mac file name fonkyness

Mark Mitchell-2
I'm sure this issue has come up many times before, but I've been out of
the loop recently, so apologies in advance.  If I ask rev (vers. 2.03,
Mac OS 10.2x) to "put the files" for  long media file names I might get
something like this:
01-nick_cannon_ft_murphy_lee_e-40-gigolo_(remix_clean)-crn.mp3.
This is is also the name I see in the finder and is also the name
exported from iTunes if you export a song list.  And if you ask Rev "if
there is a file" by that name, it tells you "yes", there is.  But if
you "set the fileName" of a player to the above name, it does not work.
  If you ask rev to "answer file" you get a different shorter name with
some numbers replacing the end of the file name.  Compare:
01-nick_cannon_ft_mu#10271E.mp3
01-nick_cannon_ft_murphy_lee_e-40-gigolo_(remix_clean)-crn.mp3
If you set the player's file name to the number containing name, it
works fine.  Is there some way to convert from one name to another or
to get a list of these number containing names?  I suspect this has to
do with the way OS 10.2 handles really long names.  I suppose one
option might be to try to shorten all the names.
thanks,
mark mitchell
Japan

Re: mac file name fonkyness

ScottR
Recently, mark  wrote:

> I'm sure this issue has come up many times before, but I've been out of
> the loop recently, so apologies in advance.  If I ask rev (vers. 2.03,
> Mac OS 10.2x) to "put the files" for  long media file names I might get
> something like this:
> 01-nick_cannon_ft_murphy_lee_e-40-gigolo_(remix_clean)-crn.mp3.
> This is is also the name I see in the finder and is also the name
> exported from iTunes if you export a song list.  And if you ask Rev "if
> there is a file" by that name, it tells you "yes", there is.  But if
> you "set the fileName" of a player to the above name, it does not work.

A workaround was provided by Mark Waddingham: set the filename of
a your player to a *file* URL, ie
file:///Volumes/Primary/Users/mark/Desktop/really_really_really_long_filenam
e.mp3

Important: make sure to replace any spaces in the name with %20, even though
you should *not* use a fully URL encoded path.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: mac file name fonkyness

Mark Mitchell-2
Thanks to Scott and Mark W., this works like a champ if your using long
file names on a mac and trying to set the fileName of a player to these
long names.  I suppose another option is to use the "rename" command to
generate shorter file names,  but then you screw yourself if you want
to continue to use the same media in itunes.
thanks again,
mark in japan