<tabs> in the editor(s)

Jon-3
I guess I should have asked this obvious question a few weeks ago, when
it was revealed that <tab> reformats text rather than inserting the
<tab> character.

How does one insert a <tab> character using the editor(s) [including
Constellation, Jerry]?  I want to create a table of values, and I think
I need to use tabs to separate out the various values.  Or maybe I'm on
the wrong track entirely.  Won't be the first time...

;)

Jon

Re: <tabs> in the editor(s)

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jon,

In usual scripts you can use the tab constant:
put "Jon" & tab & "Bondy" into tGuy
Or if you build html by coding:
put "<p>" & "Jon" & "&#9;" & "Bondy" & "</p>" into tGuy
Is that clear?

Le 10 juil. 05 à 15:07, Jon a écrit :

> I guess I should have asked this obvious question a few weeks ago,
> when it was revealed that <tab> reformats text rather than
> inserting the <tab> character.
>
> How does one insert a <tab> character using the editor(s)
> [including Constellation, Jerry]?  I want to create a table of
> values, and I think I need to use tabs to separate out the various
> values.  Or maybe I'm on the wrong track entirely.  Won't be the
> first time...

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: <tabs> in the editor(s)

Jon-3
Eric:

Ah.  I'm getting confused because the UI for the script editor is
different than the UI for the property inspector.  <Tab>s actually work
as expected in the property inspector, just not in the editor.

ARRRGHHhhhhh.

OK.  I'm better now.  Thanks.

Jon

Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> In usual scripts you can use the tab constant:
> put "Jon" & tab & "Bondy" into tGuy
> Or if you build html by coding:
> put "<p>" & "Jon" & "&#9;" & "Bondy" & "</p>" into tGuy
> Is that clear?
>
> Le 10 juil. 05 à 15:07, Jon a écrit :
>
>> I guess I should have asked this obvious question a few weeks ago,
>> when it was revealed that <tab> reformats text rather than  inserting
>> the <tab> character.
>>
>> How does one insert a <tab> character using the editor(s)  [including
>> Constellation, Jerry]?  I want to create a table of  values, and I
>> think I need to use tabs to separate out the various  values.  Or
>> maybe I'm on the wrong track entirely.  Won't be the  first time...
>

> Best Regards from Paris,
>
> Eric Chatonet.
> So Smart Software
>
> For institutions, companies and associations
> Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
> Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch
>
> Free plugins and tutorials on my website

Re: <tabs> in the editor(s)

Alex Tweedly
Jon wrote:

> I guess I should have asked this obvious question a few weeks ago,
> when it was revealed that <tab> reformats text rather than inserting
> the <tab> character.
>
> How does one insert a <tab> character using the editor(s) [including
> Constellation, Jerry]?  I want to create a table of values, and I
> think I need to use tabs to separate out the various values.  Or maybe
> I'm on the wrong track entirely.  Won't be the first time...

I usually do something like

local myVar = "1,2,3"
replace comma by TAB in myVar

though I have been known to do

>   put "asd\twer" into a
>   replace "\t" with TAB in a

Or use a different character instead (I often use "|", in any case where
I might want to deal with "normal text" which might contain tab
characters); obviously you can't do that if you need tab-formatting in
output to fields, but otherwise it's often a better choice.

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: <tabs> in the editor(s)

Eric Chatonet
Don't be confused; No worth :-)
I shall add that in Rev prior to 2.5.1 you could type a tab in the
message box and copy it.
But since, runRev guys revised the message box stack and now,
pressing the tab key switches between upper and lower field.
More respect for guide lines but less handy :-(

Le 10 juil. 05 à 15:40, Jon a écrit :

> Ah.  I'm getting confused because the UI for the script editor is
> different than the UI for the property inspector.  <Tab>s actually
> work as expected in the property inspector, just not in the editor.
>
> ARRRGHHhhhhh.
>
> OK.  I'm better now.  Thanks.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: <tabs> in the editor(s)

Tereza Snyder
On putting tabs into output, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I usually do something like
>
> local myVar = "1,2,3"
> replace comma by TAB in myVar
>
> though I have been known to do
>

>>   put "asd\twer" into a
>>   replace "\t" with TAB in a

Don't forget the "format" function, which will replace "\t" and "\n"
with tabs and newlines AND can format numbers as you like 'em. Great
for creating a table of values, Jon.

put format("asd\twer") into a

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.