mApp resolution and aspect ratio independence framework teaser

mApp resolution and aspect ratio independence framework teaser

Monte Goulding
Hi LiveCoders

With Apple's recent announcement about app acceptance and device support I thought it would be a good to leak some info about mApp the open source mobile application framework I've been working on. So I've released this teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzvnesfwi8

The teaser doesn't go into detail about how it does what it does. If RunRev want me to I'll probably cover that at the conference which is about the time I would like to release it by. In simple terms the resolution independence part is an extension of what Chipp came up with. The layout part is as far as I know a unique take on layout management (at least in LiveCode) allowing you to specify different layout rules depending on things like orientation or the width of the screen/the pixel density. The end result is something getting close to responsive web development.

It's not entirely limited to desktop either. The two apps I'm using this on at the moment will be desktop too where the desktop version will allow the user to resize.

The original goal of the project was to make things simpler for Android deployment so while the teaser only shows iOS simulators it works the same on android.

And yes, that's two datagrids in the demo app... it scales the row template too....

Cheers

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services

mergExt - There's an external for that!

Re: mApp resolution and aspect ratio independence framework teaser

Ken Ray

On Mar 24, 2013, at 8:58 PM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi LiveCoders
>
> With Apple's recent announcement about app acceptance and device support I thought it would be a good to leak some info about mApp the open source mobile application framework I've been working on. So I've released this teaser.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzvnesfwi8
>
> The teaser doesn't go into detail about how it does what it does. If RunRev want me to I'll probably cover that at the conference which is about the time I would like to release it by. In simple terms the resolution independence part is an extension of what Chipp came up with. The layout part is as far as I know a unique take on layout management (at least in LiveCode) allowing you to specify different layout rules depending on things like orientation or the width of the screen/the pixel density. The end result is something getting close to responsive web development.
>
> It's not entirely limited to desktop either. The two apps I'm using this on at the moment will be desktop too where the desktop version will allow the user to resize.
>
> The original goal of the project was to make things simpler for Android deployment so while the teaser only shows iOS simulators it works the same on android.
>
> And yes, that's two datagrids in the demo app... it scales the row template too….

Very cool, Monte!

Looking forward to the framework when it's released...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: mApp resolution and aspect ratio independence framework teaser

Terry Judd-2
I've played with this and can vouch for the fact that Monte's come up with a pretty cool solution. No more paired std/retina card layouts for me. And, now I can finally target those pesky and varied Android devices.

Terry...

On 25/03/2013, at 12:58 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

> Hi LiveCoders
>
> With Apple's recent announcement about app acceptance and device support I thought it would be a good to leak some info about mApp the open source mobile application framework I've been working on. So I've released this teaser.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzvnesfwi8
>
> The teaser doesn't go into detail about how it does what it does. If RunRev want me to I'll probably cover that at the conference which is about the time I would like to release it by. In simple terms the resolution independence part is an extension of what Chipp came up with. The layout part is as far as I know a unique take on layout management (at least in LiveCode) allowing you to specify different layout rules depending on things like orientation or the width of the screen/the pixel density. The end result is something getting close to responsive web development.
>
> It's not entirely limited to desktop either. The two apps I'm using this on at the moment will be desktop too where the desktop version will allow the user to resize.
>
> The original goal of the project was to make things simpler for Android deployment so while the teaser only shows iOS simulators it works the same on android.
>
> And yes, that's two datagrids in the demo app... it scales the row template too....
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> M E R Goulding
> Software development services
> Bespoke application development for vertical markets
>
> mergExt - There's an external for that!

Dr Terry Judd
Senior Lecturer in Medical Education
Medical Eduction Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne