launch iOS app with a personalised message

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

launch iOS app with a personalised message

Dave Kilroy
Hello all LiveCode coders - can you help me with this? Can't think of how to do it…

I've got a prospective client that wants to be able to send their new customers a SMS which will contain a link to the AppStore, from where they can download the app they want me to make for them. And that's fine, I can understand how that will work.

The thing is they want their customer to get a personalised message on launching the app (or pretty quickly thereafter) saying something like "Hello Mr/Mrs XXXX, thank you for downloading this new app. This is a reminder that your appointment is at time-time-date-date-date. Yours sincerely XXXXX Dental Practice" (they're dentists).

Is this possible to do? I can think of various approaches that almost make it work, but nothing that will do it all.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this problem.

…Distracted of Devon...

Dave
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: launch iOS app with a personalised message

Monte Goulding
Hmm... Could you send a username and pass too? If not then maybe the SMS links to a script that associates their ip with their details then redirects them to the app store and then the app gets that from the script. I think you would want to have a backup username and password though incase their ip changes between download and use or some other issue messes it up.

Cheers

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services

mergExt - There's an external for that!

On 01/10/2012, at 7:53 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all LiveCode coders - can you help me with this? Can't think of how to do it…
>
> I've got a prospective client that wants to be able to send their new customers a SMS which will contain a link to the AppStore, from where they can download the app they want me to make for them. And that's fine, I can understand how that will work.
>
> The thing is they want their customer to get a personalised message on launching the app (or pretty quickly thereafter) saying something like "Hello Mr/Mrs XXXX, thank you for downloading this new app. This is a reminder that your appointment is at time-time-date-date-date. Yours sincerely XXXXX Dental Practice" (they're dentists).
>
> Is this possible to do? I can think of various approaches that almost make it work, but nothing that will do it all.
>
> Thank you for any light you can shed on this problem.
>
> …Distracted of Devon...
>
> Dave
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: launch iOS app with a personalised message

Dave Kilroy
In reply to this post by Dave Kilroy
Thanks Monte, yep I can certainly sent username and password but that means user has to register themselves on the app

And thanks for the inspired IP suggestion, would not have thought of that - but it's rather fragile as a system like you say…

The closest thing I've been able to find is the 'Custom URL' scheme where an already installed app can be woken up with a personalised message (or other data) by sending a link to the phone - so once the app is installed SMS texts sent to the device can launch the app with personalised alerts (at least I think so if I've understood properly)

But that won't help with the first launch of the app after installation - unless of course a custom URL request stays in memory until the app is launched? (but that would mean the device would have to remember the custom URL whilst it goes to the AppStore, installs the app and can then recall it when launching the app for the first time - which does seem pretty unlikely…)

Has anyone used Custom URL and can they confirm or deny whether they can be used for the initial launch of an app?

Kind regards

Dave

> From: Monte Goulding <[hidden email]>
>
> Hmm... Could you send a username and pass too? If not then maybe the SMS links to a script that associates their ip with their details then redirects them to the app store and then the app gets that from the script. I think you would want to have a backup username and password though incase their ip changes between download and use or some other issue messes it up.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> M E R Goulding
> Software development services
>
> mergExt - There's an external for that!
>
> On 01/10/2012, at 7:53 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all LiveCode coders - can you help me with this? Can't think of how to do it?
>>
>> I've got a prospective client that wants to be able to send their new customers a SMS which will contain a link to the AppStore, from where they can download the app they want me to make for them. And that's fine, I can understand how that will work.
>>
>> The thing is they want their customer to get a personalised message on launching the app (or pretty quickly thereafter) saying something like "Hello Mr/Mrs XXXX, thank you for downloading this new app. This is a reminder that your appointment is at time-time-date-date-date. Yours sincerely XXXXX Dental Practice" (they're dentists).
>>
>> Is this possible to do? I can think of various approaches that almost make it work, but nothing that will do it all.
>>
>> Thank you for any light you can shed on this problem.
>>
>> ?Distracted of Devon...
>>
>> Dave
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 31
> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:14:42 -0700
> From: Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: resizing datagrids on mobile
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Andre Garzia wrote:
>
>> I think we need real tables, not the datagrid. Even though the datagrid is
>> a really impressive proof of what can be done with LiveCode alone, it is
>> really hard to use some times.
>
> When you need a form layout for displays which may exceed 32k pixels,
> the DataGrid is a great solution.
>
> But for simple lists, unless you're displaying financial data the native
> field object works great, better now in v5.5 than ever before since we
> now have zero-width columns so we can include things like record IDs
> without having to show those to the user.  Up to 4GB of data can be
> displayed easily in a single object that buffers and scolls more
> smoothly than Excel.
>
> The only drawback to fields is with financial data, since you'll need
> independent column alignment to right-align numbers while left-aligning
> text.
>
> With all the new stuff they added to fields for v5.5 I can't imagine how
> they overlooked the proposed tabAlign property:
> <http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2282>
>
> Being able to specify distinct alignments for each column is essential
> for any app that displays numeric data.
>
> With so many other long-awaited list essentials already implemented in
> v5.5, I'm hoping we'll see tabAlign in v5.5.3.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>  Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
>  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
> End of use-livecode Digest, Vol 108, Issue 52
> *********************************************
>


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham