folders show.

I just checked this by going into Settings in IE on Win 10 and changing
the Downloads folder - the dialog MS brings up for that shows only folders.

On 03/13/2017 03:24 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Mike Bonner wrote:
>
>> On windows, only folders show.
>
> I just checked this by going into Settings in IE on Win 10 and changing
> the Downloads folder - the dialog MS brings up for that shows only folders.

Hmmm. Someone should fix Windows.
Is there a bug report for that?

AW: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
Thanks for testing (yes it was Windows only, LC 8). I'll ask Satya, if he
can fix it.

Tiemo

On 03/13/2017 03:24 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Mike Bonner wrote:
>
>> On windows, only folders show.
>
> I just checked this by going into Settings in IE on Win 10 and
> changing the Downloads folder - the dialog MS brings up for that shows
only folders.

Hmmm. Someone should fix Windows.
Is there a bug report for that?

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
You can't fix a broken Windows. (see what I did there?)

Bob S

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 18:04 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmmm. Someone should fix Windows.
> Is there a bug report for that?
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
What a pane. (see what I did there because of what you did there?)

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can't fix a broken Windows. (see what I did there?)
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Mar 13, 2017, at 18:04 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm. Someone should fix Windows.
> > Is there a bug report for that?
> >
> > --
> > Mark Wieder

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
:-)

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 07:46 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What a pane. (see what I did there because of what you did there?)
>

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You can't fix a broken Windows. (see what I did there?)
>>
>> Bob S

Re: is LCs answer folder state of the art?

Klaus major-k via use-livecode
That's shattering news.